What toys are you waiting for???

uneekwahn

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I am 6’2” and have the Expedition zip deluxe from HH. If you set the hammock correctly, which is easy with a little practice you will sleep fine, and I agree with Bloffy that I get a better night’s sleep than in my bed at home. The first night you spend in a hammock will often not be the best, but for me at least I could not go back to lying on the ground. I have had miserable nights in a hammock, but they have been due to me not setting it properly or failing to use a tarp or not having an underquilt.
Getting in and out of a sleeping bag is a bit more of an issue at night, but that depends on how much grog you have had and the state of your prostate!

I would try a hammock on a warm night first as you will not want the added expense of an underquilt unless you know you will continue this method.

The other reasons I prefer hammocks are that I have a dodgy lower back and shoulder. I prefer being off the ground to keep away from crawlies, unexpected downpours etc.

Disadvantages include not being able to have a brew and cook breakfast whilst lying in your bag!ß

There will not always be trees available, but you can use it as a ground tent with some poles and even use a one tree hang(never tried it) or even set up between a tree and vehicle or two vehicles etc.

MDU didn’t get on with hammocking, nor did Chris M. Chris had a very bad neck and this may have been one reason. I seem to recall MDU didn’t get on with the bottom entry and the ridge this leaves on the inside.

Bloffy, Uneekwahn and Doc are far more experienced hammockers than me.
Or more than likely Thrud, you have terrible nights in your hammock due to waking up from your own snoring or flatulence!

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
On a whim I pulled the trigger on a tan water bottle cover from Wish.
Às it was coming from China by snail mail, I wasn't expecting it to arrive on time, let alone four days early.
I must say I was underwhelmed by the size of the package and, at first, I thought they had sent the wrong sized pouch but I was wrong.

20190611_221237.jpg

Here it is after I packed it up. Please forgive the photography. I don't have a flash on my tablet and wanted to get this done tonight.
With everything in it, I am carrying all of the five Cs except cordage, which I plan to add in the near future. And there are a few extras besides.

20190611_221715.jpg

So what is in there?
I'll cover them off C by C and then the odds and sods.
Container: My trusty no name stainless steel water bottle which I have had for several years now. Great bit of kit.Alongside that is my two stainless steel cups which nest together nicely. The smaller has two holes which accept the spring bail in the centre of the picture. This bail sits upside down in my water bottle and is strong enough to hold the litre weight.
I have the small plastic water bottle for dirty water, and the classic Sawyer Squeeze for filtering water. This is quite bulky and if anyone here can point me in the direction of a cheap Sawyer Mini, it would be appreciated.
Cutting: The tried and tested Opinel (7?) is my main cutting device but, believe it or not, the second cutting device is the kiwi fruit spoon. I have cut steaks with it but wouldn't want to truly rely on it. It's actually probably better for a soup, stew or otherwise.
Combustion: Just a single ferro rod for the moment. Side note, I always have a lighter and my Victorinox Soldier in my pocket.
Cover: The black blob just below the pouch is a former Hennessy Hammock assymetric tarp. I have used this a few times by itself in rough weather and it makes a great shelter.
The other odds and sods include.
Candling: The little torch in the centre is a Petzl e+lite. The battery lasts forever. It's not a powerful light but good enough for camp duties.
Catching: The little tube directly below the pouch is a mini fishing kit. It has two medium sinkers, two tiny sinkers, half a dozen hooks, a tiny magnet, two mini fishlights, two light needles and some thread and a couple of safety pins.There is about 50m of fishing line wrapped around the outside.
The little tin has a mini Bic lighter (oops, forgot about that), three ibuprofen, five fire straws, half a dozen bandaids, a small fishing lure with two gang hooks, and four medium length wire traces which can be used as a small snare or with the fishing line.
Crapping: Two packets of plastic wrapped toilet paper (also good for fire lighting).
A small pen. No real paper so might need to address that.
Cooking: I have my Lixda twig stove. Much easier for quick cook ups but not as warm for night times.
At the moment, I have just a light strap that I found in my box of junk but will look at something more substantial in the future. And a morale patch on the velcro on the top.
Sort of sorry (nah!!!) I have gone on a bit but I think it was worth showing what I was able to pack into it. Pretty impressive overall.
Mods, If you want, I can move this into its own post.
Cheers
Bloffy

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Very nice Bloffy.
I have pencils in my kit; apart from the obvious writing, you can shave for firefighting use them on stuck zips. They also work on the small rite in the rain pads. On my belt kit I do have a uni Powertank pen https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/uni-powertank-retractable-ballpoint-pen-black-mi220mbk#features
These are a very good pen and really a much cheaper (4-5$) to a space pen and they write on most things. I haven’t thought about what it could have a secondary purpose for.

A lot of online outdoor gear shops have EOFY sales on atm, so you might get a deal on a Sawyer. Alternatively you could look at a Miniwell, these are cheaper but still have a good filter and come with some useful attachments. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MINIWELL-WATER-FILTER-PURIFICATION-SURVIVAL-STRAW-LIFE-CAMPING-TRAVEL-HIKING/131867618348?_trkparms=aid=333200&algo=COMP.MBE&ao=1&asc=20171012094517&meid=1e112845ef434e99b18192cb39a76a09&pid=100008&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=183735171324&itm=131867618348&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

Last edited:

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Ah Thrud, you are the gear freak with it all. I will bow to your greater wisdom. A pencil is a good idea. The Russians had the right idea. The Yanks spent the GDP of a few third world countries to develop the biro and the Russian gave their cosmonauts a pencil.
The pen got thrown in because I was cleaning up but thought it was a good idea. Pencil and a sharpener is better.
Cheers
Bloffy

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Cheers Bloffy!
I found out a month or so ago that the pencil/space pen thing was a myth. Very disappointing. Apparently graphite shavings are an issue in zero g and pencils are flammable.
Here is a link to the article. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-nasa-spen/

Next thing you know they’ll be claiming Santa doesn’t exist or there are no wild thylacines in WA...🤣

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I've seen lots of Santa's - surely WA has them. They tend to be seasonal. I can see a problem with the thylacines though - perhaps you can modify some onesies? 🤣 Great find on the uni powertank! I bought some fisher refils that fit normal pen bodies, but those uni's are cheaper than just the fisher refills alone!

