What knife are you carrying today?

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I've been using my sheepdog mini. I like this knife. It swings open majestically. The blade is a great slicer. It's fairly small, around a 2" blade, which is really my ideal. This isn't a picture of mine, but you can see there isn't much allowance made for you to release the liner lock. I struggled trying to squeeze my thumb in there to push the liner lock across. I have since dismantled the knife, used super glue to glue the g10 scale to the stainless liner on the non lock side. Then I put the liner and scale in a small vise and used a round file to make a divot for the end of my thumb to fit in. I've had to do this to 3 knives now. I have an enzo birk folder that is beautiful to use, so I copied the divot pretty much:

sheepdog mini (without divot)

Enzo Birk - I copied this divot.

Last edited:

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
One of my home knives due to length - a spyderco delica 4. It is one of spyderco's biggest sellers (or it is the biggest seller), and one of my first knife purchases since I got interested. It's as boring as batshit, but after collecting a few more knives I now know that everything is done just right on this. Thin blade, full flat grind, very light, well made, good lock, good clip, easy to use, great quality. You really can't go wrong with this knife. They put a lot of thought into the design and manufacture. And if you get it new, it won't come with any bevel anomalies - 20 degrees both sides.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
going with my Real Steel Megalodon Eclipse today, really like this knife, light and easy to carry.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Anybody use one of these?

Or the LD 41

They have a thumb stub 3 1/2 inch blade.

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I went for a walk in the high country - I usually take stuff that I can depend on. I didn't give it much thought and grabbed the cold steel mini tuff lite. It's really good for outdoor acivities. It's small and light, every thing works well, and it's not really bothered by water or sweat (or both). The other option would have been my spyderco dragonfly 2.

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Anybody use one of these?

Or the LD 41

They have a thumb stub 3 1/2 inch blade.
It looks better than the saks. The steel is slightly better. Everything is a bit bigger, which is good. Corkscrews - sak users keep trying to come up with different uses for the corkscrew - undoing knots is about the best use and they are great for that. You can also use something like a paracord loop - put the knot near the hinge end of the corkscrew, then wind the cord down the length of the corkscrew. The knife body can then become a handle for carrying shopping bags or a load of wood for example. Awl / reamer is a really handy thing - I've done boot and pack harness repairs and drilled lots of holes with it. Scissors are very useful - two of us had hair cuts on Fraser island with sak scissors. They're also really good for cutting stitches, trimming nose hair, eyebrows and finger / toe nails. Nice blade and it locks! That style of screwdriver isn't used much except on camera tripods, some battery compartments, telescopic sights etc - but they are good levers. The saw, of course, is useful, although the same style as a sak. No offset in the teeth but they work. I've used them on wood and hard plastic. I researched whether you can sharpen them without much luck. A fine file and a jewellers loupe (20x) should work at least for half the height of the teeth. The teeth are fairly complex. I always keep sak saws for emergencies. If I knew I needed a saw I'd take a bahco or silky. That belt cutter looks easy enough to sharpen. Spoke nipples come in all different sizes - you might be lucky.

Last edited:

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Great job! Did you do it all with the knife? And what sort of wood is that (hard or soft). It looks a very effective baton and a great looking knife.

Totumpole

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Great job! Did you do it all with the knife? And what sort of wood is that (hard or soft). It looks a very effective baton and a great looking knife.
Cheers. The round ends were cut with a saw. I did do one cut through the whole thing with just the knife when I was collecting it, just to see if I could - took 30mins! The rest was all the knife.
I'm not 100% sure what the wood is, but pretty hard I think, judging by the weight of the round. Might ask the group in another thread.IMG_3501.jpg

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Cheers. The round ends were cut with a saw. I did do one cut through the whole thing with just the knife when I was collecting it, just to see if I could - took 30mins! The rest was all the knife.
I'm not 100% sure what the wood is, but pretty hard I think, judging by the weight of the round. Might ask the group in another thread.View attachment 26330
Sorry; I'd never expect you to cut through that with a knife - I wouldn't. A small saw is much better for the job. I suppose I meant just making the handle. The timber does look heavy. Either way, nice job on the baton.

Totumpole

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Sorry; I'd never expect you to cut through that with a knife - I wouldn't. A small saw is much better for the job. I suppose I meant just making the handle. The timber does look heavy. Either way, nice job on the baton.
Thanks, I'm sure it will see plenty of use around camp.

Just to explain a little background as to why I'm whacking logs with a knife. This is the kind of knife many people say is a "one tool option", and its the first knife I have purchased that could be in that category. As such I'm currently doing a bit of testing to see what you can achieve. As you say a saw is far more efficient (at least 10x in time and effort/calories according to my little test). Initial findings of my experiment in short: 1) this knife can do a lot of things,, but far from perfect for most of the tasks. 2) I hope I am never in a situation with only a single cutting tool at my disposal when my life depends on it! I'll probably do a write up on here once I've finished all the projects I intend to with the knife.

Last edited: