What did you do today?

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
We had shooters somewhere up on our Eastern boundary last night, so I went up there today to see if they had been on our side of the fence & see if there were any dead or wounded animals. I didn't find any sign, no spent shell cases, but there is a lot of ares to cover up there. Anyway I had the camera with me so I took some pictures of the remnants of what is probably Ryvardenia Creatacea low down in a tree, & some Echidna diggings.
Keith.
Ryvardenia Cretacea & Echidna diggings 001.jpgRyvardenia Cretacea & Echidna diggings 002.jpgRyvardenia Cretacea & Echidna diggings 003.jpgRyvardenia Cretacea & Echidna diggings 004.jpgRyvardenia Cretacea & Echidna diggings 005.jpg
Old & weather worn but still good for tinder use.

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Or a saw. Saws are much safer to use than an axe.
Or don't cut the wood. We usually just burn long pieces in half, then half again etc ... no need to cut at all; unless you're trying to extract it, in which case a saw is best IMO
In all the years I have lived in the bush, I have never had to cut firewood for a camp fire.
Keith.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
With you Keith. Only cut it if I want to but mainly burn it either in half or end feed. I have also broken branches between the fork of a tree.
Ask Chris about my abortive and not widely discussed attempt to build a bush stool out of inland WA bush timber.
OMG, that was BLOODY HARD wood. It was really, really hard.
Cheers
Bloffy

Nukeyboy

Russell Coight
Reaction score
8:53 AM as of typing this, been concreting since 6, and taking 15 min breaks every 2 or so hours, weather is boring as usual(Welcome to QLD) but im excited to be back on the base :)

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Gave two knives a polish (sharpen) to restore their edges a bit using a old shearing shed flat stone.

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
More road repairs using the new tractor bucket to cart aggregate. Hot already & only just into spring, that means at least 6 months of summer instead of just three!!! This does not bode well for the future!!!
Keith.

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
More road repairs using the new tractor bucket to cart aggregate. Hot already & only just into spring, that means at least 6 months of summer instead of just three!!! This does not bode well for the future!!!
Keith.
I would not argue with your thoughts on the forthcoming summer season. Now would be the time to fish out the fire fighting pump, oil change and a test run so as to make sure all is well and ready.

Think things will start to go pear shaped before to long.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Spent the night watching the bush tv and talking with a diverse range of uni students and their lecturers doing Indigenous studies. Learnt quite a bit and most interesting stuff. A good night.
Cheers
Bloffy

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Arced up the bush TV again last night with my family around us, a few fortifying drinks and a bundle of blankets to keep warm. Another good night outdoors. It doesn't always have to be complicated to be fun....
Cheers
Bloffy

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Arced up the bush TV again last night with my family around us, a few fortifying drinks and a bundle of blankets to keep warm. Another good night outdoors. It doesn't always have to be complicated to be fun....
Cheers
Bloffy
Good one Bloffy, well done.
Keith.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Spring is in the air:
Echidna are looking for mates (and ants)
20180930_140849 (Medium).jpg 20180930_140856 (Medium).jpg

Orchids are emerging:
20180930_142354 (Medium).jpg

Wattles are well and truly flowering
20180930_170855 (Medium).jpg

Common Reeds are shooting:
20180930_170812 (Medium).jpg
(Incidentally these new shoots have very long leaves before their stems form. I think they would be excellent to process into cordage - rather than the leaves from mature reeds.
Just saying ...)

Joey's are almost too big to carry:
20180930_160902 (Medium).jpg

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
weather warming up here, so more enjoyable hikes / walks.

Must say the black snakes are VERY active....(Illawarra NSW)

and the riding school horses were enjoying the day as well :non sono stato io:

20181001_110008.jpg

cheers Mozz

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
nothing bushcrafty for me today. dug a hole and planted a wisteria. trimmed some other plants. pulled the many endless weeds..

koalaboi

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
+1 on the wisteria front.

It invaded the roof....split the lattice fence around our back courtyard and even after poisoning and chopping down and removing roots, suckers started coming up all over the place.

Like Cassius said of Julius Caesar:

“And therefore think him as a serpent's egg— Which, hatched, would as his kind grow mischievous— And kill him in the shell.”

Act now!

KB

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
hah great.. well the missus wanted it.

we have a large verandah with about 2.5m of roof for it to destroy :)
if it gets that bad ill move. :p