What's in season near you?

Radar

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
There are plenty of these in The Gap, Brisbane right now. I've been having a snack on my way home from work each day:D

I also found this near the creek - looks like some sort of Chilli to me - can anyone identify (sorry about the pics)?

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
They look like Birds-eye chilli Radar, a variety of Capsicum frutescens.... hot little blighters!

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Looks yummy. Is it a rasberry? Bottom pix definitely look like chillies.
There's a fair bit of blackberry around WA waterways but they often get sprayed by farmers, APB etc. If they vweren't I'd feast like a king every time I went out for a paddle.
Is that the case over east?
Cheers
Bloffy

peter.robinson

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
When we lived in Canberra in the mid 90s the blackberries were sprayed so we didn't touch them. I've never seen them up here around Brisbane so don't know but probably :-(

Radar

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
thanks, they definitely match the birds eye description. Probably too hot for me, so I'll leave them alone.

The raspberries are found along the Gap end of Enoggera creek, in the more dense (ie. not grassy parkland) areas and amongst other natives - so hopefully not sprayed.

I just found this group who is pretty active in the area, their website is very informative about some of the plant species found around here: http://www.sown.com.au/01_cms/details.asp?ID=6

Jacko

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Scoop out the Seeds on those Birds Eye Chillies and use a 1/3 to 1/2 a fruit to Spice up your Meal, you'll be right [ maybe a 1/4 of a Fruit ] :_sii: Caution though, wear Rubber Gloves or wash your hands very thoughly, you will know all about it if you touch your Nose, around your Eyes or need to go if you get my drift

I had no idea of anything resembling a Raspberry growing in the Sth East Corner. Only ever seen those Native Raspberry's down around Taylors Arm in NSW. I will be keeping an Eye out for sure. Sadly no Blackberry's this Far North, it does not get Cold enough. These Days Blackberries are pretty well controlled. There is none where I Hunt around Tenterfield and it used to be lousy with them, miss em a lot but I can understand the Cockies getting rid of them

regards Jacko

Last edited:

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I have seen the native raspberries growing around the Gympie region before.

I have the birds eye chili's here at home. They are definitely on the HOT side of things. If you would normally throw in a couple of "normal" chili's into a dish then you only need half of one of these. A little goes a long way.

+1 on being careful handling them. When my daughter was just a toddler she picked one off the bush and before we could get to her she had squished it in her hand. We took her over to the tap straight away to wash it off but we must have missed some. Between her fingers came up red and swollen like a burn. She started crying and rubbed her face. Then her face went the same, red and swollen. We tried everything. Water, soap, milk, yoghurt, aloe vera, etc. Then we googled it and found the best thing when handling chili is to wash your hands in olive oil first to keep the juices off your skin, but if you do get it on your skin then to wash it off straight away using lemon juice. They said if you do it straight away the pain will go straight away but if the burn has been half an hour or so then it will take 5 mins to take effect. That was the case for my daughter. Five minutes after rubbing lemon juice on her face and hands she had stopped crying and was actually laughing again. Apparently anything acidic will work. Any of the citrus juices or even vinegar will work.

Craig M

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Got a feed of these each morning and night while staying at the family farm over the weekend.
Kids had a ball hunting for them and learning which are good to eat and which are not.
Tasted great too!

wameron36

Les Stroud
Reaction score
The cockey apples are all in fruit again here and it's got me excited! Just waiting for them to ripen up a little more

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
the Geebung in mass fruit are ready up on the Kangaroo river (Kangaroo Valley NSW).

the ones that have fallen are sweeter, just a shame the seed is big.

1483316_769583789723516_1105282136_n.jpg

08/12/13

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Lomandra (Spiny-head Mat-rush) are young, sweet, green and very tasty. Like a green pea with plenty of fibre:

IMAG0876 (Small).jpg

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Feral bees swarming at the moment, (In the Southburnett SEQld) easy to capture if you have a box ready.
The queen must have landed in the top of this wattle tree and the weight of workers has inverted the stem.

wameron36

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Cool! Do you cook yours before eating at all?
I'm yet to try cooking them actually. Have only ever eaten them raw. They're all over the bush here, super abundant! Be an easy source of food for sure.
I do find it hard to find them when they're just right though. They're generally either unripe or over-ripe and full of worms (but who minds an extra bit of protein!).

Aussie Forager CQ

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi All

My wife and I have recently purchased a 'lifestyle' block out of town. Pretty sure 'lifestyle' is code for Lantana! However amongst the lantana there are numerous Sandpaper figs. They have been fruiting for a couple of weeks now.

We have been collecting 1 kg in around half an hour, give or take a little. We have been making jam for pressie's with good success. Turns out very nice and well worth a go!