Whats your rig......

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Most of us Bushwalkers who fish use telescopic rods with either a simple inexpensive egg-beater or closed face reel, and lures. That way we can cast, try a few more, then fold it away and continue walking. On longer trips we'd set up camp early and fish until sunset = dinner time to eat freshly caught fish! (Fish = bass, perch and trout depending on season and location)

The other advantage of relatively short telescopic rods in Oz creeks is the reduced chance of snagging the rod or line on overhead branches, and the accuracy of casting within a few centimetres of snags, rocks, overhangs and other fish hideouts.

The general rig is to have a snap swivel on the end of the line so lures can be changed quickly to suit conditions. (Coincidentally, have used this rig saltwater fishing in rivers and caught the odd flathead.)

Anthiron

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
My Travel combo

Flextec Nomad traveler multi piece carbon fly rod and Allen trout 2 loaded with a #7 WF floating/sink tip line.

I have other rods but nothing as compact as this.

Nick

Last edited:

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I have a pending trip to NZ in 2 weeks so grabbed myself a new travel rod, in case I feel like throwing out some hard bodies lures or even some bait instead of the fly when I'm over there.....
Here's the new toy a 704L Shakespeare 2-4kg 7ft 4 piece carbon fiber job....... Matched with a shimano stradic 1000 that is off the estuary rig.......

Hopefully there will be nice trout pics to follow on return.......

20140831_155229.jpg

Last edited: