BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's this track ?

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
What's this track ? This is not a trick question.

(That is a normal, full sized Bic lighter (for scale))

Before you answer, this is a question ONLY for non-Australian members, but any Australian who doesn't know what this is and has to do research can have a go too !

Feel free to ask questions and I'll try and answer as quick as I can .... which may vary a bit .... !

P1280446 (Small).jpg

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
I spent about 2 hours yesterday following/watching one of these and could not find one decent track to take a pic of.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
We all like to jump in with a guess, but what makes you say emu or cassowary ?

The size of the print does limit the number of possibilities.

Knowing something about where (geographically) and when the photo was taken may help.
If you knew where it was taken (and when) it may include or exclude some possibilities

I’ll answer the when : it was 2012. If it had been 75Million BC, then Templar would be well and truly in the running (sorry to disappoint T).

Consider where the photo could have come from :
- FNQ (Far North Queensland, ie Cape York which comprises tropical jungle, savannah and open woodlands),
- Kakadu wetlands,
- central deserts area,
- the local bush (sclerophyll woodlands, Victoria),
- Turtle Beach (North West Coast)
- High country (SE Australia)
- Melbourne Zoo
- Mongolia ? (That velociraptor again)! I tell you it was in Australia.
- Tasmania
- Torres Strait islands (not too far from Indonesia really)

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
Before you answer, this is a question ONLY for non-Australian members, but any Australian who doesn't know what this is and has to do research can have a go too !

ssshhh....

Whatever it is, it doesn't have opposable digits, as evidenced by its dropping the lighter whilst stopping for a quick fag.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
I’ll answer the when : it was 2012. If it had been 75Million BC, then Templar would be well and truly in the running (sorry to disappoint T).

Ah...Drat!

I'll hand in my Tracking Stick and my copy of Tracks, Scats and Other Traces then.... How am I supposed to get my own TV show now? :p

bubba5603

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Ah...Drat!

I'll hand in my Tracking Stick and my copy of Tracks, Scats and Other Traces then.... How am I supposed to get my own TV show now? :p

You tube videos or write a book with the name "Green Beret" "SAS" or "Aboriginal/Native" in the title, just like everyone else lately!

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Sorry, didnt read the question specifics before reply.... Well the shape made me think bird and the size made me think big!

This guy hasn't seen the outside of a closet for years

image.jpg

And this guy is out as the dont seem to have the third toe. If thats what its called

image.jpg

And the emu is the only big bird that i know!!! Emu is a bird yeah?

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I'll have another go.....jabiru or the big feet of an eurasian coot

Last edited:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the guesses to date. :_applauso:

I can see that we’re not taking this super seriously, (you know who you are so I'm not going to name anyone). :sorrriso:
but that's ok !

[Doh ! - I just saw Lepmeister's post (I was just going to look for a pic like that) ] :risatonaD:

Most Australians would assume they knew which creature made this track, but simply asking where the track was located and when would help by reducing some options.

The basic form would suggest either something avian or reptilian ?

We have a few “Big Birds” in "Ozzie" (Ozzie Ostrich being a famous puppet down here, thanks Lepmeister), but I was referring to the emu and cassowary of course, as well as those there are a few other big birds too like the jabiru, bustards and brolgas! There are ostrich farms about in various places too, could it be one of those ?

How well do you know reptilian feet ? Could it be a goanna or a “freshie” (fresh water crocodile). There are big Komodo Dragons on some Indonesian islands, are they in the Torres Strait too ?

What if the picture was from Kakadu ? Would you consider a crocodile ? It’s a huge tropical wetland with thousands of water birds.

What if it was from a track in the tropical jungle at Cape Tribulation (FNQ) ? Home of the cassowary ? Is it likely to be an emu ?

What if it was from Lake Eyre in summer ? Lake Eyre does attract a lot of birds, but only in the wet. Some animals migrate (or hibernate) you will only see them during particular seasons, or in particular years. You wouldn’t get a freshly made water bird print if there was no water !

Knowing where and when helps put the track in context. Its an important consideration.

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Also looks like a wild turkey marking from what searches in can do. They seem to have the "heel" but also can leave a marking behind the heel that this one doesnt seem to have?

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
but simply asking where the track was located and when would help by reducing some options.

OK so I,m going to simply ask :non sono stato io:....,where was this track located and when was it taken.?

:_(A):

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Aussie123 said
"What's this track ? This is not a trick question.
Feel free to ask questions......"

Lex parsimoniae/Ockham's razor, That is, the fewer assumptions an explanation of a phenomenon depends on, the better it is.
It all hangs on context.

Last edited: