What's your Pack?

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Greetings all...

Well?

What pack do you use for your adventures?

me:
  • Karrimor 60-100 + Side Pouches
  • ALICE pack, Large
  • ALICE pack, Medium
  • M39 Swedish Canvas, WW2 Vintage
  • Swedish General Issue Rucksack
  • Plat-a-tac Tropical Sniper pack (55lt) this is my EDC pack for work
  • Mountain smith butt pack
As for my Bushcrafting, I tend to use the Medium ALICE and the Swedish M39 the most along with the Mountain Smith...

How about you?

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I tend to be vehicle based when ever I go bush(as in mostly go hunting every time I venture in to the bush)so packs are not really my thing. I do however use a cheap shoulder pouch as a dedicated fire kit, and have both a hunting EDC "survival" kit, I presently use a shotgun shell shoulder case for this kit, and a neck survival kit in a water proof plastic bag in side a nylon neck pack..I have never had the opportunity to go "back pack" camping or hiking.
For short forays into the bush I would carry both my fire kit and neck survival kit(plus my EDC pocket knives and maybe a fixed blade or three as appropriate), it is entirely situational dependent.

Last edited:

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
I see...

@Dzyan... well keep looking, like knives, a pack is a very personal thing...

@Wave Man... hmmm.... thats no good mate... lol, you have to get out on your own two feet at some point... ;)

Last edited:

Gundy

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I have been using a Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger, but am currently waiting for a more traditional Duluth Scout Pack.

Shane

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Fox 3 day tactical with a molle attached voodo hip pack. The hip pack is the bear bones kit and holds all my tools. The larger pack has enough gear for a week really. I don't take the biggun very often but at under 30 lbs she's not bad.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
I too mainly hunt/track when bush. But when doing trekk with the missus I use webbing and message type bag. For longer stuff Veitnam era backpack with or without added pouches.

feebullet

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Mainly use chinese inf canvas pack with top flap and two side pouches.

If I am going light I use a claymore bag or a TEWT bag. The man bag stigma doesn't apply when you politely explain what they usually carry....

Non-water proof canvas is my thing I spose, easy to add to if required.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
@Wave Man... hmmm.... thats no good mate... lol, you have to get out on your own two feet at some point...
too true mate. My hunting style is a reflection of were I hunt, a 50,000 acre property, it takes a long time to drive around, let a lone walk around...LoL

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
too true mate. My hunting style is a reflection of were I hunt, a 50,000 acre property, it takes a long time to drive around, let a lone walk around...LoL
50,000 acres... we will need to have a chat when I get back... ;)

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
that is just the main property I hunt on, with in a hours drive of that property are 2 more properties I have access to as well(one is 65,000 acres, the other is 50,000 acres)the problem is these properties are 10 hours drive from home, so I only get to go once a year.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Cool... Sounds like a good multi-day foot hunt to me... but I digress... still should have at least a small pack for your essentials in case you run into some trouble...

jaco

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
My hiking pack is an old SADF (South African Defense Force) pack, a massive cordura beast, called "the Bastard". I've got a heap of packs, but mostly use a small SADF shoulder bag, that can hold a A5 notepad and a few other odds and ends, that I called my "research bag", as I used it when doing research in other societies; and a larger Old Khaki shoulder bag, that now mostly carries spare nappies, clean pants, extra water, blankies and anything required for two toddlers! How life changed...

Blackhawk

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Heres my current short/medium stay pack.Platatac Raid 72hr - capacity is 63 litres
-2 sections with the ability to make it one section by unzipping the divider
- advanced mountain pack harness(or so they reckon)
-top external/internal pouch in lid
-grab handle
-bottle holders on sides
-molle strips on each side
-compression and lashing straps
- weatherproof main section cover
That's a lot of features;the Molle strips allow for double ups of poches to be fitted to each side.I use Sord or Platatac pouches only.They are well made with heavy duty zippers but be aware that once you start thowing all this other stuff on then the basic weight of the pack increases.

Attachments

Gundy

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Got the Duluth Scout pack today...very happy! A little larger than I first thought which is good. Extremely well made for what it is! Leather, buckles, straps, stitching and rivets all of a very high quality. Can not wait to start fitting it out!

Big Bill

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I use a Platatac 3 day Sniper pack for short trips and a Sea to Summit Lost worlds pack for longer trips..........After seeing the 5.11 tactical vest on this site I've gone and bought one and I'm hoping to use that in conjunction with a shelter like this one http://www.wildearth.com.au/darche-hybrid-person-ultralight-tent-shelter-p-1492.html to replace my platatac set up for short trips during the warmer months.........I've been looking for a packless kit for ages now and am hoping this will tick alot of the boxes..........Obviously if it works out will I'll extend trips for longer periods and cooler weather etc etc.......

Last edited:

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Have found that carefully considering what activities will be undertaken, a two pack combination fulfills all my needs (extended bushwalks generally in off-track thick bush situations, expedition trips, canyoning, caving, kayaking, etc):

Wilderness Equipment - Karijini (Large Expedition Model)

https://secure1.ilisys.com.au/summip/index.html

Summit Gear - an older model not currently in their stock, but placed somewhere between their Cockatoo and Lowry Day Packs (A large day sack)

https://secure1.ilisys.com.au/summip/index.html

These are both Aussie made = will wear very well in our conditions e.g. highly tear and abrasion resistant, streamlined so they don't get easily snagged on scrub.

The WE is one tough workhorse - the harness is the best I've ever experienced with it's choice of sizes, adjustments, etc.

(I've used Karrimor, MacPac and Bergheus - MacPac is very good too, though both Karrimor and Bergheus proved crap. The only thing stopping me from purchasing another MacPac was their replacement costs - had a harness fail after many years of heavy use but the sack was okay. After making enquiries into replacing the harness, it was cheaper to buy a new pack!)

I really don't understand peoples fascination with military packs - they're heavy and generally damn uncomfortable (but cheap). It's interesting to note that, according to Wiki, the US is moving towards civilian type pack design (MOLLE and MOLLE 2), with the Marines choosing off-the-shelf packs from a well known manufacturer. In civvie use, external framed packs (H and A-framed) went out with hobnailed boots!

Some observations:

1. A single sack with perhaps a top and rear pocket is the best as far as waterproofness goes. More entry points = more likelihood of problems.
2. Forget zips = can't be repaired in the field if they fail. Fastex buckles and drawstrings = no worries.
3. Side pockets are buggers as they inevitably get hooked up on foliage, get torn and loose stuff.
4. Never carry anything on the outside of a pack unless you want to lose it - if it can't fit in it, the pack is too small (or carrying too much crap)!
5. Use a pack liner (preferably a dry sac) to waterproof essentials like sleeping bag, spare clothes, etc.