Last edited:

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
My reality has been shattered....
I believe the Santa thing is due to annual migration patterns. Apparently around July there are lakes in Africa which are just jam-packed with breeding pairs of Santas but they have to very cautious and not get eaten by packs of voracious thylacines.
You'll be right Thrud in your down-filled, kevla-plated, anti-platypus attracting onesie.
Cheers
Bloffy

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Added a decent strap to my water bottle holder, used some chunky looking clips off some dog leads from the Reject Shop. Cost as much as the pouch and postage together, Lol.
I pulled the trigger on a Sawyer Mini. Thanks to all for your suggestions but I like the reputation and longevity of the Sawyer.
Also have some 7strand paracord inbound from Thrud. Thanks for your generosity mate. Awesome.
Took your advice and added a small steel pencil sharpener and a pencil, as well as a small notebook on a zippy bag. Now there's very little room left but it's a pretty awesome, well rounded kit.
Thanks to all for your input and contributions.
It's one of the reasons I have been a member here for so long.
Cheers
Bloffy

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I don't think you can go wrong with that sawyer. I've seen videos of folk in the States walking those trails that run the length of mainland USA; in the south where it is hot and dry they were drinking water out of cattle troughs that were green with algae. Sawyers seemed to be the water treatment of choice over there.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
I have a Sawyer Squeeze which I have put to good use over the years. It's biggest drawback it is relatively bulky. The Mini will suit my needs and I still have the Squeeze which I am still working out how I will make best use of it.
Cheers
Bloffy

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
And to round my kit out, I will be adding a dump pouch.

Tactical-Utility-Magazine-Mag-Drop-Dump-Pouch-Molle-Belt-Hunting-Airsoft-Military-Gun-Ammo-Fol...jpg

I'm getting as bad as Waveman with his knives......lol
But that's it. Honest it is......well, for now. Oh yeah, added a travel toothbrush as well. Very good for morale and, well, when you strat wilting nearby shrubs due to bushman's breath....
Cheers
Bloffy

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Will you keep the dump pouch empty ready for opportunistic finds or needs? Or do you have plans to carry something in it?

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
And to round my kit out, I will be adding a dump pouch.

View attachment 26344

I'm getting as bad as Waveman with his knives......lol
But that's it. Honest it is......well, for now. Oh yeah, added a travel toothbrush as well. Very good for morale and, well, when you strat wilting nearby shrubs due to bushman's breath....
Cheers
Bloffy
They look good and solid . I've been wanting to get one for the belt just to put things in while at camp instead of on the ground while you grab something else. Could I enquire where you obtain yours from ?
I reckon if you filled one up with jellybeans it would keep you going for a while , 😄

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I'm waiting on 4 knives. Pure decadence. They all just look too good, great reviews and great price etc. They're what I'd generally use around home because they're a bit longer when folded than what I'd wear out. Although they should sit in a pocket OK, which isn't my preference when out. All D2 and G10, all around 3" to 3.5" blades, all less than $40 each. The last one has a carbon fiber laminate over G10 and the three others have the same style clip. I have some knives that I inherited etc that I've serviced but don't use - I'm going to sell them and just keep the ones I like and use. Or I'll give them to friends if they are interested.

Last edited:

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Can I be your friend then, Barra? Lol. I actually got this from Aliexpress but Wish had the same for maybe a few cents cheaper. Got tricked by the US / Aus conversion.
For about $10, can't go wrong.
All up, this project has cost me less than $50. Kept me busy and off the streets. Will give it a go on the Mt Mambup trip.
Cheers
Bloffy

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Can I be your friend then, Barra? Lol. I actually got this from Aliexpress but Wish had the same for maybe a few cents cheaper. Got tricked by the US / Aus conversion.
For about $10, can't go wrong.
All up, this project has cost me less than $50. Kept me busy and off the streets. Will give it a go on the Mt Mambup trip.
Cheers
Bloffy
Be good to hear if it's comfy on the belt and doesn't get in the way.

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Got my SAK Tinker deluxe today . Although I had to go to the post office and and pick it up as the supplier short changed the cost of postage by $7.80 . Anyway very happy with my SAk. I actually wanted the pliers to pick up the billy and pots off the fire and stoves . I'm always burning myself . I carry gloves but never use them.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
you honestly can't go wrong with those Ganzo's Randal, and they have been testing great with LTK.

Just dropped the hammer on another WE Integral (WE Synergy 2, flame Ti trailing point) there won't be too many of these around in Australia, and I bought the only one True Talon bought in. Expensive, but sexy as hell and with lots of bling (I love a blingy folder)

https://www.truetalon.com/collections/we-knives/products/coming-soon-we-knives-synergy2-912-m390-blade-integral-titanium-handle?variant=28633649643598