BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mammal Who left their skull behind?

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Hey all,

Got out for a wonder today and found my first bones..

I have no knowledge in this sort of stuff, so thought you may be able to let me know what it is?

Found in suburban bush, near creek. No other bones could be found in the immediate area. Lenght of the skull was about 40mm.

Possum was my first guess?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

koalaboi

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Great thread,

Thanks.

I would disagree with the skull as ringtail skull for 2 reasons;

1. the prominent sharp ridgeline above the eyes and
2. the length of the snout in front of the eyes

Both the above characteristics are more apparent on the brushtail possum skull.

KB

birder

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I called it as a likely ringtail, due to the shape of the molars, the more crowded dentition (the premolar and canine are more spaced out in a brushtail), and it is lacking the enlarged 2nd premolar that brushtails seem to have.

on closer inspection and googling, I'm pretty sure it's a ringtail: This skull's dental formula is I3:C1:p3:M4, which is the same as a ringtail. A brushtail's dental formula is I3:C1:p2:M4.

Cheers, Mike

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
well Lep at least we can see your guess was good..its a "possum"

"hello possums" said in my best dame edna voice :non sono stato io:

koalaboi

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I called it as a likely ringtail, due to the shape of the molars, the more crowded dentition (the premolar and canine are more spaced out in a brushtail), and it is lacking the enlarged 2nd premolar that brushtails seem to have.

on closer inspection and googling, I'm pretty sure it's a ringtail: This skull's dental formula is I3:C1:p3:M4, which is the same as a ringtail. A brushtail's dental formula is I3:C1:p2:M4.

Cheers, Mike

I only had a quick count of the teeth as that's the limit of my dental knowledge. Sounds like a pretty definitive call.

KB