BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

• As of the 01/01/2023 the Bushcraft Oz Forum is now closed and has been placed in Archive mode. New Posts and Post Replies have been disabled but existing content can still be viewed. For more information please see the following post for more infomation. It is our goal to retain the wondeful contributions to the Bushcraft community over the years and a more appropriate way of displaying this is being considered for the future so the information is not lost. A perminent web archive of the forum state as of 30 Jan 2022 has been captured and can be viewed herea>.

Thank you all for a wonderful adventure and for your contributions over the years!

Wuben G2 Keychain Light ( Review )

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score

Review was made possible by FlashlightBrand dot com . ( As in sent for review )

So , a while ago I used to test / review flashlights . I was a FLashaholic !
At any one time I may have had 10 or 20 flashlights ready to rock N roll ! I only have half a dozen ready to R&R , or there about's now . I dont have a clue how many hundred flashlights I own and dont want to know ! Like the US army says , we wont ask and you dont have to tell ! ( how many flashlights you own )
But flashlightbrand reached out and asked me to do a review !

The Wuben G2 is a Keychain Light designed along the lines ( to me ) , a little like a mobile phone . So is some what distinctive from your regular run of flashlights and some what familiar to mobile phoneaholics .

Wuben1.jpg

Pictured is the Wuben G2 alongside some AAA pocket flashlights .

Wuben2-1.jpg

Wuben3.jpg

Lets start with Charging :

The included charging cable is on the short side , but the Wuben G2 is nice and light so should not put any strain on the cable .
As the light came the battery was empty . Charge current was around 0.33A to 0.35A ( amps ) and after some 45 minutes the charging had ended . As reported by the USB charge meter that shows charge current . The charge rate does appear to be very CC and to be fair I haven't watched it like a hawk . But every time I looked it was 0.33 or 0.35 amps or finished with no charge current . It's really good to not see a insane charge current for such a small light , which should help battery life .

User interface :

On one side of the light there is the USB charge port and on the other side ( top of the light ) is the on off button .
A) Press and hold to turn on the light , takes about one second .
B) To change modes , press and hold the on off button after the light has been turned on . Holding the button down when starting the light will do nothing .
C) Press and hold to cycle through the light levels ( 4 ) .
D) To turn the light off , just a quick press and release .
E) What mode / light level you turn the light off in , is the mode / light level the G2 will start in .
F) Turbo Mode ... ( Turbo ) ... Ok , if for some reason you need Turbo Mode ? Turn on the light , a quick double tap on the on off switch will activate Turbo mode .
To exit Turbo
A) press and hold to exit turbo mode but still have the light on
B) A quick click to turn the light off ... After which the light will start in your preferred mode .

The UI ( user interface ) is very intuitive and easy to use ( for me ) . Small children and the elderly might ( might ) find it challenging , especially if their dexterity is already declining . But for the average Joe or Joline six pack , there should be no issue at all . You cant really feel the on off button , but you know where it is and pressing that spot works every time . So there is no button tell ! There is just the knowing . You know where it is and you know where to press .
Turbo mode ? The light is made from plastic and from reading / watching several other reviews ..... People have commented on the light getting warm / hot with extended High / Turbo use .. I would suggest that if you need something for extended use (?) , get a flashlight !

The design :

Did I mention this keychain light reminds me of a mobile phone , you kind of hold it like a mobile phone . So I guess for millions of people , they should be quite comfortable with this design . The big selling point for me is the CLIP ! It allows you to attach the G2 to your shirt / jacket / pocket ( what ever ) , pointed in the direction you need light leaving your hands free . Actually I really like that . And the G2 is light enough so as to not annoy the living hell out of you as your moving about ( I really like that ) . I have a great headlamp sent to me for review , love that thing for putting light where it's needed . Just one little fly in the ointment !
It's heavy enough to slap me as I move about .. That can really tick me off sometimes . The G2 weighs so little , it wont happen ! Slap it in a headband and use it as a work light .

Conclusion :

Can I draw a conclusion ?
A) I like the UI
B) I like the light levels ( 4 ) The Turbo is nice / it pumps / butt! Does it need to be there ? Something for other people to decide !
C) It is made from plastic .. But I don't see the problem as this is supposed to fill the role of a keychain light , this I suppose means occasional and limited use ! If you need a flashlight , buy a flashlight !
D) Will it run for a long time , sure , why not ! Just drop the light level so as to avoid temperature issues .
E) Do I like the G2 , actually , yes I do . I have been using two Keychain Nitecores as house lights ( emergency ) for several years now . And I always fumble a little with the switches . ( Just a little ) This G2 will live next to my bed from now on , the UI is just so easy .. Perfect for when you wake from your slumber , the power is out and the lights wont turn on and you need to tinkle ! ( Hmmmm = Hands Free )

I would like to thank FlashlightBrand for sending the G2 for review . I was not sure I would like the G2 or find a use for it , but having it in my hands and using it . I can't help but find more and more purpose for the G2 .

Last edited: