What did you do today?

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Easy work day today , so got up early, boiled the billy and decided to replenish the wood bucket with my trusty fiskers . A good way to spend an hour or so . Hope you gents get to relax with a cuppa on the weekend as well , cheers .

View attachment 26246

Good work(y)
I like the Fiskars. Is that the newer model?
Its hard to tell from here, but I am guessing that is a Zebra 12cm pot? I have the 12cm and 16cm Zebra's & a Cecil & Co Billy and they are great.
Also like the Hobo stove. Did you use/ make your own aluminium cross braces? I am yet to do that, as the Hobo stove they sent me was damaged in the post.

You inspired me to head out this weekend, thanks :LOL:

Here are my billy's. I just got some old military leather straps for them from the U.K. I am a bit of a mess kit/ cooking pot nerd:rolleyes:

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Good work(y)
I like the Fiskars. Is that the newer model?
Its hard to tell from here, but I am guessing that is a Zebra 12cm pot? I have the 12cm and 16cm Zebra's & a Cecil & Co Billy and they are great.
Also like the Hobo stove. Did you use/ make your own aluminium cross braces? I am yet to do that, as the Hobo stove they sent me was damaged in the post.

You inspired me to head out this weekend, thanks :LOL:

Here are my billy's. I just got some old military leather straps for them from the U.K. I am a bit of a mess kit/ cooking pot nerd:rolleyes:

Great minds think alike . Yep , as you I have the 12 and 14cm pots plus the Zebra saucepan and mug . Also it looks like we have the same stainless steel dixie set . I made the cross braces from some aluminium stock I had lying around and they come apart for easy storage . I've only had cheap hatchets in the past which were crap so I bought the fiskars about 3 year ago and pleasure to use .

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Great minds think alike . Yep , as you I have the 12 and 14cm pots plus the Zebra saucepan and mug . Also it looks like we have the same stainless steel dixie set . I made the cross braces from some aluminium stock I had lying around and they come apart for easy storage . I've only had cheap hatchets in the past which were crap so I bought the fiskars about 3 year ago and pleasure to use .

View attachment 26254

Yep, lol. Nice collection... I can see you are definitely well read. Those Hobo stoves work well, hey! I am cutting one down to fit inside my Zebra 12cm. I also have a Zebra mug, but no saucepan, unless you mean the internal ones that come with the 2 pots- I have them.

The mess kit I have (far left above) is the Dutch Army stainless steel one - like yours I think. Other one is a replica (MOD British Army 'style') hard-anodised-aluminium one. It actually came from an Australian soldier, even though not official issue. I really like the MOD one, as its the biggest (deepest) and creates a sealed cavity to put cooking stuff in.

I was lucky enough to just find an Australian Army Mess Kit in as-new condition, and I am waiting on a genuine British British Mess Kit from Canada, which I am hoping will end up my favourite.

I am also looking into vintage based cooking pots. I say based because I like stainless steel. And example is the 1 Qt Stockman's Pot, a Siberian Cook pot and a medium cast iron pot from Germany, but last one is not cheap! May look used, but they weight a tone and transport is risky from German to Oz.

Titanium cookware has its purpose and I wouldn't rule it out. After all I may need it when I'm old, but you cant beat stainless steel, cast iron and even aluminium is hard to beat in many cases, especially when you consider weight and cost(y)

That said I want to start using my pots more and cooking real meals in the field. My favourite is the beef stockman's hot pot! Its all good fun in the bush.

Here's my new genuine Australian Army Mess Kit, 2005. Turned up yesterday. I am thrilled with it! Condition is amazing. (A special thanks to @Howling Dingo; for recommending this one).

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Here's my new genuine Australian Army Mess Kit, 2005. Turned up yesterday. I am thrilled with it! Condition is amazing. (A special thanks to @Howling Dingo; for recommending this one).

[/QUOTE]

Cool, I have never have see a new one.A heap of them out there to be found at car boot sales and Salvos.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, mate. I mainly went for these as I have a Australian Army Canteen Cup date 2005 in mint condition and I wanted to match the date and condition(y) I found the canteen set cheap in new condition & complete for only $15 2 years ago! I paid through the nose for the mess kit though, $40 including delivery, but better than overseas jobs when you factor in postage costs I suppose. They are a really compact set... I was trying to compare you'res to these. I think you'res have thicker aluminium walls, but its hard to tell. This is something I would have liked. But, I do know they hard anodised the sides of these tins from at least about 2003+ onward (maybe earlier I'm not sure), which is nice too.

