We need a WA meet

Chris8546

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Attn: WA Chapter of Bushcraft Oz

Gentlemen, following the success (and hilarity) of the recent meet, I was having a think about possible future venues.

A lady here in the Office who is in to 4wheel driving and bush camping has recommended Wellington Dam near Collie. Free camping around the lake with plenty of secluded spots.

Perhaps one or more of you have already been there but I'm just putting it out there. The photos she showed me looked pretty spectacular.

Plus I would still be up for a Mt Mambup trip any weekend if anybody is up for it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Attn: WA Chapter of Bushcraft Oz

Gentlemen, following the success (and hilarity) of the recent meet, I was having a think about possible future venues.

A lady here in the Office who is in to 4wheel driving and bush camping has recommended Wellington Dam near Collie. Free camping around the lake with plenty of secluded spots.

Perhaps one or more of you have already been there but I'm just putting it out there. The photos she showed me looked pretty spectacular.
Wellington Dam is a top spot. It's recently seen extension to a National Park and many upgrades to camping areas and access. There's a new walk track to complement the others already there, some of which join the Bibbulmun Track.
It could be a bit busy, and you need to book a spot in some campsites, so it would be worth getting more info about the secluded areas from your colleague.

Plus I would still be up for a Mt Mambup trip any weekend if anybody is up for it!!
Likewise! Though I do prefer cooler weather if I'm going to packing stuff on my back.

Chris8546

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Hi Redtail et al

I'm up for a Mount Mambup trip anytime someone is willing to come along.

Any weekend works for me!!

Chris8546

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Wellington Dam is a top spot. It's recently seen extension to a National Park and many upgrades to camping areas and access. There's a new walk track to complement the others already there, some of which join the Bibbulmun Track.
It could be a bit busy, and you need to book a spot in some campsites, so it would be worth getting more info about the secluded areas from your colleague.

Likewise! Though I do prefer cooler weather if I'm going to packing stuff on my back.
She just said you find a spot that you like and set up camp. The Rangers might make a visit to make sure your not having a fire during the fireban season but other than that she said they are pretty laid back.....
I'll try and get some more info, but it might be a reasonable choice for our next meet. I think Thrud or MDU or Bloffy suggested we make the 'meets' quarterly and I would certainly be up for that....

Chris8546

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score

Got to love eBay.....arrived a whole week early!!

Chris8546

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score

Yup, press a few buttons on your phone and it miraculously arrives at your front door a few days later....!

Initial thoughts are it's very, very similar to the Helinox chairs Thrud and MDU have, but at a 1/3 (or even a 1/4) of the price (on some sites) of the original. It's clearly a blatant copy. What is it they say about copying being the biggest form of flattery...?

It seems well made. It's very light and quite compact. The elasticated spokes snap together with a satisfying 'snap' similar to the ones on my Spartan tent.

I sat in it last night for a bit of a test before going to bed (approx 11:30pm) and woke up at 3:45am!!

So I guess it's supportive and comfy enough!!

Note1: That unexpected sleep might also be attributed to the cocktail of prescription drugs I am taking for my neck problem!

Note2: I actually had some wierd hallucinations on Tuesday night while sat in the back garden reading...! Similar I suspect to an LSD 'trip'! But I don't know for sure as I've only seen those effects in movies.

Back to the chair. I did have a bit of an issue getting the cover on the frame. The little pockets in the fabric into which the frame 'spokes', slot are very tight. They are also reinforced and thick so splitting or tearing shouldn't be an issue.

The first 3 'spokes' went in relatively easily(ish) but the 4th was a bit of a struggle to be honest. The cover fabric was stretched very tight by that point and I had to use a fair bit of force to get the last spoke into its little home.

I am assuming the fabric material will soften up with use - or I'll break the chair trying. Let's see what happens first!

Or maybe I was just doing it wrong and rushing like a bull in a china shop in my initial eagerness to set it up and have a sit in it. I'll have another little play tonight.

I can see the softish sand at my little camping spot being a problem for the thin little 'feet' (as in they might easily sink in), so some little mod might be required to increase the surface area of the feet. Send your ideas on a postcard to....

I'll test it out tomorrow when I make my weekly pilgramige of 10 minutes from my home to the ant hill I now call 'home away from home'. At least I'll be off the ground now and will be less attractive to the ticks!

In all fairness ticks haven't been an issue since I sprayed my boots, socks and trousers with the Sawyer Permethrin spray (which lasts up to 40 days or 5 washes). Despite there being literally millions of big ants (this really is an ant hill) I can't recall a single one crawling on me, and I've been there a dozen times now. The repellant probably keeps them away now but originally..... And I have been sitting on just a rubber mat I found on old Yanchep Rd on trip 3. Before they I just sat directly on the sand/dirt.

Note3: To self. Must stop rambling and stick to task.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I bought some rubber feet for mine from Bunnings and jammed them on after supergluing the original ones in place. Best to take your chair frame with you as I got the size wrong.

With the Helinox, savethe longer poles (for the back bit) until last, they have more flex in them. I will take a pic of the instructions

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Chris, my sister lives in Collie and they are keen motorbikers, as well as ferals, so I will check with her if she has any little secret spots. Several years ago, we stayed out there for a week and it wasn't until the last day that we saw anyone other than my sister's tribe. Camped right on the bank of the dam over Christmas holidays. Canoed, swam, read about four books, long bushwalks and a few (very scary) bike dinks.
Big plus one on the quarterly meets. You want to take the lead on this one Chris?
Cheers
Bloffy

Chris8546

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Chris, my sister lives in Collie and they are keen motorbikers, as well as ferals, so I will check with her if she has any little secret spots. Several years ago, we stayed out there for a week and it wasn't until the last day that we saw anyone other than my sister's tribe. Camped right on the bank of the dam over Christmas holidays. Canoed, swam, read about four books, long bushwalks and a few (very scary) bike dinks.
Big plus one on the quarterly meets. You want to take the lead on this one Chris?
Cheers
Bloffy
Crikey Bloffy

Is there any location in WA where you don't have family, friends or rellies living at or close to a proposed/suggested meet' spot...? 🤔

Now there is this nice little spot up in the Kimberly I know about....but perhaps a bit of a trek far for a long weekend!

Yep, I'm happy to give this a crack. It shouldn't have to fall on the same pairs of shoulders each time....

So if we start to look at dates after the 01 April we can presumably factor 'Bush TV' into our planning per my understanding of the appropriate rules and regulations.

Plus it will be getting cold by then.

So here goes.....

Gentlemen, would anybody have a problem with having our inaugural quarterly meet at (or close to) this Dam in Collie during the first weekend in May (Fri-Sun). The dates would be 03-05 i believe.

Is that a deal-breaker for anybody already?

In the meantime is anybody planning on heading up to Mt Manbup over the next few weeks...?

Cheers,
Chris

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
20190503-05 works for me.

May I suggest, should this be announced, that is goes in the subforum https://bushcraftoz.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?47-BushcraftOz-Meetings
... with a clear title, and date(s)? Approximate location would be helpful too.

e.g. WA Chapter meet - Collie, 3 4 & 5 May 2019

I believe it's more likely to be seen, rather than buried in this long thread, and has half a chance of staying on topic. :non sono stato io: