Zero Tolerance 0470

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Here is my review of the recently purchased ZT 0470. I haven't bought a ZT for a while as my focus seemed to be taken by the likes of WE prodomintaly recently and the 2018 line up of ZT's didn't really catch my eye until I saw the ZT470, as soon as I saw it I knew I would have to get one eventually.

What the company says
This handsome new design from ZT and Dmitry Sinkevich begs to take pride of place in your collection.
Not that the 0470 is a safe queen. Far from it. It’s a highly practical, easy-to-EDC design that handles a wide range of tasks and looks good doing it.
The blade is CPM 20CV high-chromium stainless steel. This powdered metallurgy tool steel has a high volume of vanadium carbides for exceptional wear resistance and a truly long-lasting edge. The highest level of chromium of any high-vanadium steel gives it excellent corrosion resistance as well. The two-tone, satin-and-stonewashed blade finish looks handsome, while our KVT ball-bearing opening and a flipper makes the knife fast and easy to open.
The 0470’s handle is titanium with an eye-catching marbled carbon fiber insert. Instead of a formal “weave” as in standard carbon fiber sheets, for our “marbled” insert, the carbon fibers are dropped randomly onto the plate. Then resin is added to secure the fibers and produce a smooth surface. ZT leaves ours with a matte finish for an intriguing and sophisticated look. A titanium clip and a black anodized-aluminum backspacer complete the look of this refined pocket knife.

stats
Made in the USA
KVT ball-bearing opening system
Flipper
Reversible clip (left/right, tip-up)
Titanium frame lock, hardened steel lockbar insert
Steel: CPM 20CV, stonewashed & machine satin finish
Handle: Stonewashed titanium, marbled carbon fiber front insert
Blade Length: 3.4 in. (8.6 cm)
Blade Thickness: 0.121 in. (0.307 cm)
Closed Length: 4.4 in. (11.2 cm)
Overall Length: 7.8 in. (19.8 cm)
Weight: 3.3 oz. (95 g)

Pricing, the ZT 0470 costs $350 from my prefered ZT authorized dealer (Australian Knife Sales)

Zero Tolerance 0470 Titanium frame lock flipper.
The ZT 0470 ships in the usual propitiatory ZT box, with the knife shipped in a bubble wrap pouch for protection and the warranty card. These knives are proudly Built in the USA, and the box is festooned with slogans like 'over built' and 'built like a tank'.

This knife is one of ZT's 2018 releases and is designed by Dmitry Sinkevich, who is the designer of many other ZT models such as the 0450, 0452, 0456, 0460, 0462 and the 0470 clearly shows the clean and flowing design cues that Dmitry Sinkevich is known for.
I have long admired the ZT0450, but when I had the opportunity to handle one a while ago I found that this model was too small for my large hands and so I hoped ZT would make a slightly bigger 450 and to my surprise they did, and produced the 0470. This knife is among the latest more EDC friendly sized ZT models available.

Following the standard pattern, the ZT 0470 features a partially open, lightly milled and chamfered titanium frame and black aluminum back spacer. The frame has also been internal milled to reduce weight further. The back spacer is jimped and has a recessed, integrated lanyard hole. On the presentation side of the knife is a large marbled carbon fiber insert. Black hardware, including a stylized pivot (which is apparently slotted so it can be easily manipulated via the single torx screw) completement the theme of the knife in a visually striking way.
A steel lockbar insert has been included and the pivot collet serves as a overtravel stop as the lock bar has a small extension added that runs past, underneath the pivot collet. Access to the lock has been aided by a small cut out in the frame, something I wish was done on all frame locks.
Lock up is around 40%, giving plenty of lock confidence. I found no lock rock or blade play.
The flipper tab is jimped and the 0470 functions as a push button flipper. Flipping action is very good, and it fires very well. I have to say that I am amazed at how small the flipper tab is and despite its diminutive size the knife still fires exceptionally well.
Lastly a bent titanium pocket clip has been included, set up for left or right hand tip up carry. The clip isn't deep carry and a bit of the handle sticks out of the pocket, but with that being said the knife rides well in the pocket and because of its sizing doesn't take up that much pocket real estate (especially in regards to the diminutive flipper tab). The knife also goes in and out of the pocket well.
*in regards to the pocket clip I have contacted Kai USA and asked if they would supply a deep carry clip (from a ZT 0560 which I know will fit) and another black screw (to fill the empty hole in the CF side of the knife), and from previous experience they are only too happy to supply such.
*also note I did find it very difficult to get non gutted paracord through the lanyard hole, by no means a deal breaker just a heads up.

