What did you do today?

Kindliing

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
C44FACA5-1EC4-4868-A82B-2B2B188D410C.jpeg
A7E4360A-FE5F-4861-9ECA-01BF6715A4F2.jpeg
found this healthy birds eye chili plant growing in the bush .its over 7ft tall.
Went back today and was going to get some chili’s for growing the seeds.
when I got to where the plant was there was a brown colored snake guarding the spot,
It got up and boogied , up off the ground in our direction.
I had a meter or so room to move, so I left without getting the chillis.

F1692EE6-63FC-4273-9DC3-33D567CE74E2.jpeg
this looks like passion fruit vines to me ,no fruit on them I could see. Also extremely healthy.

we have seen quite a few snakes in this place , it’s a very dry area ,which has water holes.

lots of varieties of wild foods growing for seasonal snacks however.

Chigger

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Bad luck in not getting the chili seeds, there are a lot of snakes about this year and a friend actually stepped on a brown snake. It struck at his but luckily he was able to jump back and it missed.

A very close escape.

Kindliing

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Bad luck in not getting the chili seeds, there are a lot of snakes about this year and a friend actually stepped on a brown snake. It struck at his but luckily he was able to jump back and it missed.

A very close escape.
I’ve had a few very close ones too .

Gets the heart pumping.
Think I will get brave enough soon with some near knee high gators on to go grab some chillis .
even make them a regular fixture.
it’s good to not get too comfortable and complacent , risk management.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve had a few very close ones too .

Gets the heart pumping.
Think I will get brave enough soon with some near knee high gators on to go grab some chillis .
even make them a regular fixture.
it’s good to not get too comfortable and complacent , risk management.
[/QUOTE
dang hot weather but can’t say enough about thick long jeans and some good gaiters, really is a snake season this year.

nice score on the chilly plant, guessing bird feasting elsewhere and dropped seeded poo.

same with the passion fruit... bird dropping, check the area for other edibles 😉

Kindliing

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
dang hot weather but can’t say enough about thick long jeans and some good gaiters, really is a snake season this year.

nice score on the chilly plant, guessing bird feasting elsewhere and dropped seeded poo.

same with the passion fruit... bird dropping, check the area for other edibles 😉
I’ve had a good look around and keep discovering more bush foods there .

There is a nice little mango tree growing on the bank of a seasonal creek , sweet little ones .
The mango seeds get dropped all over the place by bats , and when it rains hard for a while I’ve seen them sprout well and growing all over the paddock .

They get washed down creeks which is why we see them when you cross bridges on the road.

There’s also edible figs there ,
-Sandpaper figs.
-cluster figs.
-cockie apples .
-‘native passion fruits’
-spiral pandanus.
-Lilly Pillies.
-edible hibiscus .

Off the top of my head , still slim pickings and you’d want to be a nomad passing through as the aboriginals were at the water hole.

Have seen wild pigs , Goanna , and snakes if you were really keen .
Plus freshwater crabs .
There would be more in the creek although I’m not sure .

That’s what I’m into looking for food so I’m always trying to learn something new , even if it’s to add some flavors.

We have to be careful of some figs up here causing skin conditions ,

There one called septic fig there which is as the name suggests .

Plants can be pretty powerful things , for good health too.

Last edited:

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Have been taking the new puppy out - he loves the steep stuff. If you watch his bum, it's slipping down the rock; it is steeper than it looks. One of my nearby bike trails

Kindliing

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I would have thought a wasp sting would kill a gecko, maybe he has immunity..
Have you see him get stung?
No kiwi haven’t seen that happen , I only see the gecko watching the hive at night and have wondered the same myself .

I have left this nest as I haven’t been attacked by these ones (fingers crossed).

The other little yellowy paper wasps got me on the lip a while ago and I reckon I looked a bit like Moe from the simpsons afterwards.

I decided to put the hose on them then , and learned the hard way that was a very bad idea as they then swarm attacked me and the dog .
Quite unpleasant that .

Chigger

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Leave the hose aside and buy a can of WD40 the one with the long swing up nozzle.

In the late evening all the wasps will settle on the nest so sneak up on them and give them a good spray.

The wasps will drop to the ground.

WD40 is basically kerosene which many insects cannot tolerate.

I have destroyed a number of wasp nests with this way.

Last edited:

Kiwisailor

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Leave the hose aside and buy a can of WD40 the one with the long swing up nozzle.

In the late evening all the wasps will settle on the nest so sneak up on them and give them a good spray.

The wasps will drop to the ground.

WD40 is basically kerosene which many insects cannot tolerate.

I have destroyed a number of wasp nests with this way.
I concur, wd40 works well, with good range.
Quite spectacular if a cigarette lighter is used under nozzle ( don't tell Wave man).
Not a good idea this time of year...

We have poured petrol down underground HUGE colonies at night, then covered ingress hole with soil/sand.
Fumes will kill the colony.
Arguably more environmentally friendly than the powder used by professionals.
Some of the colonies here can the size of a car.
I've taken this on advice, too chicken shit to put my head in to check....

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Having got a net making needle as a Christmas present, thought, now the fog of alcohol has somewhat cleared, to take it for a test drive. Watched a YouTube video and then gave it a whirl. Using bank line and a plastic divider from a tool box as the sizing card. This stage took me about an hour.
Quite relaxing and once you get into the routine, quite quick. Bank line tends to slice into the plastic card sizer and I think a piece of metal might be a much better idea.

Attachments

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Having got a net making needle as a Christmas present, thought, now the fog of alcohol has somewhat cleared, to take it for a test drive. Watched a YouTube video and then gave it a whirl. Using bank line and a plastic divider from a tool box as the sizing card. This stage took me about an hour.
Quite relaxing and once you get into the routine, quite quick. Bank line tends to slice into the plastic card sizer and I think a piece of metal might be a much better idea.
Can you do me a set of fishnets? I'm a Euro 45. :sneaky:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
There was a terrible tragedy recently, my coffee machine stopped working. So today I made a metho stove to use until I can get the machine fixed.

Works quite nicely too. I just have to be careful not to melt the handle on the coffee pot...
Nice work.
A bit of foil on the handle will help protect it from the heat

Chigger

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Spent much of this afternoon trimming up a couple of walking sticks. No great artisan epic, just fooling around with knives.

Removing much of the bark

Removing bark.JPG

Sawing off burls with the ever handy SAK

Sawing burl.JPG

Finishing off the burls

Triming burls.JPG

With a large piece of flint scraped the wood smooth

Flint scraper.JPG

The finished walking sticks

IMG_6345_1.JPG

All in all, a pleasant afternoon spent fooling around with knives.