BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

What is your preferred colour for bags and packs??

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
For me it really does depend on what I am doing and where I am doing it.

For walking around town and doing the shopping I really have no preference but perhaps safety where cars are concerned would tend me to get a brighter colour and add reflective tape.
For ski-touring and work above the snow line then brighter is better and I go for RED, hot pink and fluorescent yellows and lots of retroreflection.
But when it comes to bushcraft ( and hunting) I like to stay subdued and as invisible as possible and then I like grey, khaki and olive drab.

if you had the choice ( and most rucksacks give you very little choice ) which colour would you pick and why??

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
I go with Blue. It is an easy colour to keep looking clean, and stands out well in the bush, and it is not in your face so to speak. I don't see any point in making my equipment blend into the bush I loose enough stuff without making it hard to see.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Depends on what I'm doing and where I will be doing it...

For general bushcrafting and the like, I go with earth tones, it's my habit and my choice.

Above the snow line I will use brighter colours for visibility reasons.... or simply throw an orange work vest over my general rucksack for the same reasons... I carry one in my gear anyway as part of my emergency kit.

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I go for the Tan colour as it fits in with the bush out here. I also have a DPM reversible cover that has a Hi Viz orange square if you need to be seen.

TasMonk

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Definitely dull greens and earth tones for my kit. I don't spend much time in the snow (I had more than enough of that back in the old country) and if I'm out in the bush it's to connect and become more a part of it, not stand out or frighten it away. On the other hand, I can't stand camouflage patterns, both because I don't feel they add much advantage over natural color kit (at least for my purposes) and because of the old country association that camo gear has for me (macho para-military poser wankery).

HitchHiking

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I enjoy the earth tones as mentioned. Maybe something that shows a bit of dirts so I can brag how it got on there etc. Bright colours have their place too like maybe on a summit pack but for bushcraft is earths all the way.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I often buy red mostly because it looks good in photos ! Seriously !

But I'm not really very fussy - if the green pack is on sale, then I like green.

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Bright Orange.. I love the attention it'll bring.
Not even while hunting in the bush I wish to use other color..
I am not at war so no need to hide, besides the animals are color blind anyway.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Most animals have difficulty seeing reds and oranges true enough, but birds see full colour very well and I am always aware of the need to hide from "Bush-policemen"
Deer can see blue ( and UV) as well as green.
nothing wrong with being visible tho, and like Templar I always seem to have a "Hi-Vis" vest somewhere in my pack

Red23

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I always try to take some hi-viz gear, although my vest was butchered for the kids (my wife made two pint sized vests out of it)

I find that when I'm out bush I don't want to be super noticeable just because you never know who you might stumble onto. In a national park or commonly used area it doesn't matter so much, but the last thing I want when I'm somewhere out of the way is someone coming up and not following the etiquette guidelines (ie leave me the hell alone)

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
I find it interesting... Bushcraft if about becoming part of your environment and not standing apart from it... all these NATO Blue and Red Packs just seperate you from the environment, also they create an eyesore for other users of the bush who go there to feel part of nature, instead we see orange/red/blue blobs everywhere... also the added safety of blending with ones environment when it comes to "undesirable" elements in the bush.

In Europe and The US the use of dull colours has been espoused for these reasons, and has nothing to do with the "Macho Para-Military" types but simply a wish to keep the woods "Green" and seperate from the synthetic environment of the urban madness... the bright colours chosen are not naturally found in the bush, and IMHO have no place there for general use in the bush... however the carry of a work vest or the like for emergency use safely stowed in a pack until needed is a fine option.

On camouflage... as a former Soldier and Veteran, if you didn't earn the privillage... please don't wear/use military patterns it if at all possible, it is a Uniform worn with pride, not a pretty pattern to decorate your body & equipment with...

Last edited:

TasMonk

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I find it interesting... Bushcraft if about becoming part of your environment and not standing apart from it... all these NATO Blue and Red Packs just seperate you from the environment, also they create an eyesore for other users of the bush who go there to feel part of nature, instead we see orange/red/blue blobs everywhere... also the added safety of blending with ones environment when it comes to "undesirable" elements in the bush.

In Europe and The US the use of dull colours has been espoused for these reasons, and has nothing to do the "Macho Para-Military" types but simply a wish to keep the woods "Green" and seperate from the synthetic environment of the urban madness... the bright colours chosen are not naturally found in the bush, and IMHO have no place there for general use in the bush... however the carry of a work vest or the like for emergency use safely stowed in a pack until needed is a fine option.

On camouflage... as a former Soldier and Veteran, if you didn't earn the privillage... please don't wear/use military patterns it if at all possible, it is a Uniform worn with pride, not a pretty pattern to decorate your body & equipment with...

I think you and I agree entirely! Just to clear though, as you seem to be quoting my quote, I have nothing at all against OD Green and such solid muted colors that are often also used for military gear being used by bushcrafters. In fact, I prefer them for my own gear! My objection was specifically to the use of camouflage patterns, which is also something that you object to as well, though for another (and even more valid) reason. I was certainly not wishing to denigrate anyone who wears military camo because they are, or have been, in the military, and I hope that my comment did not offend you. It is the plethora of posers in camo back in the old country that have given me a distaste for its general use.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
@ TasMonk:
No worries mate, I'm not offended at all by the comment, it was just a term that was in my mind as I typed and not meant to be directed at your post...

@ Moondog55:
Yes, you do have the right to disagree and I spent a large portion of my life maintaining your right to do so... I just hate seeing long haired idiots wearing the uniform, especially when they have no intention of doing so professionally... as for the wearing of insignia and awards... flogging is too light a punishment IMHO. However, I do understand that for some it is a cheaper option than some of the brand names out there and that they do also like the pattern and cut of those items, I just ask that if its worn do so with a little respect for those who do wear it and give up their freedoms so the citizenry may enjoy those same freedoms granted to them.
Besides, if it on issue to the ADF, it is technically illegal to own and use by non-service personnel, as has been pointed out in another thread... I have no problem with civilian patterns, only those issued to the Active Military.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Templar I'm glad that you had the *** to wear the uniform in anger, but my personal POV is that the clothing is only clothing; cheap comfortable and serviceable and that is why most people wear it; I wear it myself for that reason.

I'd still be wearing greens if there were any left in my size. the army never made clothes for the size I am now.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
As I said, I can understand that fact mate, I have no hard feelings about the matter, just expressing my own POV...

now lets get back on topic and leave the matter alone... :_sii:

chutes

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
My two current main packs are ALICE, so I'd have to say OD green. I have a khaki "assault pack" as well, but it's mainly used as carry-on when travelling.

Personally, I wouldn't care too much what colour my pack is as long as it's not high viz. dark blues, charcoals, forest green, burnt orange, olive drab, tan, whatever. I do like to blend wherever possible and figure a removeable high-viz green pack cover and an orange safety vest are enough to stand out if need be.

More important to me these days is carrying capacity, suspension system design, tweakability and long-term comfort. I'm liking the design of the aarn bodypack system for hiking and it's certainly not drab colours.