What knife are you carrying today?

BushcrafterAU

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I went for a walk in the high country - I usually take stuff that I can depend on. I didn't give it much thought and grabbed the cold steel mini tuff lite. It's really good for outdoor acivities. It's small and light, every thing works well, and it's not really bothered by water or sweat (or both). The other option would have been my spyderco dragonfly 2.

View attachment 26328
What’s the size comparison like between that and the Dragonfly 2?

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
What’s the size comparison like between that and the Dragonfly 2?
I found a photo online, because I'm lazy :). The tuff lite is smaller - 125mm vs 142mm. Dragonfly blade is about a cm longer. Mini tuff lite is overall thicker - thicker blade stock and handle, but probably thinner behind the edge due to being hollow ground. My dragonfly is zdp189. The dragonfly is probably the better knife in most respects, but I just like taking the mini tuff lite. Although, just handling them now the mini is ergonomically better because of the thicker handle. Dragonfly feels lighter,
but weight is not an issue for either. I think with the mini it's a combo of price, toughness, strength, the color for outdoors, indifference to sweat and water etc. But really the dragonfly has all those features too, except for price and color. I have 2 mini's; one pink, one orange. I usually wear the pink one when I'm walking and it's clipped to the front of my belt. If I'm wearing a light thermal, which is body hugging so I tuck it in, the knife is visible. If I'm with people they notice it but it doesn't bother them - one woman even thought it used disposable blades. She was shocked at it's sharpness. Spyderco knives are very good. I know they are logically well designed and well made. I just find them boring, like bmw motorcycles (they go fast and do most things well, but as boring as bat shit to ride). If you like spyderco knives though, you can't go wrong. But, the mini tuff lite and tuff lite are also well regarded and have a loyal following. They've stopped making the mini but stock is still around - they are an easy recommendation due to cost and functionality and toughness.

Last edited:

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I have a few ganzo's in D2 now. This one I'm carrying, the FH11, is bigger than I normally like, but it's a great knife. It has carbon fiber scales, stainless steel nested liner lock, 118mm closed, 87mm blade, 3.3mm thick, full flat grind, 112gm. It is well made and everything works well. It actually sits in my pocket better than some smaller knives. I like the handle with straight edges and the relatively simple blade. It's just nice to use. I only wear it around home because of it's size. It was under $40.00 delivered. The bevel is steeper than I'd like - somewhere around 22 or 23 degrees. It came sharp and I've only been stropping it. When it needs sharpening I'll make it 20 degrees.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Ganzo has really stepped up in recent years, and gone are the days when they were crap. Going with a big ZT today, 0804CF to be specific.

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I went walking today, and took a spyderco pingo. I haven't used it much because it is a slip joint and is 2 handed opening and closing. It was an early buy - I loved the blade shape. As it happens, it has come into it's own. Often while walking, this time of year, my hands are fumbly with some cold or I'm wearing light gloves. These things make flippers and locks hard to use. The pingo I just pinch the blade, gloves or not. And it's still a small size for the front of my belt. And it's loud orange - if it ends up on the ground it is going to be easy to see. I also think the loud colours make knives less intimidating - screaming non tactical :ROFLMAO:.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
mate the 'tactical' thing is really hitting home for me at the moment, as I look over my EDC rotation and time after time all of my knives are looking very "intimidating", they all seem to big 'stabby looking' black ano'ed beasts that scare sheeple. Still I keep gravitating towards 4" bladed flippers. for anything I want to carry EDC.

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I imagine you carry yours "non visible". For me the knife is only visible through winter, while I'm bushwalking, and if I strip down to my thermal. Other shirts, I normally don't tuck in. Out bush, it's usually just the people I'm with, or I'm alone, or just my partner. So, bushwalking I try to go loud and obvious; nobody has paid any attention :ROFLMAO:. It's also one of those activities where a knife isn't out of place.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
just getting to know my latest acquisition WE037 (I just reviewed this model and liked it so much I bought one)

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Two knives today. I've been out, so took a smaller knife for the front of my belt, and now I'm home with a longer knife in my pocket. The smaller one is a Twosun TS08. It's heavy with a thick blade spine of 3.8mm. Titanium scales, ceramic bearings, flipper, frame lock, D2 blade, 111gms, 153mm long, 59mm blade. On paper it's small, thick and heavy. In reality it's awesome. I really like it. I usually grab this when I'm going out socially ie not bush walking or riding mtb. The weight doesn't bother me - I clip it to the front of my belt. It's just nice to use and hold. It also had immediate use today. I couldn't find my car keys. I have a spare hidden under the car, and secured with a big zip tie. I had to crawl under the car and cut the zip tie. In the past I've been caught without a knife and had to use a rock to cut the zip tie by bashing it with an edge. Dirt gets knocked loose doing this and straight into my eyes :mad:.

At home, I've grabbed a new knife; a Ganzo FH21. It's G10, D2 blade, nested stainless steel liners, liner lock, good pass through, 197mm length, 86mm blade, 3.5mm blade thickness, 97g. I've only played with this knife, but I also really like it. Everything works well, it's good to hold, and it is kind of long and slim - easy to carry.

TwoSun TS08 left.jpg

Last edited:

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
This!

Only joking. Bloffy is getting it for me for Chrimbo.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I have been very impressed with the WE037, it hasn't left my pocket since I bought it. Great ergo's, light weight, really good edge geometry and overall a fantastic knife

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
This!

Only joking. Bloffy is getting it for me for Chrimbo.
Yep, but only if you're good.
Tick tick tick.....nope, no improvement.....
Cheers
Bloffy

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Woohoo! It's humongous. Only around the house - any heavier and it would drag my pants down :ROFLMAO: It's a novelty. I'm sure this would be a great outdoors knife too. I might try it to nick dried hardwood when I use the hobo stove next (nick then break at the nick).