The CPM 20CV, stonewashed & machine satin finish blade features a slight drop point and is flat ground. A sharpening choil and top jimping have also been included. The blade is perfectly centered. There is some billboarding on the blade, as is ZT's fashion, a "ZT" logo on the show side, and manufacturer, designer, serial number and CPM 20cv on the other.

None of the jimping is too aggressive and seems to work well. Fit and finish is up to ZT's usual excellent standards.

During cutting tests I found this knife to be a really nice slicer, the reasonably thin blade stock and flat grind work to make slicing with the knife efficient and I didn't detect any hotspots during any of my cutting tests. You will note I didn't mention keenness, the knife arrived from the factory shaving sharp. The cutting I did didn't seem to affect keenness all that much and it only took a few passes on the SharpMaker and a stropping to make it shave again after my cutting tests.

Conclusion
The ZT0470 represents a classy, sophisticated and very refined gentleman's folder in a near perfect smallish package very well suited to EDC carry. While it is right on the threshold of being too small for my XXL sized hands it is still larger enough to afford a full 4 finger grip, while maintaining its small overall package. Technically the 0470 is close to perfect, beautiful fit and finish, a snappy, smooth action, great ergonomics and built using top of the line materials. I have to say this model is quickly becoming my favorite ZT (of the 5 models I now own) and I highly recommend it.
As soon as I started handling the ZT 470 I was immediately reminded of my favorite 'gentleman's knife', the Reate blue Wave, and side by side they have strikingly similar lines and the same air of classy sophistication. I am glad ZT is venturing down this road, to a smaller EDC friendly packaged general purpose folder rather than only seeming to concentrating on large over built tanks.

1-5 star system 1 star poor/fail 2 star below average 3 star average 4 above average 5 star excellent
-Hands on/Ergos 5 stars (just large enough to allow my XXL hands a 4 finger grip)
-Materials/Features 5 stars
-Build Quality/Fit and Finish 5 stars
- Value/Price point 4.75 stars
-Aesthetics 5 stars
Overall rating (average of all above) 4.95 stars
(AFAIK that is the highest rating I have given a knife in a review, which speaks to how much I like this model, for me and my tastes I couldn't think of any way of 'improving' the 0470. I have heard several YouTube reviewers say they are disappointed that ZT didn't add a CF panel to the lock side of the knife, for symmetry, but I don't mind that the knife only has one side featuring CF)

For full disclosure I would also add I have XXL hands, and that must play in to my review process, and the readers should keep that in mind when reading my reviews and recommendations.
Lastly I ONLY use folding knives for light cutting duties, so I will not do 'hard use' cutting tasks with any folder, that's what I have fixed blades for, so cutting tests consisted of cutting paper, cardboard, packaging, paracord, some food prep (again, not a task I use folders for for the most part) and other duties a stay-at-home-dad would use a cutting tool for around the house.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Update, the ZT0470 doesn't come from the factory with a deep carry clip and as I have done in the past (with my 0456) I emailed Kai USA to see if they would send me a deep carry clip and a few black screws (to fill in the holes for left hand carry option), long story short two clips and two screws turned up free of charge.
To say I am happy with ZT's customer service is an understatement. The clips are from the ZT 0560.
Not sure I will stay with the deep carry clip though, it doesn't quite suit the knife as part of it sticks out, proud of the frame. I have found a custom milled timascus clip for the model so I may go with it down the track. The screw filled hole looks a lot better now. Either way great service and good to have options.

and the clip fitted

and the part that sits proud of the frame

and in the pocket

and factory

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Good for them. This knife and company in general get such rave reviews, it only makes sense to look after their customers; they can afford the small cost of that, it's very good for business. How many businesses do this though? Actually, the Americans seem to be leading the way here. Quite a few have no questions asked guarantees with outdoor gear (leupold optics, and a few knife brands)

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I agree mate, and am blown away with Kai USA's warranty and customer service, though I do wonder why they don't send their knives with all the holes filled with screws from the factory (a simple thing that would 'finish' the knives off). When one is spending $350 (the cost of the ZT0470) on a knife one expects a certain level of fit and finish.

I will also say I have had very good experience with Kizer, Reate and Real Steel as well concerning customer service, each of these companies go the extra mile to satisfy their customers.