What gear are you carrying today (pics)

odgens

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Hi Edward, thanks for your very detailed reply! I think you’re right, for the price of them ATM you just can’t justify not picking up one lol I’ve had my eye on them for some time after seeing some really good reviews online, seem like a very strong no frills sort of blade and would be good in a Go bag or alike.

Carbon doesn’t really worry me, I’ve been running Esee blades since 2006 and never had an issue with rust….just comes down to maintenance of your equipment and proper knife care :) Worst case I could hit the lanyard ring with some cerakote if it becomes a problem

Funny you mention the Garberg, id picked up one of these and saw the DBK review for the Tereva not long afterwards. It’s a fantastic little knife, razor sharp out of the box and my go to hiking/backup blade when in the bush

I’m thinking I’ll go for the 110mm blade but may grab both, see how the finances are looking when I place the order. I’m moving back towards smaller bladed knives after carrying an Esee 6 for years, finding the smaller ones a little more handy and I usually carry an axe these days if I’m going to prep firewood.

Thanks again for your reply, appreciate the info and time you put into it!

No worries. I actually haven't used them yet, but I will be soon and will post feedback. I am waiting on some camo nets, then heading out. Reviews say they are excellent. That alone and the price should justify a purchase, seriously. I wouldn't say this about most knives, but based the overwhelming amount of positive support of the Tereva and my own knife experiences, I believe this is one of those rare cases where I think its an exception. These seem to be excellent knives, and I wouldn't wait I would buy the one you want, fast! I have a feeling they wont remain at this price, nothing this popular ever does. They are also hard to come buy 'with' the leather sheath as well. That's the problem I had.

But remember they are carbon steel blades, so you have to keep them oiled. One reviewer on YouTube told me the only negative with the Terava was the lanyard ring started rusting on him, but he's probably not in Australia. But realistically and IMO, I don't think there really is anything not to like about these knives, and I have had a lot of knives! They are a general purpose bush craft knife with a Scandi grind and a decently thick, without being ridiculously thick, blade stock (4mm from memory). The design is very ergonomic and they would be a great work knife, again as reviews support. The handle is to die for. Few handles are as easy to work with, yet also have fighting knife type grip- this one does. I knew it would and was looking for a knifed like this for years, so when I heard these were full tang I jumped on them. Now to model choice: I notice the weight with the 140mm. It is a heavier knife than the 110. The thing I also noticed however, is that like with my Fallkniven A1, Gerber LMF I and II and other big knives I've had, the narrower blade belly and more modest blade stock thickness makes the 140's weight more practical and more manageable than other larger use knives. So you are getting an adequately strong and tough knife that is still practical and still a descent performer. This is not usually case with bigger, heavier and thicker knives, IMO.

My journey leading to the Tereva: To prove to you I swear by the design of the Tereva, in 2012 I brought 2 similar knives called Callum Puukko Utility (see pic below). Similar to a Mora design, but same handle design as the Tereva, but with what I loved a 2.5mm blade stock for slicing (same as Mora Companion). One day I had to cut an air conditioner out of a caravan window, instead of using my expensive knives I used a callum puukko. Well the silicon around the a/c pulled the blade right out of the handle, and nearly my wrist out of its socket. I am positive if it had been a Mora the same would have happened. Obviously this was extreme use, but at the time I didn't think it was. I wont ever try that again, not so much for the knifes sake but my hands.. Anyway, my point is this demonstrated the sheer grip of this handles design on what is meant to be a work knife! This failure wouldn't happen to a Tereva Puukko.

I also had the Mora Garberg. I loved that knife. I was short on Xmas presents last year and gave it to someone. I almost regret it. You could consider one of these too. It is laminated 3.2mm- a sweet spot for adequate strength and performance if you ask me. Unlike the Tereva though its not cheap. I tested the Garberg and it held up very well on some of the toughest woods I've come across- mallee. The Tereva has to be tougher and from what I've read, as its carbon. DBK don't call it the Mora Garberg Killer for nothing!:oops:

Which one are you thinking of getting, the 100 or the 140? I love and have plenty of knives the size of the 110, but I wanted a bigger one for bush security, so I went for the 140, and the 100 as you know ! On my next adventure I am taking the 140. I also considered the San Mai II Cold Steel SRK (Navy seals ops knife) and Fallkniven A1(Pro), but I went the Tereva 140. Notice their handles are also very user friendly, but not is the same league as the Tereva Puukko, IMO. The Tereva Puukko handle reminds me of a Randall border patrol design- $1000 knife!

My last remaining Callum Puukko, handle similar to Terava Puukko. I had high hopes for the knife, but they weren't fulfilled.

My Mora Garberg (gifted)

Mora Garberg hard-tested in malee country SA, winter 2018

Tereva Puukko 110mm

Tereva 110 showing tang with handle removed

Now Mora Garberg with handle removed (center). No where near as strong as old school heavy duty Tereva design! :cool:

odgens

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Went for a day walk today as I had a day off yay!!
Took my usual Firebox Nano with my new Trangia gas burner which fits neatly inside for a quick brew while still giving me the option of using twigs or solid fuel.
I think it covers all bases for me for cooking or a quick brew and is much more stable than many small gas burners.
View attachment 26196
Awesome idea, might pinch this one! My poor old trangia has been shelved for years (older AL/Stainless steel model...robust but very heavy) and i never really got to play around with the gas burner i bought for it

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Hi Edward, thanks for your very detailed reply! I think you’re right, for the price of them ATM you just can’t justify not picking up one lol I’ve had my eye on them for some time after seeing some really good reviews online, seem like a very strong no frills sort of blade and would be good in a Go bag or alike.

