What is your Bushcraft Lauch Vehicle?

Mine is
1.My own two feet as I live in the bush
2.Toyota camry or honda civic
3.TD5 Defender

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
mine would be The Hilux SR 5. and a nice little Xtrail for day trips.

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
Hilux grinner. Never had a speeding ticket, won't get one without a tailwind either.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Whatever happens to be moving in the right direction... But if I'm driving to a loc. it will be my Toyota RAV4... then transfer to GP Express for the remainder... here in 'nam, Xe om (see ohm) taxi or a motor bike if I ever get the time to go out and do something...

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
My trusty Hilux,
On the trusty note, I took my off-road rubber back off today, to put my road wheels on, and note that it has done another rear axle oil seal, Bugger.

Last edited:

jaco

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Toyota Yaris :_l:. With a folding bike in the boot. And a pair of hiking boots or Redbacks...

southey

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Either my 125 Honda (still a learner, Hoping to get off my arse and pass the full license next year) its a mile muncher, Super comfy and very economical 270ish miles to a tank of unleaded,

Or our 2003 Jeep wrangler,

chutes

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I drive a 32-year old 40 series Toyota Landcruiser - mostly stock. Before that I had a 100 series cruiser. Who needs aircon when you've got kick vents? You can't beat the classics ;)

T.C.

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Probably my dedicated camp vehicle....... my HILUX lol no surprise there. Its all set up for extended comfortable stays- roof top tent, 50lt engel powered by a 80w panel, big chunky mud terrains and an extra 80lt desiel tank. If i'm on my own its then my Suzuki DRZ 400.

Mountainwalker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Yamaha TDM 900, half way through the process of making it into an adventure bike.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
town car for me is a Ford Fairmont BA, off road is a Toyota Landcruiser ute diesel 100 series.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I drive a 32-year old 40 series Toyota Landcruiser - mostly stock. Before that I had a 100 series cruiser. Who needs aircon when you've got kick vents? You can't beat the classics ;)
Ah memories.
I'm currently driving an 80 series Landcruiser but I can well remember my own little 40.
It was a BJ40 with the 3ltr B series diesel & was my first 4wd.
Pretty rudimentary by today's standards but I bought it with 78,000kms on the clock & sold it with 813,000kms on it.
Motor was never been apart (had a clutch & 2 water pumps + general service items) & it was still ticking over like a dream when I watched the back end of it disapear down the street with a tear in my eye.
I did a few suspension mods & fitted a winch & it would all but climb trees when off rd.
What a fantastic off rd vehicle that was.
Saw a great many deer hunts with me & took me to damned near every corner of the coutry.
The only prob was;
Manual steering + front drum brakes + short wheel base + deep water holes = lookout when braking on hwy at speed.
Damned thing used to try to head bush like a dog with a Kenworth up it's arse.

Must admit I do love the 80 though. So civilised when heading off rd.
Have had several LCs between them two & every one of em has been nothing short of brilliant.
Love em.

Bill A.

chutes

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Ah memories.
I'm currently driving an 80 series Landcruiser but I can well remember my own little 40.
It was a BJ40 with the 3ltr B series diesel & was my first 4wd.
Pretty rudimentary by today's standards but I bought it with 78,000kms on the clock & sold it with 813,000kms on it.
Motor was never been apart (had a clutch & 2 water pumps + general service items) & it was still ticking over like a dream when I watched the back end of it disapear down the street with a tear in my eye.
I did a few suspension mods & fitted a winch & it would all but climb trees when off rd.
What a fantastic off rd vehicle that was.
Saw a great many deer hunts with me & took me to damned near every corner of the coutry.
The only prob was;
Manual steering + front drum brakes + short wheel base + deep water holes = lookout when braking on hwy at speed.
Damned thing used to try to head bush like a dog with a Kenworth up it's arse.

Must admit I do love the 80 though. So civilised when heading off rd.
Have had several LCs between them two & every one of em has been nothing short of brilliant.
Love em.

Bill A.
LOL Mine's a 79 model BJ40 - definitely don't regret upgrading from the 100 ;)

It's mostly stock, but the previous owner upgraded the donk to a 3.4 litre B series diesel with a set of extractors and the seats are out of a celica I believe - very comfy. She's got drum brakes all round so I hear ya loud and clear on the wet brakes syndrome. Driven with care, it's an awesome vehicle and she's done the Cape twice. Mine's a factory soft top model so in summer I run it top and doors off with a bikini top rolled up in a box in the back. Surprisingly, doors off seems to be quite legal down here so it's kind of like a big, lumbering, diesel J**p with no need for aircon unless stuck in traffic (which is very rare). In winter the heater throws out enough warm stuff that it's toasty. It's a "spartan" vehicle - very basic and workmanlike, looking like something out of the 1950s. Despite that, it's got a CB, full stereo system, GPS and LED lighting inside. Best of both worlds.

With regular servicing every 5K kms the only problem I've had in the two years I had with it (so far) was a bad battery, and the clutch slave cylinder crapped out. I'll give her about 12 months then go through and replace the wheel cylinders and probably the pilot bearing in the clutch which has started to make a little whine. Then of course there's the inevitable rust in the rear sill which is becoming a problem. All up, she's not bad for a vehicle almost as old as I am and she's got plenty of years and kms left in her.

I originally wanted one of these:

Then I saw the price tag - between $90K and $178k - and began to alternate between laughing and crying.

(http://www.icon4x4.com/overview/fj/models)

chutes

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
How could I forget my other BLV?

Bought a mountain bike from Supercheap ages ago and it's been in storage. Cost me about $150 and it's heavy as hell :) Just the ticket for a bit of cardio in the afternoons.

From an old supercheap catalogue: Pretty sure it's the same as mine

Planned mods include:

a gear/tool bag on the horizontal part of the frame
Water bottle holder
Phone/GPS clamp on the handlebars (there are some awesome Android apps for mountain biking/cycling)
A pannier system (the frame of which I have, but haven't mounted or modified yet) which will include dual purpose pannier bases for attaching nylon saddle-bag style panniers or two US army sustainment pouches on each side.

Corin's railbikes have got me thinking too, since that same abandoned railway line is about a half hour's bike ride from me :)

I accidentally snapped off the rear reflector the other day when I was putting it back together so I have to replace that, and the rear disc brakes seem to have seized. I've been using an LED head torch mounted to my helmet rather than a headlight on the handlebars - it works OK, so I might just run with that.

Bikes are cool and bikes just out of storage are fun to work on, repair and maintain.