BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What knife are you carrying today?

Kindliing

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
This old high carbon steel knife I picked up at an op shop for 3$ I think a while ago .
Terrific quality steel , other than maybe a scandi grind mora this would be the sharpest knife around here .

sharper than an old hickory here too.

B909B4D8-C6BD-4834-BA93-1F574D21FC4E.jpeg

Kindliing

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Leatherman wingman lately and the diamond steel from Svord there that can be bought , that fits in their sheaths is great for sharpening the wingman and the victorinox soldier knife between the serrations .
I’ve seen others around the same shape also,
the Victorinox soldier knife is terrible though at gutting or skinning a rabbit as it has no pointy point on the blade ,although great for eating pork chops among other things . So the wingman is better for that and the reason For this recent switch.

btw , a couple rubber bands cut from bike tube can be put around the svord diamond steel bottom and top to stop it working it’s way up out of the sheath as I’ve found it can .

02619C58-1B8A-4EFE-BEE4-ED02FD27BC76.jpeg

Last edited:

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
+1 on those ranger bands, very useful, easy repurposing/recycling and can be used to start fir3s as well.

Kindliing

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
+1 on those ranger bands, very useful, easy repurposing/recycling and can be used to start fir3s as well.
Yes very very useful , I have them too on a couple other knives , one is on a mora sheath ,
Loop over the knife handle for retention and the other end in the belt loop .
Lost many knives before so am cautious now .
also found them good for holding a ferro rod to a knife sheath when cut very wide .

Last edited:

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
It's Winter and wet. I've been bush walking with Basil the staghound and my tuff lite mini. I've mentioned it here a few times - it's the knife I grab if I know I'm in shit weather or I'm on the mtb. I seem to use it for cutting zip ties, switches from trees, and shaving around wounds.

I've also been carrying the normal size tuff lite (still small). I love the toughness and solid feel, stupid thin hollow ground blade, and the texture of the handle. Also bright colors so they are easy to find if they are put down in the bush (I have a pink and a red one).

The mini:

cs tuff lite mini.jpg

Normal tuff lite:

tuff lite blue.jpg

Kindliing

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
28FEF156-B533-4D70-8846-E4E0DC859BC3.png

victory 6” stiff curved boning knife like this pic .
It was a chipped one the butchers had laying around so they gifted it when I told them I wanted to buy one like theirs . 5 minutes cutting it on a brick and 25 on the stone then steel and it’s perfect again now .

the butchers have been kind enough and offered to let me use their belt sander out the back of the shop and make a few knives pointier and change the spine/profile , did the victorinox soldier (so it’s now good for bunnies and things )
Did the Svord trapper (so it’s now capable for pigs/fish Etc the jack of all trades and no longer an upswept Bowie curved end ,
pointier tip and more straightish across )
And did the victory boner ( because it’s sharp as in the field and made a good point on the end so now good for pigs and fish and bunnies too , if need be ).

also squared up the spines for ferro rods .

found about 4 seconds on the bench mounted belt sander was good then dip the knife in the water bucket .
Don’t press hard and keep touching the steel and you can feel it’s not even getting warm .
Did not sand the blade side at all .

this way it took a bit of time , however didn’t have any trepidation about ruining the heat treats .

Also ordered one of these sheaths from eBay for the boning knife .
Aus post has it on an expenses paid holiday from Darwin to north qld via Brisbane at the moment .
Which doesn’t make much sense going north south then south north again to me .
C7177E1A-68D8-4ECE-8CE7-6C0AFF636D29.png

Last edited:

Timbo

Les Stroud
Reaction score
IMG_20210722_205911.jpghave been carrying around the Gerber paraframe mini for a while but found it too small when I've really needed a cutting edge. I've never Been a serrated or frame lock fan but found the bigger paraframe really comfortable and at half price, couldn't say no. It's my new EDC.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Civivi rustic gent has been in my pocket lately.
It's a beautiful looking blade and a thin hollow grind! How do you find it for cutting?

I think it is the same blade that the newly released appalachian drifter II has - drifter is a slipjoint, drifter II has a liner lock. I'm waiting on one - I do like back locks though.

Askew

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
It's a beautiful looking blade and a thin hollow grind! How do you find it for cutting?

I think it is the same blade that the newly released appalachian drifter II has - drifter is a slipjoint, drifter II has a liner lock. I'm waiting on one - I do like back locks though.
It slices very nicely. I'm half tempted to buy another one.

Kindliing

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
73A89EAF-F7A0-40E6-9C64-0D56D345B05B.jpeg
bahco terrific for cleaning bunnies . The thin edge is not good for chopping bone I will add , as it can and does chip .

Last edited: