BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do today?

WanderOn

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Have not fished down south in the fresh water for a long time , back then we used 'king cobra' lures ,maybe also 'tassie devils ?, Were the similar ones ' or the little silvery or brass spinners with the red wool or feathers on the bottom . That's what worked well and was available back then .
Redfin , yellow belly , perch , trout even .
If they're hungry enough I've even seen a bit of tin foil squished to a lure shape work with a single hook .
Around the obstacles or hiding under the bank can be good , got to be in it to win it . I did like a bit of redfin in the pan dipped in egg then bread crumbs , was good .
Might be a good past time to take up when we hit the road full time.

WanderOn

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Took the kids for a walk by the lake near home and found 2 shelters that were needing a bit more thatching to be water proof. Looked like they had been used with the grass inside flat and the fire pit in front.
Had a great view out over the lake.
Wishing I knew who built them. Might be a good little COVID hideaway.

8F2FEEFD-C80D-4F64-A948-A33E65DDC7D0.jpeg

WanderOn

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Took the kids for a walk by the lake near home and found 2 shelters that were needing a bit more thatching to be water proof. Looked like they had been used with the grass inside flat and the fire pit in front.
Had a great view out over the lake.
Wishing I knew who built them. Might be a good little COVID hideaway.

View attachment 28474
When we get travelling I really want to try making natural shelter with the kids.
Having the fall back of the camper will be good.

Kindliing

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Put the great big canvas tent up to test its waterproof ness , while it’s coming down again .
Rubbing dubbin into the stitching to rejuvenate it and expand it plus plug up any pinholes is the idea .
got one side done before it started coming down again , hoping it works well , as no Inuit waterproof stitching and seal skin here or blubber .

tried spraying litres and litres of shalex canvas cote waterproofing stuff over the entire canvas a while ago , have also tried the wax candle rubbing into the seams .
Now this after someone from an older generation suggested it to try .
If nothing else I get a nice Sealed tin at the end of this to play with .
Which Cant hurt at this stage . D1901EDF-E5F1-4B1F-A9E3-E410C574E18B.jpeg
Edit(well real time testing suggests it’s only leaking from where I haven’t yet done , water beads off the seams , so far good signs )

Last edited:

WanderOn

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Not quite bushcraft but I dug a hole. Finally building a driveway. This is the replacement for my 3 week west NSW trip with the family.

Attachments

• 23B8287C-157F-430A-8E40-3D009F6210B8.jpeg
    23B8287C-157F-430A-8E40-3D009F6210B8.jpeg
    324.9 KB · Views: 3

Kindliing

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Not quite bushcraft either here , (will help later though) , rainy day , bought a kids push bike from the op shop for 5$ that has nice fat wheels to make a cart from .

one kids trash is another kids treasure .

didn’t have a welder , so had a cuppa and a look at it , the solution was pretty simple .
Angle grinder and drill ,a piece of gal pipe , couple bolts and tek screws .that’s the hard thinking bit done . Next to add a couple handles to pull it and bolt on a cut down light weight pallet .
Then can use It to cart corrugated iron , supplies /stuff around , launch the Canadian canoe , maybe small Tinnie up and down the bank (just add ratchet strap ) . All sorts of good stuff .
AAC2B0C0-3118-4132-907D-8496A9ABA138.jpeg

Kindliing

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
This is how it ended up bolted on with handles . Can drag it around with 1 hand nice and light , jump in and push the bar and drag it , or push facing it like a wheelbarrow . Can put a rope loop on the towbar of a vehicle and bring it too . If it has long sheets of iron on it can add a rope handle to extend it .
It’s about 610 mm high , if you wanted higher you’d be best going with bigger mountain bike tyres .D518F455-30D7-4B25-B592-B7404B8C557E.jpegremember to wear gloves while using the sanding flappy disc on the angle grinder kids , unless you want to see what the inside of your knuckles looks like , and also chrome don’t get ya home .82E782E8-70D6-4C1A-BAEF-C84E3A9F8EAB.jpegthe silver colored struts and the silver colored saddles holding the pipe down are simply old tent pole that was laying around .
Really malleable just a bit of massaging with a hammer .

the whole thing now feels really sturdy . Pretty much end of welderless hand cart rant , except could replace some tek screws with bolts further down the track if need be .
As the holes are already there if you have a good bolt collection handy .

Last edited:

Kindliing

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
0ACD7F86-57B3-49C1-9CC6-4EEED6D68A0B.jpeg
a few days bush in the swag , nice clear warm nights .

some locals .
wingless pterodactyl ? 584C54FD-F9EA-40CB-A5A9-28F27429D938.jpega spider deeply burrowed below the ground.

31626E69-8F40-4A37-A314-E1DC50B3115E.jpegAbout 8 inch centipede that you probably wouldn’t want to thumb wrestle .

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Just purchased a new Hyundai Kayak carrier, the older Subaru carrier has
become too rare now and i fear it will get nicked in remote kayaking location.

Had to invest in new racks of course, soobie ones wont fit :rolleyes:
next will be working out the new loading method, Hobie is only 32ks but at 4 meters and me
being a pip squeak, its a bit unruly especially if its windy.

First new car in 30 years lol, yes the soob is nearly 30 years young.

Soobie and Rocket.jpg

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
its a bit unruly especially if its windy
You really have to tie down the front end of the boat to the front of the car somewhere around the grill / bumper. Not too tight, just enough to stop the wind grabbing it and forcing it to one side or the other, or even lifting it (I've seen that happen). Ideally have the boat upside down so that the upswept front isn't lifted up while driving. From the front roof rack to the end of the boat (at the front) is the length of the lever. It's the same if you come out in the surf - grab the end of the boat, not the sides.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry Randall… Should have explained my self a bit more, unruly only when trying to load and unload on my own. I have had a gust of wind right when I was roof topping, was only once but never want that again lol

I do have bonnet anchors when travelling and I also red flag the over hang at the back … And I like to have my kayak in saddles and up right as the bow has better wind deflection. I have a very high awareness for personal and public safety, as I actually work around and on aircraft 😉 and I KNOW what a leading edge and wind speed does 🤪

cheers Mozz
3C589E78-C069-4532-AE8B-09A9BF7E5CF2.jpeg