Weekend spearfishing

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Went spearfishing (freediving not SCUBA) with some friends on Saturday about 100 km north of Perth. We started off diving on an old sunken oil rig (Key Biscayne) 22 km offshore. The rig lies in -42 m but comes up to -26 m. There wasn’t much about so we headed inshore to dive some reefs about 5 km offshore in -10 m to -15 m depth and I shot a very nice Dhufish (see pics). The underwater pictures are sepia toned as my daughter was messing around with the camera and changed the settings. I did not notice this until I looked at the pics.
Dhufish.jpgDhufish2.jpg

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice fish mate!

Looks like fun I have never tried spear fishing but it is on my to do list.

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Dusty, you generally need to be good swimmer and not be too scared of sharks. In training you learn to dive to about 20 m depth with a dive time of 1.5 minutes. Lots of pool training helps!

ozbladefan

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Looks like fun , have you had many encounters of the toothy kind whilst down there?

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
There is always the traditional style spear (mulitpronged) and torch method that the less commited can try before going out diving with a band driven spear. They are quite different techniques though. Wading in the shallow areas with a spear and torch (preferably a headlamp) can get you some easy meals without much effort. If you live near water, making (and using) a fishing spear is probably a good bushcraft skill to attempt.

Last edited:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Dusty M.
"Wading in the shallow areas with a spear and torch (preferably a headlamp) can get you some easy meals without much effort."
I dont think this is legal in Qld at least.... so best just kept in mind for when you are in a "Man vs Wild" situation.
I think it is legal to snorkle with a rubber powered hand spear.....correct me if im wrong about this.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Spear fishing is permitted in tidal waters so long as you don't use tanks and is in a permitted area... However it is porhibitited in all fresh water waterways and still water...

Fishing gear - fresh waters: http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_3023.htm

Spear Fishing - Tidal waters: http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_3696.htm

Tidal waters closed spear fishing:
Spearfishing

Spear guns and spears must not be used to take fish while using or wearing underwater breathing apparatus other than a snorkel.
Spearfishing for barramundi is prohibited between 6pm and 6am. Spearfishing is prohibited in all fresh waters
Spearfishing is prohibited in the following tidal areas (for precise boundaries consult the Fisheries Regulation 2008):
  • Bargara Beach (Bundaberg): the Basin.
  • Brampton and Carlisle Islands: waters between the islands.
  • Cape Edgecumbe: the foreshores and waters seaward 50 m from low water mark from the boat ramp in Greys Bay around Cape Edgecumbe to the eastern headland of Horseshoe Bay.
  • Cooktown: within 100 m of the main wharf and pontoons.
  • Dungeness and Lucinda Point: within 100 m of the public jetties.
  • Dunk Island: the north-western and western sides.
  • Great Keppel Island:the north western, western and southern sides.
  • Hayman Island: the southern and western sides.
  • Hook Island: the eastern, south-eastern and southern sides.
  • Lake Weyba (Noosa River): and waterway adjoining the lake and river downstream of Parkyns Jetty at Tewantin and the western tip of Goat Island.
  • Lindeman Island: the western and southern sides.
  • Long Island: the western side.
  • Maroochy River: waterways joining it downstream of, and including, the Cod Hole.
  • Mooloolah River: downstream of the Nicklin Way Bridge and Brisbane Road.
  • Artificial reef area Moreton Island near Cowan Cowan.
  • Noosa River: within 100 m of all public jetties in and south of the Noosa River.
  • North Keppel Island: the western and southern sides.
  • Port Dennison: waters under, or within 100 m of, the main wharf at Port Dennison, Bowen, and a structure attached to the wharf.
  • Pumicestone Strait: between a line from Elimbah Creek to Gallagher Point, Bribie Island and a line from Ninghi Creek to Dux Creek, Bribie Island.
  • Pumicestone Strait: north of a line from Bells Creek to the northern tip of the most northern island of a group of islands east of Bells Creek, to the western side of Bribie Island.
  • Richards Island (Bedarra Island): the north-western and northern sides.
  • Seaforth Island.
  • Southern Moreton Bay: Jumpinpin and the Southport Broadwater including the seaway Moreton Bay south of 27º42' S (Logan River).
  • South Molle Island: the northern side.
  • Tallebudgera Creek: upstream of a straight line between the eastern extremity of Burleigh Heads and the seaward end of the rock groyne near its southern bank of the creek end.
  • West Molle Island (Daydream Island): surrounding waters.
  • Woodgate: in the vicinity of the artificial reef, Hervey Bay.
  • Woody Island: in the vicinity of the artificial reef at the northern end of Great Sandy Strait.

(All imformation supplied by QLD DPI 2012)