You have inspired my interest in some of the old vintage cook wear and packs as well. I brought a Cecil & Co Billy No.1, am looking into a 1 Qt pot, a cast iron German pot and a Siberian cook pot. I have a mess kit fetish I think, and its you're fault:rolleyes::LOL: I may end up purchasing a Swedish LK35 or 50 as the Bundeswehre German Mountain-troops pack is a bit small for extended trips(y) After that its a few clothes, some more vintage gear, like an oil cloth tarp, & I'm just about set! I really enjoy and like to use the things I collect. We only live once. Have a great weekend:) Cheers, Eddy.

NSN Contractor is SilverGlo (He accidentally sent me an 2004 inner and and is sending me an 2005).

Last edited:

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Cecil & Co tin plate Billy can is a very unrated bit of kit and at about $10 a steal. I started with Kmart Billy then moved on to that one which is a heaps better.Wish Cecil & Co did a stainless Billy as well that would be totally epic.

About $40 seems high for a Aussie army mess kit but will last a lifetime or two. Same basic design as mine but looks like they changed the maker later or something. Sometimes I just take one half of the kit with a Billy can. Both are really good bits of gear you can get locally that don't cost that much...

Video some dude did on the Aussie army mess kit..

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
An informative yet relaxed video. I really enjoyed that, thanks(y)

$40 included postage and I have been looking for as-new for months- I wanted as-new to match my as-new canteen cup set, remember. Also very hard to find in this condition. No regrets here:D

I have thought exactly what you just mentioned a few times recently regarding the Cecil & Co. Billy No.1. You are so right! They are highly underrated & I too wished they came in stainless steel, even a thin walled stainless steel. It would be magic! The design is vintage evocative, H.D., & the capacity is virtually perfect- closest to a true classic 1Qt I have seen. I'm sure you'll agree, but I think the perfect billy & camping cook pots, especially for hiking are long overdue... And keep them classic too;)

Somehow I find myself taking the Cecil & Co. Billy No.1 every time I go out, even though I recently brought 2 brand new Zebra Billy's! I think its the weight. Its so light (Cecil & Co. Billy I mean).

I wanted to ask you, do you know how long these Cecil & Co. tin Billy's will typically last? I try to dry them out and did the oil coating thing in the beginning, but mine still seems to gather 'some' rust? Cheers.

Here is mine now with a freshly fed vintage black German Army leather roller strap I found in England.
In used condition she looks timeless...:)

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Cecil & Co tin plate Billy can is a very unrated bit of kit and at about $10 a steal. I started with Kmart Billy then moved on to that one which is a heaps better.Wish Cecil & Co did a stainless Billy as well that would be totally epic.

About $40 seems high for a Aussie army mess kit but will last a lifetime or two. Same basic design as mine but looks like they changed the maker later or something. Sometimes I just take one half of the kit with a Billy can. Both are really good bits of gear you can get locally that don't cost that much...

Video some dude did on the Aussie army mess kit..

Did you miss this :)

I wanted to ask you, do you know how long these Cecil & Co. tin Billy's will typically last? I try to dry them out and did the oil coating thing in the beginning, but mine still seems to gather 'some' rust? Cheers.

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Was have a tidy up of some gear and grabbed my SS teapot that I haven't used for awhile . So out to the fire pit to boil up for a cuppa . I've had this little gem for years , just throw a hand full of tea in and bobs your uncle . Nice heavy gauge SS .

Attachments

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you miss this :)

I lost one to rust up the back of the shed,it was a big one I hardy used. I had one going on 8 years...

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Was have a tidy up of some gear and grabbed my SS teapot that I haven't used for awhile . So out to the fire pit to boil up for a cuppa . I've had this little gem for years , just throw a hand full of tea in and bobs your uncle . Nice heavy gauge SS .

Wow...! What a beauty... Timeless... I don't have a tea pot. I considered the Snow Peak Kettle No.1, but I though hey I may wait & find a classic somewhere, who knows.

I ordered another IKEA S/S stove. i will cut it using the Dremel tool. I want it fitting in the Zebra 12cm Billy. The lip is the only trouble. This was trial and error to find out. I cut too much off last time and the second one they sent me was squashed! This will be take 3 :rolleyes:

First attempt

Hey look, the Cecil & Co. Billy also nests inside the IKEA hobo stove, in addition to inside the Zebra 12cm Billy. Both fits are perfect!

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I lost one to rust up the back of the shed,it was a big one I hardy used. I had one going on 8 years...

Thanks, H.D.

Hey, did you know this... I was pleasantly surprised.

Cecil & Co. Billy also nests perfectly inside the IKEA hobo stove...

...in addition to nesting with an air-tight fit inside the Zebra 12cm Billy:)

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
haha good dog. looks like a great spot Barra. love a good spot to watch the rain and relax.

I felled some trees with a hand saw, cleared an area for a future permanent camp build. will post up a thread for input.