What toys are you waiting for???

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
:) Very nice. I like the malice too. I've had some experience with ceramic ball hardness - I was really surprised at how hard they are, and that was on a chinese knife. Couldn't file it or grind it - not a mark. Oh dear, that's not a good site for me to look at; everything I like the look of is prohibitive 😂

Last edited:

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
The Malice is cool, but no lanyard attachment so no good for me. Yeah True Talon's site is very drool worthy, I send a lot of time and money there.

koalaboi

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I've got a Waeco fridge and am waiting on a drawer system with fridge slide for my Hi-Lux, a dual battery system (to go in Wednesday) and solar blanket to power it. Hope it's ready in a week's time when I'm off out west. Expensive toys, but I reckon I'm going to wish I'd set it up ages ago.

Out west in April and took my bush tucker (blackfish I'd caught) to trade with an Aboriginal mate for kangaroo meat he'd hunted. He gave me about 2kg of great meat and my fish from the esky, frozen when I'd left the Central Coast, were not in great nick (read soggy) by the time I'd reached Lake Mungo so a bit embarrassed!

Can't wait!

KB

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I've got a Waeco fridge and am waiting on a drawer system with fridge slide for my Hi-Lux, a dual battery system (to go in Wednesday) and solar blanket to power it. Hope it's ready in a week's time when I'm off out west. Expensive toys, but I reckon I'm going to wish I'd set it up ages ago.

Out west in April and took my bush tucker (blackfish I'd caught) to trade with an Aboriginal mate for kangaroo meat he'd hunted. He gave me about 2kg of great meat and my fish from the esky, frozen when I'd left the Central Coast, were not in great nick (read soggy) by the time I'd reached Lake Mungo so a bit embarrassed!

Can't wait!

KB
Freezing fish never really works.

koalaboi

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I'd have to disagree with you on freezing fish not working. I've been a 3 to 4 time per week fisherman for over 40 years and I find frozen fish, especially if they are skinned, filleted and flayed straight away, will keep really well. I mostly fish for flathead and blackfish and whilst the flathead are possibly a little better than blackfish, both freeze and thaw really well.

KB

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
They always seem to lose a lot of water and the flesh goes soft, almost mushy. They do lose weight. Maybe it's the type of fish I work with - salmon. None of that affects what works for you though (y)

koalaboi

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I've not fished for salmon much. I do like them to eat but filleted, skinned and done in egg and breadcrumbs. Also good in curries. I don't think they''d freeze too well though try skinning and filleting and see how you go.
KB

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I've not fished for salmon much. I do like them to eat but filleted, skinned and done in egg and breadcrumbs. Also good in curries. I don't think they''d freeze too well though try skinning and filleting and see how you go.
KB
Thanks koalaboi. I gave up fishing about 20 years ago - I've been spoiled from another era where fishing and shooting was easy, no big deal, and a meal within 30 mins. Things have changed greatly. I was working with farmed salmon, which should be a great sustainable industry - but business just gets too greedy and manages to still ruin the environment.

koalaboi

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I thought you were talking about wild Australian salmon!

Not sure what they feed farmed salmon but don't think it's helpful to firm flesh.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
My shoulder strap arrived today. Ahead of schedule by a week. Good quality for what it is and does the job. Wish is my new go to for (generic) camping gear.
Cheers
Bloffy

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
And, IMHO, I would go for the side zip style rather than the "rebirther". More covenient for those midnight wee stops. While the HH tarps is pretty good, take a look at Tier Gear. He is a member here and a good bloke to boot. I have done a fair bit of pimping of mine but Thrud's is pretty stock and both perform admirably. An underquilt is a must though. Forget wimp mats. They just don't work. Do a search for hammocks and sit back for a few hours of reading.
Cheers
Bloffy
Sorry to dig up an older post, but what quilt do you recommend for a Hennessy Asym zip hammock? Or did you make it yourself?

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I use one from Tier Gear, but I’m not sure Simon makes them any more. I have a Jacks r better 3/4 which is good, but I get cold feet.

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've got stuff from Simon in the past and been very happy, but never pulled the trigger on an underquilt. Starting to get fed up with the sleepmat improvisation.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
My dump pouch arrived today. Yay.
It's mollied on to the side and I will use it for foraging etc, as extra water carriage if necessary or just as extra storage if needs be. Pretty impressed with how big it is.
I will post up the finished results soon.
Cheers
Bloffy

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Another twosun knife - I have 3 now. It's in the post :D 2.5" S90V blade, titanium scale and clip one side, carbon fiber the other, ceramic bearings, frame lock. Oh, it's the TS128 Dynamo. In the video he's talking US dollars.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score

There's an acronym that I've just discovered, and I think it is predominantly US sites: BOGO. So, I'm waiting for a BOGO buy to arrive. It's Buy One Get One. it should really be BOGOF; Buy One Get One Free, which is what BOGO means. It's a deal I posted here on Head's up, and I'm surprised to see it's still available. I paid for one, but supposedly getting two. The above pictures are the carbon fiber / s35vn version (normally 4x the price); I'm getting one blue, one green g10 / d2.
The specs:
Real Steel Control 3605F Blue 7211
Total Length: 214 mm / 8.43 in.
Blade Length: 90 mm / 3.54 in.
Closed Length: 124 mm / 4.88 in.
Blade Thickness: 3.5 mm .14 in
Blade Steel: D2
Plain Edge
Handle Material: G10 Blue /Stainless Back
Weight 6.5 Ounces (190g)
Flipper Opening
Frame Lock