What knife are you carrying today?

Askew

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I've heard good and some negatives about the Saker , mostly from the back yard utube reviewers . As you own the knife , how have you found the knife ?
It's a nice knife. I haven't used it a lot but haven't had any issues with it. Edge needed a bit of work out of the box. Was there anything in particular you wanted to know about it?

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I went for a ride on my eMTB today. In the toolkit I have the SAK handyman. I keep it in a piece of mtb inner tube zip tied one end, the other end folds over and is held with a rubber band. I've actually used inner tube rubber on a few fixes. I've also pinched the rubber band from this as well, replaced it, then pinched it again. So everything with this knife has potential multiple uses and is up for grabs - including the key ring. It also has a hootchy cord lanyard in quick deploy easy to make 2 strand weave. It's about 6" long but will give me around 40cm I think - enough for a boot lace or to pull apart a chain that has a joining link. Lots of other uses too, I'm sure. I've used this sak to manufacture fixes quite a few times. Everything on a sak has a potential use sooner or later, but I did have a set of features I wanted as core, the rest are an added bonus. Scissors, file/hacksaw, wood saw, pliers, blade, tweezers, awl (predominantly for drilling holes). You can see my choices pretty much cover manufacturing or repairing things. I've added a sewing needle - there's a hole for the sak pin near the corkscrew pivot. I've also added the tiny screw driver that lives in the corkscrew. The pliers are very fine - I've used them as tweezers when the true tweezers are too light duty. They're also good for pushing / pulling the sewing needle through leather. I've also used the pliers for removing foreign objects from wounds (little stones, sticks etc). And used the knife to shave around wounds so that gaffer tape will stick better. The big flat screw driver is an awesome lever. The pliers can also cut wire - you can see the notch behind the jaws. Each side of the pliers has a notch - when the pliers are open you can lie a piece of wire through both open notches. They kind of cut like a scissor action. I consider the chisel the least useful thing on this.

Last edited:

barra650

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
It's a nice knife. I haven't used it a lot but haven't had any issues with it. Edge needed a bit of work out of the box. Was there anything in particular you wanted to know about it?
Nothing in particular , I just liked the look of the knife . Not sure if the CRKT still make it .

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
just got my 037 back from having a bit of warranty work done (bent the pocket clip on it so it had to be replaced) so has to have a bit of pocket time again.

Top job as always True Talon(y)
While the anti-Chinese sentiment may be high at the moment I still love my Chinese flippers, they can't help where they were made :p

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
haven't done a review for a while so True Talon was kind enough to send this beauty along to test out, carrying as part of my review process, Civivi Incite Damascus

WanderOn

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I know this is slightly off subject but how do you guys carry your knife? I don’t tend to wear a belt and if it’s not attached to me either I’ll lose it or one of my mini me’s will get it
Looking at a real steel megalodon
Thanks

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
pocket carry exclusively for me, using the pocket clip so I know exactly where the knife is at all times. I have carried (EDC) a pocket knife that way for 4 decades so it is second nature to me now.

The solution to losing your knife is a lanyard mate, add a lanyard with clip, attach the lanyard to the lanyard attachment point of the knife and clip to a belt loop.

The Real Steel Megalodon is a great knife, I have three of them, the Titan, Eclipse and E801, all are top notch flippers and carry well and ride well in pocket.

WanderOn

Russell Coight
Reaction score
pocket carry exclusively for me, using the pocket clip so I know exactly where the knife is at all times. I have carried (EDC) a pocket knife that way for 4 decades so it is second nature to me now.

The solution to losing your knife is a lanyard mate, add a lanyard with clip, attach the lanyard to the lanyard attachment point of the knife and clip to a belt loop.

The Real Steel Megalodon is a great knife, I have three of them, the Titan, Eclipse and E801, all are top notch flippers and carry well and ride well in pocket.
Thanks waveman

WanderOn

Russell Coight
Reaction score

for a full blown Russell Coight is there a discernible difference between the Sandvik blade and higher grade blades?
Thanks

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
here's all three side by side

as far as differences, steel wise you are comparing 14c28n for the e801 to M390 for the Titan and Eclipse, 14c28n is a budget stainless steel and will give budget steel performance, M390 is a premium stainless steel and gives premium steel performance.

I will admit the cut tests I have seen for the Titan weren't that great and it performed reasonably poorly, even though the tested knife HRC was at HRC 60 (so with in Bohler's recommended range for m390), still it did a lot better than any 14c28n blade test I have seen.

Where the Titan and Eclipse shine is their stellar flipping action, I would put them up against $1000 Shirogorov's action wise for smoothness and snappy deployment.

I personally think the Titan and Eclipse are worth the extra money.

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I know this is slightly off subject but how do you guys carry your knife? I don’t tend to wear a belt and if it’s not attached to me either I’ll lose it or one of my mini me’s will get it
Looking at a real steel megalodon
Thanks
I played around with different locations. If I'm wearing pants and a belt, I clip it inside the pocket near the seem. If I'm wearing shorts or pants without a belt, I clip it into the waistband on my right - it is between my side and back. The clip goes inside the waist band, the knife stays outside. This is an awesome place and doesn't interfere with driving or working.

WanderOn

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I played around with different locations. If I'm wearing pants and a belt, I clip it inside the pocket near the seem. If I'm wearing shorts or pants without a belt, I clip it into the waistband on my right - it is between my side and back. The clip goes inside the waist band, the knife stays outside. This is an awesome place and doesn't interfere with driving or working.
Thanks Randall
Will give waistband a try

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I'm carrying an artisan small archaeo. I've had it for a while and haven't particularly like it. I tend to use heavier knives at home or when working. This one is very light, has a thick spine. I'm actually enjoying it though - it is light and simple. The thick spine means it isn't a great slicer, which is why I haven't liked it previously. It also had lock stick - that isn't too bad now. Just used it for about an hour harvesting from the garden.

artisan small archaeo.jpg

Last edited: