What's your Pack?

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I have seen this maxpedition stuff on youtube vids from yank guys reviews. I had no idea how much it costs. Everyone seems to like the build quality so I suppose that it is worth it but pretty much some of the most expensive packs that I have seen. Does anyone know of a brand that does similar stuff for less. I know, I'm a cheap bugger:;):
Benny in this forum.

Condor is also worth looking at.

If you're just after pouches and the like, you could do a lot worse than some Chinese sellers on eBay. I've bought three items and I can't fault the quality. They don't have YKK zippers, but the zippers they do have are working and holding up quite well.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
A couple of months ago I put together a bushcraft pack for weekenders, I went with the Maxpedition Condor 2, it's a good sturdy pack with heaps of molle for extra pouches and whatever else you would like to hang off it, overall I'm pretty happy with it, still refining the gear I'm carrying what works what doesn't but I'll get there.

Good looking setup.

How do you find the dump pouch ? (I've been looking at them lately)

hellfish

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Good looking setup.

How do you find the dump pouch ? (I've been looking at them lately)
Thanks, I based my setup around Mike from MCQbushcraft original setup, the dump pouches are a really handy little pouch to have, they open up to a pretty good size, I liked the fact that if you come across something while walking that you want to take you can just drop the pouch and your good to go, instead of having to take your pack off, for me having something to put a couple of trout in while I'm on the move is a big bonus.

Foxtrot65

Les Stroud
Reaction score
http://www.lifeandlibertygear.com/ebay/CONDOR-MissionPackOD1.jpg

Ive just bought a TAS Mission 2 pack like the one in the link, it was the closest image I could find.
Its not perfect but has most the requirments I need,
has a clever zip out expander for overnighters, fitting in my sleeping bag etc
I can also slot my axe horizontally near the bag bottom which is ideal

The only drawbacks I can see are the back has no ventilation and the waist belt adjuster is not one you can instantly pull to tighten, you have to feed it through, came with 2 detachable mollie pouches on the shoulder straps that sway around a bit, have taken them off and am looking for another use for them.
Not bad for $85

Michael Brown

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I have been using a Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger, but am currently waiting for a more traditional Duluth Scout Pack.
Why? it looks to me like the Maxpedition is a lot more versatile and comfortable.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I have the German Army Mountain Troops Rucksack (AKA Bundeswehr Gebirgsjager Alpina Rucksack).
Howling Dingo did a review of the pack, where he mentioned the pack had been popularly referred to as the 'Mora Knife of Packs!'. I agree this was true in the past, but I think it is soon to become the holy grail of packs, given the German military is at least for now destroying them, instead of decommissioning them for sale in surplus stores (TBA).

The pack has an official (draw-string sintched) capacity 33kg, although it can be extended to a very respectable 40kg and with the flap closed. Given I want to practice minimalism and continue to decrease the wight of my gear where I choose and take advantage of redundancies this pack great. Although IMO, it is really, depending on skill level and choices, only really a 48-72 hour pack at max. There are two generous long quick access pockets on the sides that have accommodated virtually everything I have needed them too, which has been reassuring. The classic design and colour of the pack makes it versatile and discreet and therefore suitable for daily urban use and travel.

Early packs came in canvas with leather straps, then canvas with canvas straps, then nylon with canvas straps. I have an excellent example of the latter. The two earlier versions had a water resistant PVC base, but the nylon versions are nylon impregnated and therefore completely water resistant over the entire pack, which I personally prefer! They came in tan and forest green. As far as I have seen all canvas ones were tan, the later nylon were green. It was very hard to find my pack as Varastelleka of Finland who normally sells them as surplus was out of stock and has been for over 1 year now.

The pack is designed to hold a German made folding sleeping mat which doubles as a pack frame when not is use. This mat is not sold with the pack anymore and needs to be sourced separately and with much effort i might add. The packs straps can roll up over the buckles, which is a brilliant idea, minimising the need for full-on tedious strap adjustment. The packs are overbuilt and extremely strong.

My favourite EDC & 48hr pack

Side pockets will comfortably hold a 1 litre bottle of Johnny Walker Black Label! The pockets are sewen on and are very strong- so you can slide a axe, shovel, gun or trekking poles behind both water bottle pockets

The pack holing a large mesh tent and its sleeping pad could still accommodate a UL sleeping bag inside and your gear, with no external strapping necessary. That's impressive for a 33 litre pack!

Very long & comfortable canvas straps for big buys

Extreme carry is all in a days work for a Bundeswehr Rucksack!