What gear are you carrying today (pics)

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
As a gear lover, I thought I would create a thread for members to post pictures of what gear they are running with on any particular day. As if we needed an excuse:non sono stato io:

I've been doing a gear inventory over the last few days. I want to start testing various equipment this winter. Here is a sneak peak of some of my genuine military & traditional quality bushcraft gear.

Last edited:

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Holy moley!

That is a lot of British army knives!

Thanks! I started collecting them when I was 13 after my Grandfather brought one back from WWII. They are army clasp knives. But actually though only one is the 'British Army Knife' (the bigger one with the two mini pocket knives next to it). But this (particular) one was not issued, if that makes sense, but still made by Sheffield, England. The rest are genuine issued Australian Army Shelham Clasp Knives (made in Japan) and one (far left) is an unused WWII Dutch Army Clasp knife a friend gave me. Cheers, Eddy.

Last edited:

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Holy moley!

That is a lot of British army knives!
Yes, I have an Australian army issue shelham made knife too. It's amazing how many useful things you can do with those spikes. I have a lot of knives now and they're all sharp - but that one, it makes me bleed if I look at it :_sii: It's not hollow ground, but the blade is quite thin near the edge. I've obviously sharpened it on a shallow angle too - the days when I used to use a stone and not give much thought to this angle or that. I think it likes the taste of blood though; it's caught everyone who's touched it by surprise. It always reminded me of the randall knife song "The knife was made for darker things, And you could not bend the rules" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQuq3jQKL4g

Last edited:

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Yes, I have an Australian army issue shelham made knife too. It's amazing how many useful things you can do with those spikes. I have a lot of knives now and they're all sharp - but that one, it makes me bleed if I look at it :_sii: It's not hollow ground, but the blade is quite thin near the edge. I've obviously sharpened it on a shallow angle too - the days when I used to use a stone and not give much thought to this angle or that. I think it likes the taste of blood though; it's caught everyone who's touched it by surprise. It always reminded me of the randall knife song "The knife was made for darker things, And you could not bend the rules" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQuq3jQKL4g

Crikey, that thing sounds like a throat cut razor. I have wanted to invest in an edge pro-sharpener. For now its a bench-stone & a Fallkniven DC4 in the field.

I agree! The Marlin spike has proved to be so handy on these knives! Here's me adjusting my Australian Army mosquito hootchie with one to my Australian Army tarp, while camping out in Mallee country.

I love that Randall Stiletto. Always have. Funny you mention the Randall. I almost brought a Randall Buxton Fighter recently, versatile, sexy (and no permit required), but I couldn't justify it, so I chose 2 Tereva Puukko's instead. One day I guess:non sono stato io:

Randall Buxton Fighter

Last edited:

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
That is a pile of gear, I thought I had to much stuff heaped up in my spare room. :)

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
[video=youtube;PrEwpTjQt18]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrEwpTjQt18&t=4s[/video]

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I love that Randall Stiletto. Always have. Funny you mention the Randall. I almost brought a Randall Buxton Fighter recently, versatile, sexy (and no permit required), but I couldn't justify it, so I chose 2 Tereva Puukko's instead. One day I guess:non sono stato io:
I think the picture of the randall in the youtube video is a copy of the fairbairn sykes commando knife, originally made by Wilikinson Sword for British commandos in WWII. Many armies of other nationalities have copied this to varying degrees. But yes, resembling a poignard, dagger or stilleto. They really are "made for darker things" :_(D): Your puukko's will see more real world use (hopefully :_applauso:) Hah, just eyeballed that evil shelham of mine, it's an '83.

Fairburnsykes_colour4.jpg

Last edited:

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
You beat me to it, MDU. Not a big fan. Then, after bagging you out, I actually needed the hoof cleaner....bugger bugger bugger.
Cheers
Bloffy

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Ive been edcing a Australian Army Shelham clasp knife lately.
Mainly using the blade and the end flat as a screwdriver.
It does tend to wear through my pocket if im not careful.

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I love my clasp knife, mostly because it nearly killed Bloffy when he had to ask to borrow mine to get a knot undone. I still chuckle every time I take it out of my pocket!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
[video=youtube;PrEwpTjQt18]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrEwpTjQt18&t=4s[/video]

What a nice and minimalist field kit you have there. I am enjoying the challenges of putting together more minimalist field gear. I also use wooden spoon (bamboo) - light, long, strong, insulated and natural!

Putting together a cook kit today. IKEA hobo stove turned up & nests with tin Cecil & Co. Billy #1 & inside stainless Zebra 12cm Billy, but I may need to cut some off to get the lid on!

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I think the picture of the randall in the youtube video is a copy of the fairbairn sykes commando knife, originally made by Wilikinson Sword for British commandos in WWII. Many armies of other nationalities have copied this to varying degrees. But yes, resembling a poignard, dagger or stilleto. They really are "made for darker things" :_(D): Your puukko's will see more real world use (hopefully :_applauso:) Hah, just eyeballed that evil shelham of mine, it's an '83.

View attachment 25937

Cool. If you're Shelham is an 83' model I am guessing it has a nicely tappered awl (Marlin Spike). I have found examples from the late 90's/ early 2000's onward tended to be just machined to a point (like my 2001 model in the picture), instead of a beautifully hand ground taper.

Last edited:

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Cool. If you're Shelham is an 83' model I am guessing it has a nicely tappered awl (Marlin Spike). I have found examples from the late 90's/ early 2000's onward tended to be just machined to a point (like my 2001 model in the picture), instead of a beautifully hand ground taper.
Oh, mine was abused in it's previous life. I inherited it. That might be why it's cranky at everyone. The blade near the tip was damaged - I repaired that with the stone. I also had to sharpen the spike - it was a bit rounded off. It still has surface rust here and there - but I keep it oiled. It has the personality of a cantankerous old one eyed limping mangy dog that growls at everyone and will probably bite you if you go to pat it. I keep it in it's own drawer away from the others :triste: Sometimes before going to bed, I lean something heavy against the drawer too. And, oh my, you are a clasp knife nerd:_risata:

Last edited:

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
And while we're on warry things...I bought this new over 46 years ago from an army disposal store. I've only used it for clearing blackberry vines off tracks that I used to ride my bike on, or lopping little branches off bigger branches that I'd dropped with a chain saw. I keep it now for the impending zombie apocalypse - apparently you have to lop their heads off :triste: I'm ever vigilant; I sneak up sometimes on people who act zombie like, but when they look around in surprise, I realise they're not (oops)

machete full.jpgmachete.jpg

Last edited: