your thoughts on bamboo socks?

Robert Le Mal

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hi People,
I am new to the forum. I've started walking again after a 20 odd year gap. I used to hike a lot as young bloke then kind of lost interest after the army kind of made it not so much fun.

Anyway I'm slowly easing myself back into bush walking, mostly short 2-3 hour walks, sometimes easy sometimes enough to push the pulse up.
I've searched the forum for posts on bamboo socks. I used to wear thick wool blend socks like Explorers (they get a good wrap on this forum) and sometimes the so called 'army' socks.
I got talked into a pair of bamboo socks while buying some clothes at Yakka, the socks seemed expensive and I'd never heard of bamboo as a fibre. Anyway I tried a pair, and they felt sooooooooo comfortable.
I've been wearing bamboo socks on my short walks and they seem ok but sometimes a bit damp after hard exercise.

If you have had good/bad/indifferent experiences using bamboo socks I'd love to hear from you.

Regards

Robert

vanNek

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Love my Bamboo work socks!

They take along time to dry but... Sadly thats a trade off...

I prefer the the Bamboo Textiles brand. Mentor (I think the brand is) are average quality and don't last like the bamboo textiles do.

"No half measures......"

kiwibro

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Hi Robert
I have worn bamboo socks before and rate them for comfort in hot and muggy/ wet conditions. Durability in my opinion is not as good as the wool socks I have worn but I believe the shoes I was wearing at the time played a massive part in this wear and tear.
But the age old trade off in comfort v durability must be weighed up by the individual.
Dan

Paul Smith

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I have a couple of pairs I got from work, they are very comfortable.

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I bought two pairs this afternoon. Aussie Disposals had them on sale. I'll be wearing them later this week out bush.
Bamboo is becoming increasing popular for making all kinds of fabric, clothes as well as socks etc.

Luke777

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I've been wearing bamboo socks for work and hiking now for over 3 years. Best socks out, comfortable, durable and also anti microbial. After washing they dry best turned inside out.

Robert Le Mal

Russell Coight
Reaction score
thanks for the responses so far, generally positive by the sound of it. I wore some Mentor brand bamboo socks today and they're not as thick as some other brands ... I'll probably avoid them for that reason in the future or experiment with a thin sock underneath them.

SittingBull

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I have a few pairs of bamboo socks.

They do absorb a lot of sweat and wick moisture away from the skin very well, I believe they also have some antibacterial properties and don't need to be washed as often as cotton socks.

However, they are not very durable at all. All three pairs have large holes where my toes should be. Though this took a long time possibly a year or more to occur and they were often constantly saturated with sweat for hours or more.

I personally prefer merino/poly blends now for a good balance between moisture absorption and durability but for those really hot and humid days, bamboo socks have their place.

Shazam

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
It's just another way of marketing rayon ......I suspect.