Wood gas stoves

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Sometimes known as gasifier stoves (though they are often fan-forced) ...

Having been messing about with an original Biolite, it's sparked [see what I did there?] my interest in wood stoves, especially the wood-gas type. Much like the Bushbuddy or the Solo.

My question is, do they actually work as claimed? I've seen many a review on YouTube, but more often that not the reviewer treats them like a regular twig stove, that is with a bottom up fire, stuffed with fuel. I've yet to see a vid with the reburning hot gas happening. Is it all to do with the fuel loading, or do they just not work as well as claimed?

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Sometimes known as gasifier stoves (though they are often fan-forced) ...

Having been messing about with an original Biolite, it's sparked [see what I did there?] my interest in wood stoves, especially the wood-gas type. Much like the Bushbuddy or the Solo.

My question is, do they actually work as claimed? I've seen many a review on YouTube, but more often that not the reviewer treats them like a regular twig stove, that is with a bottom up fire, stuffed with fuel. I've yet to see a vid with the reburning hot gas happening. Is it all to do with the fuel loading, or do they just not work as well as claimed?
I have one, but haven't used it yet. I often think about it, but then go mountain biking or something. I have seen video of them working. It takes a little while (like 5mins or less) to get some heat in the jacket then the hot air rises through. I tend to use things for a purpose, not just going out and making coffee for the fun of it. I would take it on a bike tour for example, along with a fixed blade knife. I'd use the knife to baton finger diameter sticks into appropriate lengths. You don't want to carry too much on a bike. I'd also use it if we were camping out of the van, although then I'd take my hatchet or repurposed cleaver :) I wouldn't take it on an extended walking trip though - I've discovered the freedom of no stove on long walks where I invariably end up doing a day or two of 14 or even 16 hours. It's nice to not have to cook sometimes. I will use it and I like having it because just like the recent shortages of some things I like to be prepared - it seems a good backup. If the lights went out at night time I can also lay my hand on several torches, not including the ones in my day pack. There are also a few vids on making your own.

Last edited:

T.C.

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I use a titanium lixada wood gasifier stove when doing long distance hikes, much lighter than carrying a gas canister and stove but less convenient. It works great as a wood stove, but to make it work properly as a gasifier had had to add a titanium disc in the bottom of the burn chamber with smaller holes to restrict airflow to slow the burn time. I also made another titanium disc to set the stove on as I accidentally charred a park bench once from the transferred head (even though there is a one inch air gap).

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I use a titanium lixada wood gasifier stove when doing long distance hikes, much lighter than carrying a gas canister and stove but less convenient. It works great as a wood stove, but to make it work properly as a gasifier had had to add a titanium disc in the bottom of the burn chamber with smaller holes to restrict airflow to slow the burn time. I also made another titanium disc to set the stove on as I accidentally charred a park bench once from the transferred head (even though there is a one inch air gap).
funny you say that - the first hobo stove I made burnt a hole through a deck :oops: fast and furious.

dataphage

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I have a solo stove which I've used a little. When you pre-load it with fuel and properly stuff it you get the gas reburning and it boils things a lot faster. It's been a while since I used it but don't remember it beings as effective if you just use it as a twig stove.

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
After far too many hours of watching Youtube reviews, I pulled the trigger on this Toaks knock-off/clone.
From what I could tell, the taller pot stand section gives the better results for heat, compared to a Solo or Bush Buddy.
We'll see.

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
After far too many hours of watching Youtube reviews, I pulled the trigger on this Toaks knock-off/clone.
From what I could tell, the taller pot stand section gives the better results for heat, compared to a Solo or Bush Buddy.
We'll see.
Yes, that could make sense - taller jacket, air gets warmer and increased velocity! With portable stuff there is always a compromise with portability and efficiency. The length of rifle barrels for example :D, or even this, which is made for efficiency.

Last edited: