auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Common Name: Welcome Swallow

Scientific name: Hirundo neoxena

Family: Hirundinidae

Order: Passeriformes

Other Names: N/A

Distribution: widespread in Australia, but are less common in the far north than in the south.

Habitat: Has a wide variety of habitats with the exception of the more heavily forested regions and drier inland areas.

Field Notes: metallic blue-black above, light grey below on the breast and belly, and rust on the forehead, throat and upper breast. It has a long forked tail, with a row of white spots on the individual feathers.

Photos by Auscraft, 2011. My Yard, QLD

View attachment 869

Last edited:

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Nest

The nest is an open cup of mud and grass, made by both sexes, and is attached to a suitable structure, such as a vertical rock wall or building. The nest is lined with feathers and fur. The female alone incubates the eggs but the young are fed by both parents. Often up to two broods are raised in a season.
Photo by Auscraft,2011
View attachment 2043View attachment 2044

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a pair in early October building their nest. You can see that the upper section of mud is dark (wet):
P1250874 (Large).jpg

Here they are, about 10m away, collecting mud for the nest:
P1250883 (Large).jpg

Dusty

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I love watching these birds around the house. They have always claimed our front porch where our foxies live. Lost a couple last week to the dogs, birds must have got to close teasing. Great photos auscraft, JKM and Aussie.

Brumby53

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Usually have then here on the Tablelands of NSW during the warmer months and they migrate somewhere warmer during winter - However this year two have remained in an alcove at the back of our Hut (Which is were they always nest)
100_4530 A.jpg
Lovely to have around anytime of the year.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I was handing about in an underground carpark one evening (you know, just normal stuff ...) and I noticed small black critters flitting about and heading to the far back corner, about 100m underground !

I wondered if there was a bat colony lurking in the cavernous depths so I went back to check it out ....
Nothing was visible, but I could clearly hear critters. On the ground was a tell tale sign of where I should look, a pile of scat (poo):
20141125_204742 (Small).jpg

I looked up and behind (a tricky spot) ... and tucked up behind a rafter was a nest with chicks:
20141125_204730 (Small).jpg

I realized I'd given then quite a fright (esp with the flash), so I quickly backed off and they did seem to settle down again....

Last edited:

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
The moving Swallows nest, i did check the eggs and they were warm.

going by the droppings and mud layers, its a refurbished nest.

Swallow-in-CB.jpgSwallow-in-CB2.jpg

where is the nest? its in the pay load area of a Canberra Bomber :non sono stato io:

DSC04375.jpg

Mozz

Last edited: