What did you do today?

odgens

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
All those tarns that run along the base of the rodway range ice over in winter - we often leap off the range into powder snow all the way to the bottom, then walk back over the tarns. I think cross country skiing used to be big around here. Skiers used to use that hut. There used to be old wooden skis and bindings in the hut too. Although skating on the tarns sounds very doable :) I never thought of that. It's a really cold place in Winter. Often a freezing cold wind where you would have done the return leg of that walk if you did the round trip. Great photos
Sounds awesome, ill have to get back up there when the snow starts!

Yes some of the old skis were still in the hut but a few had been pinched, was talking to the ranger when we got back. Pretty sad that people do that, along with all the crap written all over the walls. The hut isn't in the best of shape so hopefully Parks have some funding for repairs, be a shame to see something like that disappear

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Sounds awesome, ill have to get back up there when the snow starts!

Yes some of the old skis were still in the hut but a few had been pinched, was talking to the ranger when we got back. Pretty sad that people do that, along with all the crap written all over the walls. The hut isn't in the best of shape so hopefully Parks have some funding for repairs, be a shame to see something like that disappear
If you do go in winter, I recommend snow chains. I have snow shoes, but the ice is more of an issue. And snow chains are easy to carry. I couldn't get snow chains to stay on, especially traversing slopes etc. They work well for other people (as always :cautious:), so I've bought some crampons that go on normal boots. I got the smallest spikes I could, because you don't really need much here. On top of Rodway, it is always icy. And snow chains for your car - sometimes they make people put snow chains on at the bottom. If you don't have them, you can't go up. And 4wd only. They only expect you to put chains on the front.

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Bit of gardening today, pulled out all the dead tomato and cucumber plants. Dug the vegetable bed up well with fresh cow manure, think I will put some broad beans in.

barefoot dave

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Nice build, mongoose. Nothing like a highly accurate instrument that doubles as an effective back up weapon. When these were replaced with the Silva prismatic, it was nice to shed the weight. But there is nothing like the heft and feel of opening a surveyors compass. Much like the Telescope, Scout, Regimental. Still looking for a good one of those too.

barefoot dave

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Got out of Dodge for a few days this week, down to the southern Darling Downs and into Cypress country. Discovered that down that way, the council still auctions off blocks for unpaid rates. Very poor country, but 20 acres for $5k is attractive. Anyone have any experience with these type of sales and traps associated with them?

MJC88

Les Stroud
Reaction score
On the weekend I paddled to a nearby island for a solo overnighter. Was a mangrove island hence the tent. The mozzies weren't too bad when away from the waters edge but certainly covered up. Hopefully as the temps cool down they calm down a bit too. My first canoe camp, love the load carrying ability.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
On the weekend I paddled to a nearby island for a solo overnighter. Was a mangrove island hence the tent. The mozzies weren't too bad when away from the waters edge but certainly covered up. Hopefully as the temps cool down they calm down a bit too. My first canoe camp, love the load carrying ability.

Thanks for posting. Got to love an overnighter. Great shots(y)

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Got out of Dodge for a few days this week, down to the southern Darling Downs and into Cypress country. Discovered that down that way, the council still auctions off blocks for unpaid rates. Very poor country, but 20 acres for $5k is attractive. Anyone have any experience with these type of sales and traps associated with them?
Possibly. I used to work in the Central Gippsland Council. There was a nearby coastal location that was popular for people having shacks to stay at on holidays etc for fishing. And many blocks of land. The blocks were too small for housing permits (I think there might have been a change in laws?), so many of them just sat there, probably forgotten about. Council sends out rate notices, and quite a few of them don't get paid for years. I'm guessing those people have moved and the addresses the council have are no longer good. Those blocks went up for sale, in a similar fashion. I'm thinking what you've found is a similar thing. Why don't you just phone up the council and ask? You could also find out what the limitations on that land are? Are you able to build there? If you do want to build there, what are the conditions? In tassie now, if you live somewhere like that, you have to have a reasonable access for fire trucks and a turn around point also for fire trucks. And some water catchment (rain water tank). Things like that. Also ask if there are council rates for those blocks and what the ballpark figure. I think the relevant council person would tell you what the issues are. If they don't, go and have a drink at the pub, get into a game of pool, you know and ease into it with some of the locals. Oh, and check boundaries - fence lines (if any) are often the neighbour's way of claiming a bit of extra land, especially if it's been vacant a while. Likewise, don't assume there is a dam or creek on or through the block you're interested in unless it shows on the title.

Last edited: