Yabbies

mike68

Les Stroud
Reaction score
over here a method used to catch signal crayfish is to get an old bike wheel , remove the spokes then cover the wheel with chicken wire. tie three lengths of string/paracord at say 12 , 4 and 8 oclock then tie the three loose ends together to a further length of cord.
wire your bait to the centre and drop into the water(keepng hold of the loose end!).
After a suitable length of time?????? pull the wheel in and retrive your grub
Works best if can bring the wheel up vertically so may need to attach it to a pole or something.
Mike

How many did you get Corin???

Last edited:

bubba5603

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I had to read this thread as the curiosity as to what was a "yabbie" was killing me. Here we call them Crayfish. I too use to catch them as a kid, but did not know at the time that they were edible. Probably for the better as the crick that we use to catch them in made pretty much world wide fame in the mid '80s (Pottersburg Creek in London Ontario Canada) as being heavily polluted with PCB's by one of the local manufacturing companys (Westinghouse I think). Did a bit of diving for Atlantic lobsters and scallops on the east coast but was more interested in the starfish...

Quinkan

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Got to love a big feed of yabbies. Crusty bread, lemon myrtle mayo, big hit of chilli...

Most in my area seem to be vegetarian. A few hits on meat in the opera house but consistently higher numbers off par-boiled pumpkin or sweet potato.

Try slowly cooking em with a fair whack of salt and pounding em down into paste, and use it like bechan style shrimp paste in se asian curries, hot and sour soups and sambals... Delicious! Really packs a punch.

Michael

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
ok done I home brew to so dont worry about the beers just some tins of cat food

mike68

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Went out with the boy (6) today on a stretch of the Thames. We were out for around 45 mins and got 14 signal crayfish
062.jpg
Used a bit of rabbit tied to a rock ...... leave it a minute then raise ,carefully stick a kiddies fishing/rockpool net under and lift.

Remoteriverman

Russell Coight
Reaction score
In the Kimberley there are certain rivers (March is often a good month for this) which you can go to at night with a headtorch on, and just wait at the edge of the water. The yabbies seem to be attracted to the light, and it's not a drama to just spear them quickly in the back with a 5-pronged fish spear (either home-made or store bought) from above. Got 16 whoppers in 10 minutes this way one night...

Cheers,
Kevin Casey (author of Australian Bush Survival Skills)
www.remoteriverman.com

Quinkan

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I wonder about the ethics of lamp fishing...I mean yeah, they can't help it, and starving is a silly idea but I've seen a few too many tourists up in the straits fill an esky with a glowstick, just to see all the same fish get chucked out when they dragged their @rses back to civilisation.

A technique is just that, of course, but I worry making things too easy will make all of our futures a little bit harder than expected.

To make a mockery of that, I've collected alright numbers of yabs and cherubim by propping up a few shiny drink can bottoms during a full moon, and occasionally prickling the water s edge with a fish spear. Poor little idiots, can't resist shiny things. Reminds me of a few mates of mine...

Aussie Forager CQ

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi All, brings back great memories reading through the stories of catching a feed out of the creek with a trap or bit of string. I think all kids should have memories like that.

Now....am I the only one here that calls them Crawchies??? At home we have always called them Crawchies and Yabbies have always been the little fellas in the saltwater that you can pump for bait, like this little fella....

Anyone else with me????

P.S
Had anyone ever eaten the above critters that I call yabbies?

Bernoulli

Les Stroud
Reaction score
When I was a kid I lived near New Orleans. Crawfish (Yabbies) are taken very seriously there. I used to cach them with a bit of bacon on a string, or a trap - screen with bait (milt = spleen) tied in the middle and a string to pull it up.

Here's how to cook them:

Ingredients

1 1/2 gallons water
10 bay leaves
1 cup salt
3/4 cup ground red pepper
1/4 cup whole allspice
2 tablespoons mustard seeds
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 tablespoon dill seeds
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon whole cloves
4 celery ribs, quartered

3 medium-size onions, halved
3 garlic bulbs, halved crosswise
5 pounds crawfish

Preparation

Bring 1 1/2 gallons water to a boil in a 19-quart stockpot over high heat. Add bay leaves and next 12 ingredients to water. Return to a rolling boil.
Reduce heat to medium, and cook, uncovered, 30 minutes.
Add crawfish. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat; cook 5 minutes.
Remove stockpot from heat; let stand 30 minutes. (For spicier crawfish, let stand 45 minutes.)
Drain crawfish. Serve on large platters or newspaper.

Beer is necessary.

Last edited:

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
+1 on these guys..

They taste great just boiled and I was amazed where we found them..

My uncle, cousin and I had a feast of these guys ages ago in vic.

We used a piece of meat on a string and a scoop made out of wire and fence wire we found at the location.

I enjoy these guys more than fresh fish.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Hi All, brings back great memories reading through the stories of catching a feed out of the creek with a trap or bit of string. I think all kids should have memories like that.

Now....am I the only one here that calls them Crawchies??? At home we have always called them Crawchies and Yabbies have always been the little fellas in the saltwater that you can pump for bait, like this little fella....

Anyone else with me????

P.S
Had anyone ever eaten the above critters that I call yabbies?
Crawchies must be a Rocky/Gladstone thing because my X brother in law (from up that way) called them that too.
When I was a kid we called the freshwater ones 'Lobbies'.
As far as the saltwater ones Ive only used them for bait and they are usually called yabbies too.
Nowdays with the spread of redclaw when I talk about freshwater crayfish I will say 'blueclaw' for Cherax destructor and 'Redclaw'for
Cherax quadricarinatus.

They all taste pretty good cooked in salted water.

Timmy

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Anywhere is worth a try mate. Any creek or dam or river.

We called em lobbies in Brisbane when I was a kid. I still do. Pumped yabbies for fishing, saltwater.

I put 2 in my fish tank along with some guppies and shrimp. Each morning there would be less shrimp and guppies. At night when it was dark sometimes I put a red filtered torch on the tank and they would be out hunting. Once one somehow jumped out of the tank and went walking around the house. I released them back into the creek.

Last edited:

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Gilgies from the swamps around my place when I was a kid growing up in South Yunderup. Cooked 'em in old tins over small fires Mum said we weren't allowed to light. Awesome. We went taddying while we waited.
Sometimes get a bit of aniseed oil and put that on the bait. They would go crazy for that.
I think you're not allowed to do that any more.
We used to go marroning on the farms around my cousins' place at Pemberton. THAT is the premier freshwater crustacean. I've even seen them wandering around 20m from the edge of a swamp when I was out four wheel driving.
My uncle had a monster one mounted on a board. It was a beer can between the eyes and took three blokes to haul it in... Not quite but it was HOOOGE...
Cheers
Bloffy