Whats your rig......

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
A lot of the other sub forums have a thread like this so I thought why not.......

Show off your bush rig/rod for catching fish, weather it be a primitive setup or the latest carbon fiber travel rod from shimano.....

How do you catch your fish on your BC adventures?????

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
This is my favorite at the moment....

A 5/6 weight fly combo, pre made tapered leaders, I also carry a spool of normal line to make my own, and a small waterproof fly box chocka block with every different fly I can find in the hope that one day I will be able to pick the right fly for the job.....

fly setup.jpg

Tas

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Also a 5/6 wt bloke when in the fresh
Have been toying with tenkara which I think meshes in with my BC style
Seasons closed here for my trout waters so been chucking fluff at the local estuary with a salt set-up

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Seasons closed here for my trout waters so been chucking fluff at the local estuary with a salt set-up
having any luck in the salt water?

I have a pretty decent estuary system where I am that produces some nice bream, my PB so far is 1.89kg (unweighted crab for bait floated using a stick), next will be trying to get a bream on a fly which, from what I hear, is not easy......

Tas

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Nah not easy mate, find an oyster bed and smash some shells at low tide then swim a fly on the incoming .

Tas

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Free burley, the black bream down here smash them for food with their teeth so it's like maccas drive through for them if the jobs already done !

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Free burley, the black bream down here smash them for food with their teeth so it's like maccas drive through for them if the jobs already done !

We do the same thing but with mussels, smash a heap of shells and either use mussel on a hook or swim some lures through the burley trail.......

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Getting back to rigs......

This is the other addition my fly kit......

vest.jpg

Picked it up cheap as from good old anaconda when they downsized their fly fishing range, practically gave them away, got one for me and one for my pop....... excellent piece of kit.......

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Had any luck on the tenkara tas?

Ive seen it done but never had a crack myself, seems like an interesting way to fish.....

Should throw some pics of your gear up if you can be bothered. ...

Cheers

Tas

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Sorry jarrad , should of worded that better, I've been toying with the idea of tenkara, havnt actually had a crack, I did tie a few tenkara flies ready but got sidetracked and havnt sourced a rod yet . But the minimalist style of it suits a bushcraft person in my book , small streams/ pan size fish/ remote/ patience/ stalking/ etc next season for sure

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Sorry jarrad , should of worded that better, I've been toying with the idea of tenkara, havnt actually had a crack, I did tie a few tenkara flies ready but got sidetracked and havnt sourced a rod yet . But the minimalist style of it suits a bushcraft person in my book , small streams/ pan size fish/ remote/ patience/ stalking/ etc next season for sure

Fair enough, keep us posted when you do eventually give it a shot......

How does a tenkara fly differ from a regular fly?

peter.robinson

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
You guys are making me terribly jealous. When we lived in Canberra for a while I took up fly fishing. I hit the little streams for trout, with a 5 weight. I miss it.

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I love my fishing so like most fishaholics I have quite a few different rods.

My main "bushcrafty" fishing rod is a little 2kg flick stick for chucking ultralight lures in tight country. It's short and light but it is a 2 piece rod. I'd like to get the same rod or similar in a 4 piece so it fits in my pack easier.

My other favourite rod is my 9 weight fly rod. I'd like a 5/6WT as well for freshwater use but the 9WT is perfect for fishing the Sandy Straits like I do the majority of the time. I tie all my own flies. I love tying them from natural materials like feathers and fur but in the saltwater where I fish the fact is the synthetics outperform the naturals, generally speaking. That being said I still use quite a bit of Bucktail making Clousers and my own special pattern. My pattern is a combo of a Clouser and Crazy Charlie with a couple of other little tweaks. My mates call it the "Crazy Mick" and it has caught bream, flathead (40 in one session, all released), bonito, trevally, etc.

When I take my kayak I also take my ABU 6500C overhead reel mounted on some old graphite rod I bought many years ago. This rig is my "old axe" rig. The ol' faithful that has caught a million fish, has been used and abused and still comes back for more. It doesn't do anything particularly well but it is reliable and when I need a bigger outfit than my ultra light rod this one always gets the nod first. This rod has a lot of memories for me and I'll probably never get rid of it.

Tas

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Fair enough, keep us posted when you do eventually give it a shot......

How does a tenkara fly differ from a regular fly?
Tenkara fly is very simple in design
You tie it with a reverse hackle this makes it sit up and allows for better movement, the philosophy is minimalist
And simple and all about presentation and technique rather than $1000 worth of gear , makes me keen to get set-up now ! Thanks ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400444332.567908.jpg

Hey mick , I have a great 9wt set-up too
A cheap kit I bought when living in qld years ago still one of my favorites, I have a little telescopic rod I bought in tin can markets which I have used and abused , been repaired a few times and has caught loads of fish most of them spur of the moment ( keep it behind the seat of the ute)

Last edited:

kiwibro

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I just bought a telescopic tenkara rod off evilbay to try out if I like it. I need to track down some fly tying lessons.

robwilliams

Les Stroud
Reaction score
The last time I hit the water with friends I used a spare telescopic with fairly light weight line (not sure of exact weight) and put prawn on the hook. Caught a few bream on the Swan river in Midland with it, all small stuff, so put them back. What that taught me was that I like the compact telescopic rod and a simple setup. Might get myself a little telescopic outfit and take that with me on hikes or whatever.

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I just bought a telescopic tenkara rod off evilbay to try out if I like it. I need to track down some fly tying lessons.
Get yourself a good vice. I know Malcolm Douglass ties them using vice grips hanging off a log on the bank of a Kimberley River but when you are tying having a good vice is worth its wait in gold. My first vice was a cheapy and it tied flies but they kept falling out of the vice as I couldn't get it to tighten enough. My new vice is a beauty. It grips the hook like nothing else. It rotates (essential for more complex flies). I taught myself to tie flies from reading books, etc but today with youtube there is a plethora of info available that I wish I had when I started. Tie a couple of simple flies to start with, like Clousers, and when you have mastered them move onto more challenging patterns.

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
This is another one of my travelers......

A little 2 piece 5'6" graphite overhead with a shimano reel, 10lb braid..... Chases slightly bigger things on outtings......

20140521_173012.jpg20140521_173155.jpg20140521_173218.jpg

Last edited: