What gear are you carrying today (pics)

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
That wool looks warm . Is the strapping real leather ?

No. I though it would be. Its a tough rubber I think. Inside is really soft wool, kinda nice! They are still a top quality item though. But they are my first gators in years so I cant really rate them personally. I just heard from a few stores they are tough, waterproof and are meant to be the best, so they should suit me fine.

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Are you saying you have used them where there are thorns and they held up??
No, I am just saying I've never had a thorn in them.
But they have been through some gnarly stuff - parrot bush and other prickly Waussie scrub.

The leather straps were bonded, not full leather and split. I think I threw them away.

I did like the design, though. The side zip is less fiddly than the velcro join I have on my OR's.

Last edited:

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
No, I am just saying I've never had a thorn in them.
But they have been through some gnarly stuff - parrot bush and other prickly Waussie scrub.

The leather straps were boned, not full leather and split. I think I threw them away.

I did like the design, though. The side zip is less fiddly than the velcro join I have on my OR's.

They look like a pretty high quality piece of kit to me, especially being wool. But what do I know. I think the straps are not leather for a reason, as they are on the bottom of your shoe and always get wet, especially in Europe where they are from. The strap does look a bit flimsy though.

At least 2 well known surplus stores told me they were the best gators you can buy, probably worth a small fortune non-surplus. They seem extremely popular too, I'd been looking for them for 1 year and got the last large pair, which I found by accident in Australia.

Great to hear they did the job at least. I have some small bushes here that make me laugh. I call them 'steel Bonzai trees'. They are about 1- 0.5 feet tall. Well I kicked one oneday being a smart arse, and it only sliced my calf open. I ended up in hospital for a week with a staff infection/ could have lost my leg, anti-biotics were not responding. I'd send you a picture, but you will probably throw up. Now you see why I want good gaiters.

You threw them away?? Did you think of added another strap. Are OR's' better, what are they?

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/swiss-gaiters-grey-surplus/57644

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
You threw them away?? Did you think of added another strap. Are OR's' better, what are they?
I think I did. I have w-a-y too much gear. Could've gone into the too hard basket.
Outdoor REserach jobs were the right price on (Mass)drop. Some sort of other synthetic material. Holding up so far.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Gransfors Bruk Wildlife Hatchet(y)

I had the GB Wildlife hatchet, excellent axe, typical GB quality, I will say though I prefer the Small Forest axes size and thus sold my Wildlife hatchet off and stuck with Small Forest axe.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I had the GB Wildlife hatchet, excellent axe, typical GB quality, I will say though I prefer the Small Forest axes size and thus sold my Wildlife hatchet off and stuck with Small Forest axe.

Great to hear. I agree on the Small Forrest Axe. When I was looking I wasn't really aware of its potential- It can build a log cabin apparently. I just heard it fits my new pack perfectly. The Small Forrest Axe is my next Axe(y) Might have to do what you did and consider selling the Wildlife Hatchet, but the Wildlife hatchet is good for concealment though, like in a haversack;) I am into knives like you. I have taken the Wildlife hatchet to harvest (dead) wood for knife handles in the bush. As I had to walk through town, no one saw it. You know how it is these days..

Last edited:

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
My 1988 Swedish Army LK35 Expedition Pack turned up today from Sweden:love:

Unboxing this classic pack.

The seller was very courteous. He wrapped it in plastic, foam, foam pellets and air-sacks with foam blocks! And even he gave me a spare sack, free in case the pack was damaged beyond repair! I never get this lucky. What a top bloke...

Here she is. Ahhh... Cant wait to get out, brave the winter and use this thing!

Last edited:

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
My 1988 Swedish Army LK35 Expedition Pack turned up today from Sweden:love:

Unboxing this classic pack.

The seller was very courteous. He wrapped it in plastic, foam, foam pellets and air-sacks with foam blocks! And even he gave me a spare sack, free in case the pack was damaged beyond repair! I never get this lucky. What a top bloke...

Here she is. Ahhh... Cant wait to get out, brave the winter and use this thing!
look'in forward to updates on what you think of the pack . I did shop around for a 35 'but couldn't get a decent price .

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
look'in forward to updates on what you think of the pack . I did shop around for a 35 'but couldn't get a decent price .

Will do ;) I get it. But from what I have read online, I don't think these are available anymore 'cheap' like they use to be. They are simply too sought after and supplies are dwindling. This and the fact that my pack is my second most important item to my knife justified the purchase. I simply wasn't prepared to live with the fact that these packs were gone and i missed out, like has happened to me in the past with high stakes military surplus. Sure the purchase hurt, but I would rather spend $200AUD (o/s delivery included) on a pack like this than something I cant trust. Buy once type thing. No regrets.

I filled the pack out last night and had a play . I am totally in love with this pack. I am a pretty big guy and it is really comfortable on me. Mind you I am use to cheap, frame-less packs. The pack is bigger than I imagined it to be. No wonder they call it the 'trardis':LOL: Here it is (see pics) with the Australian Army winter sleeping bag stuffed inside the bottom, large Australian Army utility pouch, British Army mess kit (in USGI ammunition pouch), German Army dopp kit bag (used as my cooking kit). The flap still has lots of deliberate room for stuffing things in the top. The pack is impregnated and fully water resistant. They thought of everything with this pack(y)

If you change your mind, I know Military First has them in Grade 2 condition, or I can hook you up with Lars, in Sweden who sold me mine, new. Just PM me.

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Will do ;) I get it. But from what I have read online, I don't think these are available anymore 'cheap' like they use to be. They are simply too sought after and supplies are dwindling. This and the fact that my pack is my second most important item to my knife justified the purchase. I simply wasn't prepared to live with the fact that these packs were gone and i missed out, like has happened to me in the past with high stakes military surplus. Sure the purchase hurt, but I would rather spend $200AUD (o/s delivery included) on a pack like this than something I cant trust. Buy once type thing. No regrets.

I filled the pack out last night and had a play . I am totally in love with this pack. I am a pretty big guy and it is really comfortable on me. Mind you I am use to cheap, frame-less packs. The pack is bigger than I imagined it to be. No wonder they call it the 'trardis':LOL: Here it is (see pics) with the Australian Army winter sleeping bag stuffed inside the bottom, large Australian Army utility pouch, British Army mess kit (in USGI ammunition pouch), German Army dopp kit bag (used as my cooking kit). The flap still has lots of deliberate room for stuffing things in the top. The pack is impregnated and fully water resistant. They thought of everything with this pack(y)

If you change your mind, I know Military First has them in Grade 2 condition, or I can hook you up with Lars, in Sweden who sold me mine, new. Just PM me.

Thanks for all the info . I ended up buying the rush 24 for overnight and the rush 12 for day , which I use all the time . But I'll still keep an eye out .

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Great to hear. I agree on the Small Forrest Axe. When I was looking I wasn't really aware of its potential- It can build a log cabin apparently. I just heard it fits my new pack perfectly. The Small Forrest Axe is my next Axe(y) Might have to do what you did and consider selling the Wildlife Hatchet, but the Wildlife hatchet is good for concealment though, like in a haversack;) I am into knives like you. I have taken the Wildlife hatchet to harvest (dead) wood for knife handles in the bush. As I had to walk through town, no one saw it. You know how it is these days..
the Wildlife hatchet is perfect for those that are looking to save a few ounces and are concerned about being able to fit it in a haversack (like you mentioned) but still want a reasonably capable hatchet.
The Small Forest axe is simply a bit bigger, but that slight increase in size makes it a far more capable axe, they are IMHO close to being the perfect sized axe that is still reasonably easy to belt carry (or more preferably attached to your pack)