What did you do today?

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I'll try the socks.
Nothing smashed yet, but I need to take it outside...

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Wow. Noice!! During the Spanish Civil War, shepherd slings (staves?) were used very effectively against German soldiers. Shepherds would sling hand grenades up to 400m to devastating effect.
Apparently, in ancient warfare, slingers were often used to provide flanking fire on approaching armies, in combination with archers.
Arrows were expensive to make and skilled archers were a valued asset.
Slingers were more common, took less training and rocks were plentiful. While they probably wouldn't kill armoured soldiers, having several hundred cricket balls flung at you would certainly have been distracting, at the least.
I made a simple sling a few years and spent a few days flinging rocks around. It is amazing how quick you can gain accuracy.
Final interesting fact (damn, I am starting to sound like Sheldon from Big Bang), apparently the best missile for accuracy and distance is shaped like two cones joined at their widest part.

Roman-cast-bullets-298x300.jpg

Cheers
Bloffy

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I can see a massive sling-fest coming up on the meet later this month....

I will try outside today and see if it releases the tennis ball for long distance. I used just under 4m of paracord for the weave and the first one I made by eyeballing a tennis ball, I made the basket length too big and only realised when I was about to run out of cord.

Thanks for the sling info Bloffy

Captain’s log Supplemental:

Went out with the dog, can get about 50-60m with little practice. I will need to broaden the basket
and perhaps tighten the weave as I had to mould the basket so the tennis ball didn’t fall out after each throw.
I’ll probably add another 1m to the amount of cordage used for mark II

Last edited:

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I did a solo walk up devil's throne. I find I have to do these things to keep my hand in. Visibility was about 100m - enough for what I was doing. About a third was off track and I was going on a wing and a prayer for a while but managed to hook up to a well formed return track. The map I have, which isn't old and covers a fairly high use area (around Mt Wellington) showed some of the tracks as vehicular. It's one of the worst mapping mistakes I've seen - now overgrown but they were never vehicular tracks. It was wet from start to finish - my boots were full of water from the scrub and my fingers were frozen even though I had two pairs of gloves on. Pools of water had a crust of ice and it was sleeting. My torso was warm though. I didn't stop other than to look at map or compass - 10km in 2.5 hours and with quite a bit of off track. I think I walked quick to stay warm.

Totumpole

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Made up a few line holders to make a tobacco tin sized fishing kit. Had a go with a few different tools, and you will notice the difference in finish of the one made with carving tools vs large general purpose knife. The keen eyes may also notice the blood on the rough one - knife slipped into my thumb while trying to make a shallow impression. Just shows the right tool for the right job doesn't just make it easier, but safer too!
IMG_3510.jpg

Last edited:

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Never made a Swedish fire torch before , so it was out with the saw and hatchet and get to work . Surprisingly it only took around 10 minutes to make . By a bit of luck there was a piece of wire hanging on the fence that fitted spot on . Still haven't had any cool weather to sit by a fire up here in Townsville . So I might wait for a cool snap before lighting her up .

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Took on one of the 12 tasks of Hercules. Not the cleaning of the Augean stable but cleaning my shed. I didn't have two rivers the flush out the dung, just a broom and a dust brush.
However, I did uncover a couple of old dixie sets. I remember someone was looking for a set. Flick me a PM and I'll send them your way.
Cheers
Bloffy

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Never made a Swedish fire torch before , so it was out with the saw and hatchet and get to work . Surprisingly it only took around 10 minutes to make . By a bit of luck there was a piece of wire hanging on the fence that fitted spot on . Still haven't had any cool weather to sit by a fire up here in Townsville . So I might wait for a cool snap before lighting her up .

View attachment 26337

View attachment 26338
I would be interested to see what happens. I remember some discussion as to the suitability of hardwoods versus the pine that the northern hemisphere has in abundance.

What type of wood is that?

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I would be interested to see what happens. I remember some discussion as to the suitability of hardwoods versus the pine that the northern hemisphere has in abundance.

What type of wood is that?
Like you , I'll be interested to see how it goes . I'll probably fire her up on the weekend and take some pics for scientific purposes , Ha . As for the type of timber , dunno .

Totumpole

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
You just missed the cold snap - would have been perfect. I'm in Townsville too - really enjoyed the cool evenings in the 2 week winter.

I tried recently (during said cool weather) with some kind of eucalypt wood (I think). I only cut across the top with a circular saw, so the gaps aren't very big and the flames wouldn't spread into the cuts (stuffed with dry fronds, matchstick thin stick and fine fat wood shavings). Epic fail. I think their wasn't enough air gap in the cuts with all the material there. I reckon your split wood technique has a better chance of getting going (or doing the cut with a chainsaw, which would be much thicker).

Looking forward to seeing your results as well. I'm gonna try and widen the cuts and have another bash too at some point.

IMG_3370.jpg

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
You just missed the cold snap - would have been perfect. I'm in Townsville too - really enjoyed the cool evenings in the 2 week winter.

I tried recently (during said cool weather) with some kind of eucalypt wood (I think). I only cut across the top with a circular saw, so the gaps aren't very big and the flames wouldn't spread into the cuts (stuffed with dry fronds, matchstick thin stick and fine fat wood shavings). Epic fail. I think their wasn't enough air gap in the cuts with all the material there. I reckon your split wood technique has a better chance of getting going (or doing the cut with a chainsaw, which would be much thicker).

Looking forward to seeing your results as well. I'm gonna try and widen the cuts and have another bash too at some point.

View attachment 26339

Yeah I enjoyed those couple of cool evenings , Sat by the fire in the back yard and boiled the billy . As you say , getting the air into the flame is the trick . As you can see I took about an inch off each quarter to give me a decent centre hole . What I'm thinking is maybe the actual gap on the outside where the quarters meet is not big enough . Good to see someone else up here into the bushcraft side of things.

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
A few days ago collected an amount of sticks and branches lying about on a farm paddock, all good dry yellow box. Today cut up the larger pieces with a chainsaw, mopped up the smaller bits with handsaw or hatchet.

Many could be easily broken over the edge of wood stump.

Ended up with four feedbags and three garbage bins full of cut firewood which is intended for those winter campsites where there not wood available.

SundayFirewood.JPG

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score

View attachment 26339
I get it now. I was wondering how this was suppose to work. So it's a variation of the hobo stove! Yes, bigger gaps wedged open with sticks would be good, and don't pack it in. Keep it open and loose - even with small sticks dropped in vertically. Barra650's should work because he has a wire holding it together; he could use wedges then wire it so that it has gaps from top to bottom. Or even just wedge the bottom of the slots open and keep the slots on top closed. It would be interesting to experiment.