Which Underpants !! ??

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
This is NOT a “show me your underpants” thread !

The time has come for me to buy some new “outdoor” underpants and I was wondering what brands other people use, and why.

I’m looking for something NOT made of cotton:
- if you sit on a wet surface with cotton undies, they tend to get wet, then stay wet. Even if your pants are “waterproof”, they often seem to wick moisture through.

Comfortable:
- I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and so is comfort.
- I’ve never had issues with chafing and rubbing, but I know this can be an issue for some people

Not commando:
- I’m an undies ON kind of guy

Swimming:
- When hiking, if opportunity presents etc, it may be appropriate to use undies as bathers, rather than take a separate garment or go skinny dipping; so something which doesn't go transparent or get waterlogged etc

I’ve had a bit of a look around and have seen the Exofficio brand. Has anyone (guys or gals) used these and what did you think ?
http://www.exofficio.com/products/mens/underwear
(No affiliation)

These seem to be: Lightweight, come in a variety of “cuts”, anti-microbial, quick dry, non-cotton, hardwearing, low friction, moisture wicking, odor resistant ... or so they say

What do you use and works for you ?

DJ*

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I like wool Aussie, wicks well, cool in summer, warm in winter, drys fast, not transparent, very comfy and great all rounder. Icebreaker Merino wool my favourite. Very durable and long lasting too. Not tried Exofficio though...DJ

DKDAM

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I like to use Under Armour Sonic Compression shorts. They are very comfortable, wicking and prevent any sort of chafing. Similar to the exofficio in that they are stretchy.

Have worn these swimming and they dry very quickly.

vanNek

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Yeah I use the under armor boxer style ones. I would like some slightly longer ones for hiking but these go ok. They are generous sorta size to... But need to firm.

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
Alfa sports active brief From Kmart if they still sell them. Fit and performance leaves nothing to be desired. (Have been using for about a year;When Kmart first stocked them.) A bargain at $4 or $5 but when I saw the last few going for $2 each several weeks back, I snapped them up in case they don't restock.

Coolmax- Polyester and elastine.

I was actually going to post about them if I saw them in Kmart again.

I have some good Bonds ones of a similar material but can't find them anymore either.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Some great info guys.

I went for a walk at lunchtime.

Big W:
Had a brand of (men's) undies called "Tradie" - about 3 or 4 different types.
They included: a coolmax fabric in one; one called "Work 'n Surf" (yes its bathers and undies in one); and even one with safety reflective patches ... one can only imagine ....
(... but to be fare it would make it easy to spot someone who's gone for a midnight leak ... )

Costs were $10 - $15 depending on which one you choose.

KMart:
- didn't seem to have anything except cotton and some other materials which weren't very clearly labeled (a cotton blend I think)

Rebel Sport
- had one brand, but I can't recall what it was. I think the Exofficio were about the same $ and seemed a bit better (???) (both about $30)

Several of the Bushwalking shops in town stock the Exofficio undies for Men and Women (top and bottom). (Cost approx $30 depending on which cut you go for - briefs, long, boxer etc)

Any more suggestions, questions and recommendations gratefully received

Tezza

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Exofficio ones are good, I use them when hiking, only need one pair for a trip of a few days. They dry pretty quickly and are fairly comfy. They probably get a little woofier than wool, but not as bad as cotton or lycra

Shazam

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I scored some ex officio boxer briefs from Massdrop last year and they do wear very well

Shazam

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Presuming your steering clear of the Joe Snyder stuff.....there's a decent sale on merino jox at icebreaker right now.....

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
Just a heads up, Kmart have restocked the briefs that I spoke of above. Red and blue only. At $3 each why not.
I buy all my briefs a size or two larger to get the fit I like. Many are cut too low for my liking.

karl

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Got myself some Rothco poly pro long underpants and cut the legs off. Brilliant!!! $ 20 US

Paul Smith

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I use the Tradie ones from Big W, I like the long legs so you don't chafe, The ones I were when going hiking are like bike pants but not as tight, very comfy and quick dry.

Paul

Totumpole

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I like wool Aussie, wicks well, cool in summer, warm in winter, drys fast, not transparent, very comfy and great all rounder. Icebreaker Merino wool my favourite. Very durable and long lasting too. Not tried Exofficio though...DJ
I'll second the icebreaker merino wool numbers. A sound investment

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I wear nothing now but Explorer holeproof ones think I got them from BigW about $15 a pair. look and feel like bike shorts have worn them in the malayan jungles for days on end with no stink they dry quick and I have swam in Lake Mackenzie with loads of tourists around and no one screamed that im in my pants. Plus with the way I fart I have yet to hole a pair so they live up to the reputation.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Out bush.I have started wearing the Maxx bikeshort style. I have walked 50km+ in two days at New Year, no chafe.
I have worn them for a week straight with only bird baths and discrete wet wipe baths. No problems. A bit woofy by the end but after a wash, ready for duty again. They are a cotton elastine mix of undisclosed ratios but they work for me. Probably about $7-$10 @ a guess. Never really had a problem with a wet bum. In my experience, they seem to dry pretty quick but they seem to breath ok. At night, I try and let them air out, even if it is just undoing the button on my pants to let some air in....
@ Greatbloke:I buy all my briefs a size or two larger to get the fit I like. no one likes a braggart.....
I tend to use the four way, four day method quite successfully.
Day 1: undies the right way around.
Day 2: undies back to front.
Day 3: undies right way around but inside out.
Day4: undies inside out and back to front.
By then the crusty bits have fallen off and you are good to go again.....soz. Had to be said.
Cheers
Bloffy

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I tend to use the four way, four day method quite successfully.
Day 1: undies the right way around.
Day 2: undies back to front.
Day 3: undies right way around but inside out.
Day4: undies inside out and back to front.
By then the crusty bits have fallen off and you are good to go again.....soz. Had to be said.
Cheers
Bloffy
.... Day 5: the undies can carry the pack themselves and you just walk along behind ?

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I use the same as Bloffy, although having read his post I'll decline the offer of a share! Chafing is one of the reasons I always take Fixomul with me. It has made holidays bearable when the kids have chafed badly in the surf as well.

I didn't notice Bloffy had his flies open last time we went for a walk...

Reminds me of a joke " what's pink and wrinkled and hangs out your underwear?"

Your mum.

Last edited: