What toys are you waiting for???

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
And, IMHO, I would go for the side zip style rather than the "rebirther". More covenient for those midnight wee stops. While the HH tarps is pretty good, take a look at Tier Gear. He is a member here and a good bloke to boot. I have done a fair bit of pimping of mine but Thrud's is pretty stock and both perform admirably. An underquilt is a must though. Forget wimp mats. They just don't work. Do a search for hammocks and sit back for a few hours of reading.
Cheers
Bloffy

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Do you have any back trouble sleeping in a hammock? I never tried one because I just assumed I would wake up like the hunchback of notre dame.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
I don't. I actually sleep more comfortably than I do in my bed. Many of the modern camping hammocks are cut asymetrically and you sleep diagonally. I can sleep on my side and even my front so it is pretty comfortable. However, I am not so tall but Chris didn't take to hammocking and I tnink it could be that he is quite tall and slim.
Cheers
Bloffy

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I am 6’2” and have the Expedition zip deluxe from HH. If you set the hammock correctly, which is easy with a little practice you will sleep fine, and I agree with Bloffy that I get a better night’s sleep than in my bed at home. The first night you spend in a hammock will often not be the best, but for me at least I could not go back to lying on the ground. I have had miserable nights in a hammock, but they have been due to me not setting it properly or failing to use a tarp or not having an underquilt.
Getting in and out of a sleeping bag is a bit more of an issue at night, but that depends on how much grog you have had and the state of your prostate!

I would try a hammock on a warm night first as you will not want the added expense of an underquilt unless you know you will continue this method.

The other reasons I prefer hammocks are that I have a dodgy lower back and shoulder. I prefer being off the ground to keep away from crawlies, unexpected downpours etc.

Disadvantages include not being able to have a brew and cook breakfast whilst lying in your bag!ß

There will not always be trees available, but you can use it as a ground tent with some poles and even use a one tree hang(never tried it) or even set up between a tree and vehicle or two vehicles etc.

MDU didn’t get on with hammocking, nor did Chris M. Chris had a very bad neck and this may have been one reason. I seem to recall MDU didn’t get on with the bottom entry and the ridge this leaves on the inside.

Bloffy, Uneekwahn and Doc are far more experienced hammockers than me.

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
My twosun ts68 knife came today. I really like it. It's perfect size for me for outdoor carry. M390 steel, titanium scales. It's a front flipper - I'm a spaz and can't get it in one flip, so I flip it about half open then finish with the hole in the blade. It's still smooth opening, and I'm not tactical so don't need instant readiness. Great price too - $72. They only sell on ebay or amazon apparently. I bought mine via auction on ebay. Highly recommended.
Talk about cute .

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
If you pull it further down to cover your face, it would be even better. Lol.
Looks the goods and I took a look at the website. Hmmm interesting.
Cheers
Bloffy
IIRC, we're yet to see your fabled cloak.
I vote for a meet at the Balingup festival this year!!!

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Oh yea, verily. Went last year for the first time. Actually put my cloak on so I didnt look so conspicuous. I'm up for it. BTW I did wear it at Boyup Brook. And I have worn it before at other camps.
Cheers
Bloffy

uneekwahn

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Arrived today! (On a public holiday and all.)
The pointy bit fits perfectly. After Ms Redtail had stopped laughing, she took the photo and she's now insisting we go to to the Mediaeval Festival this year. I think she'll even braid me a tassled belt to go with it!

View attachment 26300
So this is designed so you can grope your manboobs all day?