What did you do today?

Dusty

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Hi all,
Well today I have been exdtremely busy planting our land with bushtucker and natives to our area. The goal of this is to restore some of the land back to its natural habitat (we do have grazing land for cattle), grow tress which can be used for craft, and grow edible plants for use, wildlife and plant identification.

We are fortunate to have the Barambah Environmental Education Centre which is designed for school kids particpating in environmental studies and participating in projects which include knowledge of local bush tucker, restoring the forest and bushcraft skills.

So we were lucky to have a tour (we are overgrown school kids!!!!) and be introduced to the local fauna. The bonus for us was that this centre also has its own nursery and we were able to obtain many plants and will be going back for more. What a find!!!!

So if anyone is interested this is what we brought home:

Causurina Totura - Forest Sheoak
Acacia Fimbrata - Brisbane golden wattle
Acacia Podalyriifo - Queensland silver wattle
Acacia Oshcinesii
Acacia Conferta - Crowned leaf wattle
Araucaria Cunnighamii - Hoop Pine
Araucaria Bidwilli - Bunya Pine
Bankia Spinulosa - Birthday Candles
Alpinia Caerulea - Native ginger
Hibiscus Heterophyllus - Native hibiscus
Eupomatia Laurina - Ntive guava
Hardenbergia - Native sarsparilla
Grevillea Robusta - Queensland Silky Oak
Castanospermum Australe - Black Bean
Dianella Coerulea - Blueberry Flax Lily
Syzygium Australe - Scrub Cherry
Westringia Fruticosa - Coastal Rosemary
Callistemon Formosous - Kingaroy Bottlebrush
Cassine Australis - Red Olive
Podocarpus Elatus - Australian Plum Pine
Hymenosporum Flauum - Native Frangipani
Viola Banksii - Native Violet
Brachychiton Acerifolius - Illawara Falme Tree
Ficus Macrophylla - Moreton Bay Fig

Well I hope I spelt the above correctly. The plants well define the region we live in. For your information the Native frangipani is the fastest growing tree in our area. I am so excited, can't wait till the frosts are over and plant other species in the warm weather.

Will post up photos when we fully establish our bush gardens.

Dusty

feebullet

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
sounds great would love to see some pics of your hard work! I moved house this weekend.... I'd swap you weekends anytime.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
and I spent the week-end watching plaster dry and posting on BushcraftOZ, i am glad to see you working to restore our native habitat, congratulations on a time well spent

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
I , like most week days am left to tend daily routine of the property maintenance , feeding livestock and other duties. Week days my partner is away working staying overnights at site. i usually leave all screens up on computer and when i get a chance look at what is going on.
my weekly routines get moved depending on events for example i had to replace water pump on house as it broke down and repaired for spare. i have a fox tormenting my poultry so had a nap ready for the hunt tonight or morning. I believe the temps will be down below 0 tonight so a bit of time on the old computer will be in order.
repairs to flood damage is still on going.

Ash

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Most of my time seems to be spent at work. Lately thats all I seem to do. But when I do get time off my first priority is to spend time with the family. I love to get out into the bush too, it relaxes me. Its sort of slows everything back down.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
How did you go feebullet.

ash I believe a lot of people are in same boat and I agree family is a priority.

feebullet

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
esky.jpgsweep_esky.jpg yeah its winter, was hoping on a few more offies but I'll take a school of sweep and an esky of reef fish as a combined harvest.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
A decent little feed Lucky you i wish it was me with a catch like that

Dusty

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Well today was most eventful ----NOT!!!! I had just started planting again after a long awaited rain (6 months). I had just started and had to stop as the wind carried a new language accross the air. Hark....yes it was the other half so excited (NOT), he had just bogged the tractor!!!!. Oh yes men do have different ideas like re digging out the gully full of soft black soil under torrential rain conditions. Anyway we finally got the tractor free and my day was at an end. There is only so much a woman can take.

Dusty

Dusty

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Hi all,
Had a great day. Watch out for auscrafts pics of what we saw in Gympie. We covered a couple of museums seeing bush huts, old steam driven saw mill, and a couple of days gone by black smith workshops. Next week we are heading back as the old saw mill will be in full operation and will have a forestry blacksmith on site working.
Picked up some great ideas for house renovations (only kidding) but would like to build a bark bush hut on the property for practising to build bushcraft semipermanent construction.

View attachment 488

This bark hut is 25 years old and the bark on the roof only was replaced 2 years ago. This was built from local yellow stringy bark also known as white mahogany. Not bad hey. I was impressed by how dry the interior was after rain.
Dusty

Last edited:

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Took my new BT50 out for a drive with my gf and mate to The lost city and gardens of stone today. Was pretty horrid weather but saw some great scenery and its always good to get out into the bush. Was pretty wet so some fun sliding the the mud was had by all.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
A beaut part of the world! Hope the vehicle lived up to your expectation!

Regards

Big Bill

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Had a meeting arranged in the Bush with a Deer about Meat procurement.......Damn deer didn't show though......Ya just can't trust them bush critters can ya!!

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Well Dusty has gone back to work leaving me with the builders I am so happy about another bout of repairs going on. Tonight we expect to get to high -2 I have 55square meters of ceiling removed and 2 complete wall gone waiting to be relined both are parimeter walls.

So what is the difference if Was to go camping under a hootchie????:)
the only grace i have is dusty gone for 5 days and this time around still have my computer and TV available for use.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Well Dusty has gone back to work leaving me with the builders I am so happy about another bout of repairs going on. Tonight we expect to get to high -2 I have 55square meters of ceiling removed and 2 complete wall gone waiting to be relined both are parimeter walls.

So what is the difference if Was to go camping under a hootchie????:)
the only grace i have is dusty gone for 5 days and this time around still have my computer and TV available for use.
Holy smokes mate! I don't envy you! but we with dusty gone we will be seeing more of you!

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Thanks Corin
The builders finished today only painters need to come now. At least not living in a tent:)
Yes Now that the the builders have finished she can use her own computer when home and not log me out. Mind you could mean a few family barnies occuring on line:)