Whelks/Winkles - safe to eat?

Totumpole

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I have eaten winkles back in the UK many times and know they are safe to eat. However I am not so familiar with the species here and what is and isn't safe.

Can anyone identify these whelks/winkles/sea snails? Are they safe to eat? They were collects from the rocks on a beach near Darwin at low tide.

These will probably just get used as bait until I know.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Not sure about that one, not the typical 'long bum' or 'mud crawler' usually eaten as bush tucker in the north.
Nearest I can see from a quick look at my sea shells guide is 'Knobby Drupe'.
Commonly eaten similar molluscs are Telescopium telescopium and Terebralia palustris.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telescopium_(gastropod)
Usually found near mangroves and mud banks.
I wouldn't eat anything found near ship yards, ports, boat moorings etc.
Cone shells can be deadly so make sure you (or especially kids) don't pick up any of these by mistake.

Totumpole

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Not sure about that one, not the typical 'long bum' or 'mud crawler' usually eaten as bush tucker in the north.
Nearest I can see from a quick look at my sea shells guide is 'Knobby Drupe'.
Commonly eaten similar molluscs are Telescopium telescopium and Terebralia palustris.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telescopium_(gastropod)
Usually found near mangroves and mud banks.
I wouldn't eat anything found near ship yards, ports, boat moorings etc.
Cone shells can be deadly so make sure you (or especially kids) don't pick up any of these by mistake.
Thanks for that. I've had "long bums" before, and by the name "mud crawler" I can only assume they are found in similar habitat - ie the mud around mangrove roots.

I am a good hour or so away from Darwin, and I've only seen one boat all day! However, I think they will remain bait for now.

Last edited: