What gear are you carrying today (pics)

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I've been looking at the sami knives too and I really like the simple designs and working knives of native people.

I even bought a piece of steel with a wooden handle I plan to repurpose into an ulu knife like the Inuits use.

Being over seas and seeing how simple items and ways of doing things are completely unique to places I always find really interesting.
That's funny. I've been looking at ulu's just today. I kind of arrived there after considering a good knife design for food prep while camping. There are quite a few for sale mass produced for kitchen use. Something else I like the look of but similar in concept is like a muk type skinner. I'll probably get this, or something like it.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Spent the after noon in the Outback today. Here are some shots of the gear I took & some scenery. Its incredible how hot it was out here last summer compared to how cool it is now.

Heading in. We had descent rain the night before, but the track was better than I expected.

USGI Canteen, first aid kit, stainless steel Klean Canteen 850ml and British Army Mess Kit

German Army Mountain Rucksack with GORUCK carbiner and mess surplus. I noticed both the USGI and German backpack greens work well out here, but the German packs O.D. is excellent, blending in with ground cover and scrub alike. Its like the more it fades, the better it blends in with both the desert trees and the ground cover, while the USGI surplus works best in the shade, like amongst trees, but it still doesn't stand out in the sun amongst the scrub.

I heard one car in 5 hours about 300m from where I was on a track leading to the middle of nowhere, even more isolated than the track I took to get here! This picture shows the direction I heard the car go past, heading from right to left and toward civilisation. It shows there are people out here who know these isolated tracks like the backs of their hands!

Coffee in USGI stainless steel mug

A great secluded spot off an abandoned track sheltered from the strong winds. This desert country is deceiving. It can look bare, but it isn't. It is dry and it isn't. It looks and can be inhospitable, but if you know what you're doing it isn't!

Southerly views from the campsite.

North from campsite, a storm moves in over an active animal track. I wished I could stay and test my gear in the rain, but things to do tomorrow

Heading home

Last edited:

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I'll post it here because of the recent ulu related conversation. I just ordered a boker plus sanyougo :D

odgens

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Hi Kindlling,

Oh no, I have a feeling this is going to turn into another knife thread!:)

These are my new field knives. They are in the realm of your Glock, but a bit cheaper I think. Many Finnish soldiers buy these as fighting knives, but they are not official issue. I got them from Varustaleka in Finland. They are carbon blades, Scandi grind, rat tail tang. Handle gives excellent grip. They come with an awesome retention leather sheath. Great bush-craft knives, and proof you don't need to spend the earth to get a descent knife(y) On isolated solo camps I plan to take the big one!;)

110mm and 140mm Tereva Puukko

Sorry to drag this back up but how are you finding the Puukkos? Varustaleka are offering some cheaper shipping now and my finger is hovering over the "buy button"

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Is it a neck knife? Interesting shape
Weight2.46 oz (70 g)
Thickness0.07″ (2.0 mm)
Blade Length3.3″ (84 mm)
Blade FinishSatin
StyleSheepsfoot
GrindFlat
HandleMicarta
ClipSheath
ColourBlack
Steel/MaterialSandvik 12C27
Overall5.6″ (142 mm)

It's a high flat grind knife with no shoulders. It is only 2mm thick. It's going to slice through stuff easily. It is a purpose made food prep knife. Most knives if you're cutting on a flat surface, it's hard to get much of the blade into the work. This is because your hand gets in the way. So you end up cutting near the edge of the bench. This one is for travel, camping etc. It's fairly small and thin so I'll set it up with a clip on the sheath for horizontal carry. With a clip I can wear it on shorts waistband (at the front under shirt), or belt. I only ever have one knife, so this will be for everything including food prep while travelling etc. I also think it will make a great skinning knife for flaying larger animals like goat, deer, pigs etc (using a two knife setup). I've played around with a neck knife - you really do want light weight if you're reasonably active.

odgens

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Weight2.46 oz (70 g)
Thickness0.07″ (2.0 mm)
Blade Length3.3″ (84 mm)
Blade FinishSatin
StyleSheepsfoot
GrindFlat
HandleMicarta
ClipSheath
ColourBlack
Steel/MaterialSandvik 12C27
Overall5.6″ (142 mm)

It's a high flat grind knife with no shoulders. It is only 2mm thick. It's going to slice through stuff easily. It is a purpose made food prep knife. Most knives if you're cutting on a flat surface, it's hard to get much of the blade into the work. This is because your hand gets in the way. So you end up cutting near the edge of the bench. This one is for travel, camping etc. It's fairly small and thin so I'll set it up with a clip on the sheath for horizontal carry. With a clip I can wear it on shorts waistband (at the front under shirt), or belt. I only ever have one knife, so this will be for everything including food prep while travelling etc. I also think it will make a great skinning knife for flaying larger animals like goat, deer, pigs etc (using a two knife setup). I've played around with a neck knife - you really do want light weight if you're reasonably active.
Sounds like a sweet little blade and would be awesome for food prep, skinning game and finer work....Interested to hear your thoughts once you've had some time with it!

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Sorry to drag this back up but how are you finding the Puukkos? Varustaleka are offering some cheaper shipping now and my finger is hovering over the "buy button"

No worries. I actually haven't used them yet, but I will be soon and will post feedback. I am waiting on some camo nets, then heading out. Reviews say they are excellent. That alone and the price should justify a purchase, seriously. I wouldn't say this about most knives, but based the overwhelming amount of positive support of the Tereva and my own knife experiences, I believe this is one of those rare cases where I think its an exception. These seem to be excellent knives, and I wouldn't wait I would buy the one you want, fast! I have a feeling they wont remain at this price, nothing this popular ever does. They are also hard to come buy 'with' the leather sheath as well. That's the problem I had.

But remember they are carbon steel blades, so you have to keep them oiled. One reviewer on YouTube told me the only negative with the Terava was the lanyard ring started rusting on him, but he's probably not in Australia. But realistically and IMO, I don't think there really is anything not to like about these knives, and I have had a lot of knives! They are a general purpose bush craft knife with a Scandi grind and a decently thick, without being ridiculously thick, blade stock (4mm from memory). The design is very ergonomic and they would be a great work knife, again as reviews support. The handle is to die for. Few handles are as easy to work with, yet also have fighting knife type grip- this one does. I knew it would and was looking for a knifed like this for years, so when I heard these were full tang I jumped on them. Now to model choice: I notice the weight with the 140mm. It is a heavier knife than the 110. The thing I also noticed however, is that like with my Fallkniven A1, Gerber LMF I and II and other big knives I've had, the narrower blade belly and more modest blade stock thickness makes the 140's weight more practical and more manageable than other larger use knives. So you are getting an adequately strong and tough knife that is still practical and still a descent performer. This is not usually case with bigger, heavier and thicker knives, IMO.

My journey leading to the Tereva: To prove to you I swear by the design of the Tereva, in 2012 I brought 2 similar knives called Callum Puukko Utility (see pic below). Similar to a Mora design, but same handle design as the Tereva, but with what I loved a 2.5mm blade stock for slicing (same as Mora Companion). One day I had to cut an air conditioner out of a caravan window, instead of using my expensive knives I used a callum puukko. Well the silicon around the a/c pulled the blade right out of the handle, and nearly my wrist out of its socket. I am positive if it had been a Mora the same would have happened. Obviously this was extreme use, but at the time I didn't think it was. I wont ever try that again, not so much for the knifes sake but my hands.. Anyway, my point is this demonstrated the sheer grip of this handles design on what is meant to be a work knife! This failure wouldn't happen to a Tereva Puukko.

I also had the Mora Garberg. I loved that knife. I was short on Xmas presents last year and gave it to someone. I almost regret it. You could consider one of these too. It is laminated 3.2mm- a sweet spot for adequate strength and performance if you ask me. Unlike the Tereva though its not cheap. I tested the Garberg and it held up very well on some of the toughest woods I've come across- mallee. The Tereva has to be tougher and from what I've read, as its carbon. DBK don't call it the Mora Garberg Killer for nothing!:oops:

Which one are you thinking of getting, the 100 or the 140? I love and have plenty of knives the size of the 110, but I wanted a bigger one for bush security, so I went for the 140, and the 100 as you know ! On my next adventure I am taking the 140. I also considered the San Mai II Cold Steel SRK (Navy seals ops knife) and Fallkniven A1(Pro), but I went the Tereva 140. Notice their handles are also very user friendly, but not is the same league as the Tereva Puukko, IMO. The Tereva Puukko handle reminds me of a Randall border patrol design- $1000 knife!

My last remaining Callum Puukko, handle similar to Terava Puukko. I had high hopes for the knife, but they weren't fulfilled.

My Mora Garberg (gifted)

Mora Garberg hard-tested in malee country SA, winter 2018

Tereva Puukko 110mm

Tereva 110 showing tang with handle removed

Now Mora Garberg with handle removed (center). No where near as strong as old school heavy duty Tereva design! :cool:

Last edited:

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Got given this...
Very good glass
But very poor holster(well made but too small!)

Comon' Thrud... tell the truth, you sure you didn't buy another scope? :LOL:

Shots couldn't have been easy to take. That almost looks like a bi-plane in that last photo:cool:

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
My monocular is a nikon 5x15mm. It's tiny but good to look through. It has a close focus distance of 60cm, which means you can use it like a magnifying glass too. It's dimensions are 71mm Long x 30mm wide and it weighs 75g. I just need a good way of carrying it on my pack harness - the pouch it comes with has no means of attachment. I like to have this readily available wherever I am - I use it everywhere.

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Went for a day walk today as I had a day off yay!!
Took my usual Firebox Nano with my new Trangia gas burner which fits neatly inside for a quick brew while still giving me the option of using twigs or solid fuel.
I think it covers all bases for me for cooking or a quick brew and is much more stable than many small gas burners.

Last edited: