What Bushcraft/ Survival (Outdoorsie) book are you reading at the mo?

sureformsandbc

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been done before but I'm interested in what books, info, magazines and blogs related bushcraft/ survival/ outdoors stuff in general that you guys are reading at the moment.

Currently I'm reading our uncle Ray's (Mears) Essential Bushcraft, it's a good/ easy read plenty of information, not to complex in it's delivery.
I also appreciate his reasonably consistent referencing to our Bushcraft/ Survival kit (Hootchie as example) and the skills of Australia's first residents, our Aboriginal brothers, who's traditional culture, as I'm sure we can all agree, is the pinnacle of bushcraft in our country.

Anyways good book, easy read, required information I would suggest, If you haven't read it and are looking for your next book pick yourself up (or borrow) a copy of Uncle Ray's Essential Bushcraft.

(Disclaimer - Uncle Ray is a term of endearment, it is most likely that Ray Mears is not your uncle, unless he is, then he probably is (better ask your mother)).

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Not exactly bushcraft but I'm reading Tim Low's latest "Where song began" ..... Australia's birds and how they changed the world.
Hard to put down.

sureformsandbc

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Not exactly bushcraft but I'm reading Tim Low's latest "Where song began" ..... Australia's birds and how they changed the world.
Hard to put down.
Cheers for the response Hairyman, any book that you can glean an understanding of how all things in the 'natural world' behave and relate to one another is bush crafty enough for me, hope it's a good read.

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Im waiting on a copy of Bushcraft: The Ultimate Guide to Survival in the Wilderness, by Richard graves......

Mirawon

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Currently reading Bushcraft 101 by Dave Canterbury, if you've seen his youtube channel you'll know just how thorough he is, a great read for sure.
Ill have to get myself a copy of Essential Bushcraft sounds like an awesome book.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a good book sureformsandbc. I also like Ray's Outdoor Survival Handbook. Book depository has most of Ray's stuff, with free shipping.
I'm also using Native Plants of the Blue Mountains, by Margaret Baker, a local.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I like Ray's books, funny thing is that they are written almost exactly the say way he presents in his shows !

I'm not very actively "reading", but, I'm reading: Australian Plants as Aboriginal Tools by Philip A Clarke

Aboriginal Plants as tools.jpg

jrumbel

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Just finished reading a book called 'Going Home' by A. American. It was a great read. Essentially a book about a prepper trying to get home to his wife and kids after an EMP attack. There are more books in the series. I will be getting the next one soon. Purchased on Google books if anyone is interested. So far the story has been fairly realistic to the situation....not too nutty...yet :D

Tezza

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Just finished reading a book called 'Going Home' by A. American. It was a great read. Essentially a book about a prepper trying to get home to his wife and kids after an EMP attack. There are more books in the series. I will be getting the next one soon. Purchased on Google books if anyone is interested. So far the story has been fairly realistic to the situation....not too nutty...yet :D
That's a good book, I'm currently reading book 4 of that series , Forsaking Home. The first two books in the series are the best, after that it's more about taking up arms against the corrupt government.......very paranoid American survivalist stuff.

Gleebitz

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Im waiting on a copy of Bushcraft: The Ultimate Guide to Survival in the Wilderness, by Richard graves......
What do you make of it Jarrad? My better half got it for me at xmas. It's the first bushcraft book Ive read but seems good in my 'newb' opinion, very detailed at times. I reckon it'd be a good one to take out on an over nighter and practice with.

G

George

Account Inactive
What Bushcraft/ Survival Outdoorsie book are you reading at the mo

Ok, since no one answers this thread, I will answer myself

Im reading People of the Fire - by Michael and Kathleen O Neal Gear. Good book I have the whole series.