Welcome to the Scouts Australia forum on Bushcraft OZ

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
We often talk about Richard Graves here on bushcraft OZ, and rightly so. But many have forgotten that bushcraft/woodcraft has deeper roots in the modern world. In 1907 Robert Baden-Powell started the scout movement and wrote a book, "Scouting For Boys"

http://www.thedump.scoutscan.com/yarns00-28.pdf

This book still has a great deal of relevance today. Baden-Powell recognized that the youth of his day needed something to give them guidance and teach them citizenship, to direct them and teach them independence and in fact more skills than I care to list. He recognized that the outdoors provided the perfect classroom, and the success of the movement is testimony to the idea. An idea that is as relevant today as it was then.

As most people on these forums know I am reasonably heavily involved with the scouts.

Even if you are not involved with the scouting Movement you will have heard of the scouts and have some idea about what the scouting movement is all about. Established over 100 years ago and with 41 million members world wide including Guides (nearly twice the population of Australia), they are hard not to of heard of.

Perhaps you were a Scout? Perhaps you were a leader? Perhaps you still are a leader or a Scout? Feel free to post your thoughts and experiences, say what you did and did not like, but above all else say what you think the scouting movement could do to increase its relevance to the youth of today. How we can get the kids back out into the bush and teach them the skills we all love on this forum, almost all of which are common to Scouting, even have their roots in Scouting.

share your thoughts, ideas, programs and anything that will help others get the youth out of their houses, out of their halls, away from the electronic devices and back to the things that really matter.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Yes indeed.
I was kicked out of my local troop and never went back ( personal between SM and me tho ) went straight to CMF ( just like BS but with bigger rifles )
Bring back fixed blade knives and shooting as legitimate scout skills, I remember when we went out we carried more blades than the army; bayonets, sheath knives and axes were standard items of carry back in the 60s

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
I too was asked to leave the scouts , but in saying that I found the scouts very interesting and supported the youth. Would have liked something like that for my son but did not happen.
I was kicked when we still played british bulldog as an activity at meets only after some time we got a new master who was a pussy the start of ''don't be rough'' kids are kids but whinging hearts are whinging hearts and cause nothing but troubles.
At the time british bulldog was played as competition even at jamborees and the like 7 of my troupe asked to leave by this master f...w...

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting experiences fellas.

I can confirm that use and care of axes and knives are still part of the award scheme, and shooting is not a prohibited activity. There are a lot of conservative leaders out there who have different ideas on how things should be done, and there are may troops that as a result do nothing.

Obviously the risk of legal action over injury in recent years has gone through the roof. Not sure what motivated the changes in your day. Surely there is some good experiences out there though? I hope so!

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Oh I had a great time and learned a lot, the Scouts are where I started bushwalking.
Trouble is some men become scout leaders for the wrong reasons and this bloke was one of them,

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
many good experiences even the negetive of being kicked out was a positive as my intestest in the bush and wildlife only increased

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Well I had a good run I think... from Cub to Rover and Assistant Scout Leader... I left when they got far too PC and the like... about two years after they went CoEd... I then moved on to teaching Emergency Services Cadets (SES).

Scouting has changed a great deal from the past, I have a copy of BP's Original Handbooks, both his military scouting manual and the Scouting for boys, the one he wrote when he went back to ol' blighty... very different to todays handbooks, it's a shame really, the old style scouting was far more "Rough" to be sure but boys learned quickly how to be "men" in doing so... having visited a couple of groups since I left it has changed so much it's really a different animal now..

chutes

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Cub - scout - venturer - rover here.

Haven't been involved since my early 20s, but I have very fond memories and will encourage my kids to participate as well

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Scouting was something I never got involved in for whatever reason.
However, I was in the Air Force Cadets for a number of years as a young sprog & enjoyed that very much.
I do know several youngesters (sons of mates) that are into scouting & at times I have had the pleasure of their company when camping, hunting, etc.
One observation I will make is that I have never found a lad that was dedicated to his scouting to be antyhing less that a pleasure to be out in the wilds with.
Interestingly in 2009 Bear Grylls became the youngest person ever to be appointed to the position of 'Chief Scout' by the scouting movement in Great Brittain.

Bill A.

RichardK

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I was a "Choco" -"Armoured Corp" recon- and am now a Scout Leader (Corin is my Region Activities Commissioner) a lot of the skills I learnt I am now passing on to my scouts , especially hiking and navigation.

As Corin said there are many "conservative" leaders, but I am not one of them, I get the kids out as much as possible, teaching them top be self dependent and getting them to realise that its worth trying something new.

I keep it fun as well to keep them interested. Thats the key I think, learning whilst at the same type having fun. It keeps them coming back

Big Bill

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Cub, Scout, Venturer ...............Was lucky to have two Special forces Nam Vets as my leaders, absolutely great teachers........

pickstock

Russell Coight
Reaction score
joey, cub, scout, venturer sort of rover (im an honorary member as i only do some activities just as motosport and the camps, rather than pub crawls etc)
got kicked out of venturers due to the fact my partner was slightly older (1 year) and was in rovers and the official word is instant dismissal
and now im a leader.
im trying to change the whole pussyness off the group, no ball games inside as it damages the hall etc

My observations are that the movement is slowly being reinvigorated in the old way

climbndrive

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I started scouts in 1997 at 1St Olympic Village in Heidelberg our leader was army and crazy we hiked the ridge of the Cathedral ranges in pouring rain in winter,i thought it was awsomne,i moved to Gisborne and started there continued to venturers ,after a stoush with the leader moved to Macedon ranges venturer Unit(MRVU) and continued,my Older brother completed his Queens scouts(i Didn't ,wasnt about badges and glory to me)just liked the hard skills from there went onto Rovers in Woodend but lost me as all the crew wanted to do was drink and use my climbing gear with little respect,i from this point was a little lost,i even spent a year in Ballarat getting qualifications as an outdoor leader to take groups on expeditons but work was seasonal and the companies i worked for shut down(Hawthorn YMCA outdoor division,and Perigrine rafting who i was training with) i think a group dedicated to senior scouts that could help specialize certain outdoor skills to take to scouting groups would probably help the younger generation as most of the scout leaders now are parents of scouts that have little or no experience in the real outdoors,they are hesitant to step outside there own comfort zones let alone lead kids through thiers,i have thought about joining a local troop as a leader to guide the youth of today but cant commit to every week,but could run the occasional workshop persay for groups that wanted it. maybey we could propose this to the scouting movement.Just an idea.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
i think a group dedicated to senior scouts that could help specialize certain outdoor skills to take to scouting groups would probably help the younger generation as most of the scout leaders now are parents of scouts that have little or no experience in the real outdoors,they are hesitant to step outside there own comfort zones let alone lead kids through thiers,i have thought about joining a local troop as a leader to guide the youth of today but cant commit to every week,but could run the occasional workshop persay for groups that wanted it. maybey we could propose this to the scouting movement.Just an idea.
Ha, Shame you don't live in my area! Thats funny cause it is exactly what I do! I run adventurous activity teams in my region. Activities such as bushwalking, abseiling, kayaking, canoeing, whitewater, rock climbing, canyoning, caving, archery, challenge ropes and flying fox.

I have a dedicated team of experienced leaders whose only responsibility is to run activities year round.

http://www.humescouts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=63

Have a look at the activity manual, it will give you a bit of an idea.

So yeah I absolutely think your suggestion is a great idea, and from first hand experience I can assure you it works.