What is this

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Wasnt sure where to post this but its pointy so i put it in cutting tools sub forum.
I know what it is.
Anyone hazard a guess?

Picture 010.jpgPicture 011.jpgPicture 012.jpg

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
Looks like 316 stainless, I'd guess something marine related ;)

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like its designed to be hammerd into something (wood?), leaving a peg exposed ?

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Almost looks like a spear tip or some sort of decorative piece. Strange though.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Marine yes, 316 yes, spear tip yes.
form Palm Island N.Qld
It was made by a Palm Island friend and gifted to me.
It was made out of round 316 stainless 12mm bar.
A ss washer was welded about 1/3 along.
The other end was first squared, then the barbs were cut with a fine three corner file.
The barbs and tip are wicked sharp.
This one was never used.
A rope is fastened between the barbs and the washer and the round end fits into a heavy spear
which is reinforced with a ferrule.
The rope is held with the spear by a man (never heard of a woman doing this) who stands at the front of a boat.
When a turtle is spotted it is chased and the spear thrown at the back ,not too hard or the shell may be fractured,
just hard enough to push the point into the shell. The spear falls out and is retrived. the harpoon point (called a coyu?? not sure abt spelling)
catches on the muscle and sinue just inside the shell and the turtle ,after a bit struggle can be pulled in.
I imagine this hurts like hell.The whole is plugged with rag and the turtle is kept alive and butchered back on land.
A significant amount of meat is obtained and shared amongs family and friends, no part was wasted.
Certain individuals wre particularly good at this as there is a fair bit of skill involved for a sucessful hunt.
Im not sure if dugongs were taken with the same point ( they are rarely caught around Palm)
The turtles taken were the Green sea turtle.

Hairy

Last edited: