What gear are you carrying today (pics)

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Uses a low power laser, running off a cr2 battery.
View attachment 26136

The tape job is fine Thrud(y)
What is that tape called?
What environment is that camo for?
Does the laser emission indicator show how effectively it is reading the target distance?
So is it constantly finding distance wherever you point the cross hairs, or do you need to push a button to take a reading?
Pretty incredible piece of technology, hey:)

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
The tape job is fine Thrud(y)
What is that tape called?
What environment is that camo for?
Does the laser emission indicator show how effectively it is reading the target distance?
So is it constantly finding distance wherever you point the cross hairs, or do you need to push a button to take a reading?
Pretty incredible piece of technology, hey:)
The tape is Gorilla, I think a real tree camo. I’ve got it on other things I think general purpose, not arid or snow though.
Push s button for a reading.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
this is my belt order I wear when hunting, it has a dedicated fire kit pouch, 2 ammo pouches (that fit my Rem 7600 10 rnd mags, 2/pouch) Cold Steel Outdoorsman san maiIII and possibles pouch (which I leave empty, used for collecting tinder, empty shell casing etc). If I am carrying my Ruger M77 MkII 25-06 I replace the mag pouches with 4 fold out 10 rnd ammo pouches. When hunting I always carry 40 rnds on my belt, plus whichever rifle I am using with a full mag.

I would add a shoulder strapped water bottle if I ever walk away from the ute (I hunt from a ute for the most part)

Kindlling

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
26161Glock 78 field knife , spring steel.

These things don't seem to be too well known in Australia, they're really strong , and practical.
They also make the one with a saw backed blade.

Great quality sheath, that the knife won't fall out as it clips in really well.

I got a lighter color handle so if I put it down I can find it more easily, as it comes in , black , and brown and khaki also, this ones desert sand.

Extremely strong glock polymer handle and although not full tang as they are designed to also be the bayonet for a steyer rifle for Austrian army , it doesn't seem to matter . its so well made and designed it is not a problem at all.

The lunatics on YouTube shoot them jump up and down on them and all sorts of crazy stuff.
Way beyond anything in normal use.

Although I'm only an opportunist and not really a pig hunter , this blade is 6 1/2 inch which can do the job if ever the issue appears , whilst being carried as a field knife which is an important inclusion.

This issue I found was looking for a one knife option, so not to get caught out with the wrong tool.

This was the end of the search.
No frills practical sturdy the way I like it , and really light. Won't come off belt by accident either .

The half bent finger guard means the thumb can reach over it to the back of the blade for more control. Though
Its actually made that way for clipping onto the steyer rifle.

Last edited:

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Yes, mora and hultafors also make remarkably strong rat tail tang knives. More than strong enough, cheap and usable. I really like white handled knives - and white motorbikes, which helps me clear the traffic :D. I assume the "lunatics" are dutch bushcraft knives? Those dudes are good value though, and have shown that some cheap knives shit all over high end expensive knives. And they make me laugh

Kindlling

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Yes, mora and hultafors also make remarkably strong rat tail tang knives. More than strong enough, cheap and usable. I really like white handled knives - and white motorbikes, which helps me clear the traffic :D. I assume the "lunatics" are dutch bushcraft knives? Those dudes are good value though, and have shown that some cheap knives shit all over high end expensive knives. And they make me laugh
I don't know those dutch bushcrafters .
The handle is hollow, I've seen youtubers trying to beat and break it with big hammers to no avail , they only bounce off , they've got two metal cylinders I think from what I could find , inside , that the blade attaches to firmly in some way , so its a bit of a different system to the usual run of the mill.

There's thread inside the first cylinder if you lift off the end cap , which means you can screw things into it like a spear or glass breaking bolt etc if you were that way inclined.

Last edited:

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
View attachment 26161Glock 78 field knife , spring steel.

These things don't seem to be too well known in Australia, they're really strong , and practical.
They also make the one with a saw backed blade.

Great quality sheath, that the knife won't fall out as it clips in really well.

I got a lighter color handle so if I put it down I can find it more easily, as it comes in , black , and brown and khaki also, this ones desert sand.

Extremely strong glock polymer handle and although not full tang as they are designed to also be the bayonet for a steyer rifle for Austrian army , it doesn't seem to matter . its so well made and designed it is not a problem at all.

The lunatics on YouTube shoot them jump up and down on them and all sorts of crazy stuff.
Way beyond anything in normal use.

Although I'm only an opportunist and not really a pig hunter , this blade is 6 1/2 inch which can do the job if ever the issue appears , whilst being carried as a field knife which is an important inclusion.

This issue I found was looking for a one knife option, so not to get caught out with the wrong tool.

This was the end of the search.
No frills practical sturdy the way I like it , and really light. Won't come off belt by accident either .

The half bent finger guard means the thumb can reach over it to the back of the blade for more control. Though
Its actually made that way for clipping onto the steyer rifle.

Great choice(y) I know the knife well. Good all rounder. Probably the strongest non-full tang knife there is, & made in Austria by the best.

My gear today;
USMC canteen set
British Army mess kit
Australian Army Shelham clasp knife (as usual)
USGI 9mm pouch pistol (to keep clasp knife in)
USGI Compass, fire steel and water purification tabs pouch
USGI .50cal 100rounds SAW pouch (lol, for mess kit!)
1942 WWII W&G VII Gas Mask Bag with leather strap
First aid kit
Gransfors Bruk Wildlife Hatchet
Cheap leather gloves

Last edited:

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I don't know those dutch bushcrafters .
The handle is hollow, I've seen youtubers trying to beat and break it with big hammers to no avail , they only bounce off , they've got two metal cylinders I think from what I could find , inside , that the blade attaches to firmly in some way , so its a bit of a different system to the usual run of the mill.