Carbon doesn’t really worry me, I’ve been running Esee blades since 2006 and never had an issue with rust….just comes down to maintenance of your equipment and proper knife care :) Worst case I could hit the lanyard ring with some cerakote if it becomes a problem

Funny you mention the Garberg, id picked up one of these and saw the DBK review for the Tereva not long afterwards. It’s a fantastic little knife, razor sharp out of the box and my go to hiking/backup blade when in the bush

I’m thinking I’ll go for the 110mm blade but may grab both, see how the finances are looking when I place the order. I’m moving back towards smaller bladed knives after carrying an Esee 6 for years, finding the smaller ones a little more handy and I usually carry an axe these days if I’m going to prep firewood.

Thanks again for your reply, appreciate the info and time you put into it!

No worries, mate. They were just my thoughts on the knife. As mentioned I had been looking for a strong Puukko style knife for quite some time. I hope you get what you're after and look forward to seeing a pic when you do;)

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
These beautifully made German and Swedish Army surplus leather utility straps turned up today from Britain today. I treated them with leather feeder.

German Army black leather roller buckle straps securing my mess and cook kits

Green leather, roller buckle Swedish Army pack straps and Swiss Army dry bag, containing Australian Army winter sleeping bag & tarps, for securing to German Army Mountain Rucksack.

Also picked up some current issue British Army nylon straps

Last edited:

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Shopping and running errands with the Russian Army Veshmeshok Backpack today.

I nourished the leather supports on the bag today (and my spare). Normally do it once every 6-12 months. Hoping for some wet winter camping with the bag soon.

This bag is completely waterproof, after I heavily waxed it with US Otter Wax over a year ago.

The bag almost looks plastic, but it is the light from the camera reflecting off the wax.

Last edited:

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Gayle Bradley 1 folder, laminated G10 & Carbon Fibre scales, with M4 tool steel. A knife built for work, not show. The fit and finish is flawless & the lock up is extraordinary(y) To put that into perspective, I chose this over a CRK Subenza 21, no regrets.

One of the best knife reviewers in the world reviewed this knife and called it his favourite folder!

barra650

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Gayle Bradley 1 folder, laminated G10 & Carbon Fibre scales, with M4 tool steel. A knife built for work, not show. The fit and finish is flawless & the lock up is extraordinary(y) To put that into perspective, I chose this over a CRK Subenza 21, no regrets.

I bet that baby hasn't left your hand for awhile .

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score

I bet that baby hasn't left your hand for awhile .

Thanks. You would think so hey, but to be honest I find myself using more cheaper & simpler knives, like my SAK around the house and a Shelham Army Clasp knife when I go camping. The Gayle Bradley is quite a thick handled/large knife with only one use - cutting, while the others have many uses, if you know what I mean;)

Here is my favourite. Except in winter its freezing to use without gloves! What do you like to use/carry?

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Is the Garberg your go to belt knife ? If I lost my Helle Alden I reckon I'd give the Garberg a run .

The Helle Elden is a fine knife. Have you had it long? How thick is the blade stock?

I don't really know what you mean by 'go to', but..

If on expeditions I take the Tereva Puukko 140
If on shorter trips in the bush the Tereva 110 or 140
If in national parks where there are people or possibility of them the Mora Garberg, and
If on a special occasion or hunting with friends I like to impress with the Fallkniven SK1se
Tools should fit the occasion, and a man has to think of his image, yes:cool::LOL:

This is my favourite, if that's what you mean, but too good for rough work, but the Terava 110 is the one I take the most ;)

Last edited:

barra650

Les Stroud
Reaction score
The Helle Elden is a fine knife. Have you had it long? How thick is the blade stock?

I don't really know what you mean by 'go to', but..

If on expeditions I take the Tereva Puukko 140
If on shorter trips in the bush the Tereva 110 or 140
If in national parks where there are people or possibility of them the Mora Garberg, and
If on a special occasion or hunting with friends I like to impress with the Fallkniven SK1se
Tools should fit the occasion, and a man has to think of his image, yes:cool::LOL:

This is my favourite, if that's what you mean, but too good for rough work, but the Terava 110 is the one I take the most ;)

I think the Alden is 3.2mm thick , about the same as the Garberg . As for your " go to knife " I meant just a blade that does the job and feels comfortable . As you say it all depends on the trip you undertaking . That's a fancy pair of boots you have there . The blade looks rather fancy as well.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I think the Alden is 3.2mm thick , about the same as the Garberg . As for your " go to knife " I meant just a blade that does the job and feels comfortable . As you say it all depends on the trip you undertaking . That's a fancy pair of boots you have there . The blade looks rather fancy as well.

I love that thickness. Its one of the best compromises for strength and performance, IMO. Yes Garberg is exactly the same 3.2mm thick(y) I gave my brother my Garberg for his birthday. Now every-time I talk Garberg I get birthday present remorse:rolleyes: Is you're Helle a full stick tang? nice knife..

barra650

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I love that thickness. Its one of the best compromises for strength and performance, IMO. Yes Garberg is exactly the same 3.2mm thick(y) I gave my brother my Garberg for his birthday. Now every-time I talk Garberg I get birthday present remorse:rolleyes: Is you're Helle a full stick tang? nice knife..
Yep , full stick tang .