BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's scat and what is that!

Lokenfold

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new, I've been reading the forum and finding that's it's great resource.
I couldn't go past the tracking section without posting this little beauty which I found many years ago near a water-tower in South East QLD.

I've only ever seen a scat like this once and thought I'll share, who knows maybe you have seen it before and can provide a positive ID for both prey & predator.

scat.jpg

(I'm thinking fox and swamp wallaby)

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Humm. Some kind of macropod paw?

Edit: Oh. Just saw your comment at the end in brackets. Yeah thats my guess on the prey, type of animal that is. Someone will probably be able to help on the species. Fox is scat is a likely culprit for the predictor. Being a fox you could deduce it would be a smaller macropod species, could be a younger roo of course.

30+fox+scat.JPG

Welcome to the forum mate!

Last edited:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Hi Lokenfold,
I would not be confident to suggest a positive ID.
First, is the association of the marsupial foot and the scat just accidental rather than all one scat?
What part of SEQld was the pic taken? Are swamp wallabies the only species of wallabies in the area?
Were there hairs, bones, insect fragments and or chewed plant matter in the the formed scat on the right?
I would crush the formed scat slightly with a stick and take a close up pic next time.
My speculation would be that the cross section of the foot is too large to be part of the same scat on the right.
Yes the foot is most likely wallaby but not sure about the formed scat without a closer look.

Hairy

Lokenfold

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hi Blake & Hairyman,

Yep looks like fox scat, but how strange to find it next to the paw?!
I don't think it was accidental, unless someone put the paw there next to the scat.

How I believe it came to be is the fox would have been carrying the paw (road kill as no carcass was nearby), did it's business, put the paw down next to the scat to sniff it's scat(?) and then ran off (maybe the smell was really bad lol) or something scared it off.

Thanks for welcome :)
The photo was taken in Karawatha State Forrest in QLD about 10years ago, about 300m's from water-tower on the sealed road, I came across it on an early morning walk.
Anyhow, it's not something you see everyday.
Cheers
Tom.

P.S: If anyone knows what type of macro-pod please share.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Only on bushcraft oz would somebodies first post be about poo! Welcome to the forum Lokenfold, stick up an intro in the intro forum and tell us a bit about yourself!

Lokenfold

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Only on bushcraft oz would somebodies first post be about poo! Welcome to the forum Lokenfold, stick up an intro in the intro forum and tell us a bit about yourself!

lol, now that you mention it - that is kind of strange!