There's thread inside the first cylinder if you lift off the end cap , which means you can screw things into it like a spear or glass breaking bolt etc if you were that way inclined.

I am really into knives. There is a guy on You Tube called "Nos's Knife Destruction Tests". A big bloke in a welding-apron wearing a hockey mask who tests knives and hatchets to destruction. While I know I will probably never use a knife to these extremes, I do like knowing basically what a knife is capable of, just in case.

Just for trivia, the strongest knife he ever tested was the Scrap Yard Scrapper- a derivative from Bussee Knives I think, using the Battle Mistress Steel (cant remember what its called now). Bends over 45 degrees and returns true, no warping. Survived the sledgehammer too. Repeatedly. The runner up was the Fallkniven A1, but now there is an A1Pro, 6.5mm thick! While I like these knives, I tend to favour knives like your Glock because they are 'strong enough', without being too heavy to lug around like the aforementioned. The slimmer a knife is the better it cuts too, which is the purpose of a knife really;)

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I am really into knives. There is a guy on You Tube called "Nos's Knife Destruction Tests". A big bloke in a welding-apron wearing a hockey mask who tests knives and hatchets to destruction. While I know I will probably never use a knife to these extremes, I do like knowing basically what a knife is capable of, just in case.

Just for trivia, the strongest knife he ever tested was the Scrap Yard Scrapper- a derivative from Bussee Knives I think, using the Battle Mistress Steel (cant remember what its called now). Bends over 45 degrees and returns true, no warping. Survived the sledgehammer too. Repeatedly. The runner up was the Fallkniven A1, but now there is an A1Pro, 6.5mm thick! While I like these knives, I tend to favour knives like your Glock because they are 'strong enough', without being too heavy to lug around like the aforementioned. The slimmer a knife is the better it cuts too, which is the purpose of a knife really;)
Wise words :) I watched this custom knife maker talking about how mass made knives can vary greatly by batches during heat treat and other manufacturing steps. I've certainly found some weird bevels. Toward the end of the video he said most people won't find any weakness in their knives because they don't really use them anyway :ROFLMAO:. I believe this is mostly true - we're over knifed. I like small knives that generally get used every day, but usually for small jobs. After saying that, I do have a drawer full of knives.

Last edited:

Kindlling

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score

I was trying to think of a rediculously
Bending knifes name id seen when you said that, that springs back to shape . It was called the swamp rat. Which turns out is a company branch of Busse too when I looked.

i don't need one to jimmy railway lines from their sleepers so I'll save a few bucks there.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I was trying to think of a rediculously
Bending knifes name id seen when you said that, that springs back to shape . It was called the swamp rat. Which turns out is a company branch of Busse too when I looked.

i don't need one to jimmy railway lines from their sleepers so I'll save a few bucks there.

Thanks. I've heard of the Swamp Rat. I also heard the price!

I once brought what I thought was my ultimate knife. I waited 38 years to finally buy it. It was a Fallkniven Idun NL5cx (cowry x super steel- said to be the worlds best knife steel). It's a $3000 knife now! Let just say I was devastated when the knife turned up & they wouldn't cover the warranty.

I managed to sell it and get my money back at least & I said too myself, 'never again...' :)

I nearly brought that flock knife not long ago. Now I saw yours I want one again, but with a black or O.D. handle!

Last edited:

Kindlling

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Thanks. I've heard of the Swamp Rat. I also heard the price!

I once brought what I thought was my ultimate knife. I waited 38 years to finally buy it. It was a Fallkniven Idun NL5cx (cowry x super steel- said to be the worlds best knife steel). It's a $3000 knife now! Let just say I was devastated when the knife turned up & they wouldn't cover the warranty.

I managed to sell it and get my money back at least & I said too myself, 'never again...' :)

I nearly brought that flock knife not long ago. Now I saw yours I want one again, but with a black or O.D. handle!

Holy guacamole! 3000$ , I'd be thinking ancient artifacts or a old samurai sword from a good maker for that price :)

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Holy guacamole! 3000$ , I'd be thinking ancient artifacts or a old samurai sword from a good maker for that price :)

My Fallkniven NL5cx during the pics I took to sell it. The blade was incredible, 120 layers of VG10 steel over the exotic cowry x steel core, shame they ruined the pommel so I couldn't adjust it if the ox-leather handle shrank. All they care about is money, not customers. Never again for me.

And the grail-knife I kept to replace it Fallkniven Jarll SK1se;)

Last edited:

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score

Hi Kindlling,

Oh no, I have a feeling this is going to turn into another knife thread!:)

These are my new field knives. They are in the realm of your Glock, but a bit cheaper I think. Many Finnish soldiers buy these as fighting knives, but they are not official issue. I got them from Varustaleka in Finland. They are carbon blades, Scandi grind, rat tail tang. Handle gives excellent grip. They come with an awesome retention leather sheath. Great bush-craft knives, and proof you don't need to spend the earth to get a descent knife(y) On isolated solo camps I plan to take the big one!;)

110mm and 140mm Tereva Puukko

Last edited:

Kindlling

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I've been looking at the sami knives too and I really like the simple designs and working knives of native people.

I even bought a piece of steel with a wooden handle I plan to repurpose into an ulu knife like the Inuits use.

Being over seas and seeing how simple items and ways of doing things are completely unique to places I always find really interesting.