Bird Wedge Tailed Eagle (Aquila audax)

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Compare the size of a crow and wedgie. Found him In a tree with his mate and 4 whistling kites all under attack of two crows. And as you can see in the second pic the crow is getting on the wedgies nerves by it not using its full wing span.
View attachment 10339View attachment 10340

Last edited:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
What great pics, especially the top one.
I know its anthropomorphizing, but the eagles facial expression does look rather grim.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Just a quick fix as seen in post 17 by XT John he pictures a Tasmanian wedge. The Tasmanian wedge tail is the only different race and only appears in Tasmania it is Aquilia fleayl . The main difference is the adults retain the pale nape which is only seen in younger birds (aquilia audax) on main land

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Not the greatest photo but this was the best distance and angle I could get to view
Nesting like so many other birds this time of year.
View attachment 18212

Brumby53

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
They are a Magnificent Bird - only just discovered this Thread - you do them proud with your wonderful Photographs thanks!!!
I live at "Mullion" which in the local Wiradjuri dialect means "Where Eagles Nest"
We see the birds often but I have only been fortunate enough to observe a breading pair one spring - and a lot of years ago now.