Want to buy a canoe need help!!

peter.robinson

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Link works fine for me.
Lep that's a good looking paddle. Thanks for the link to the design.
I've done some Greenland kayak paddles in western red cedar and they were lovely. Light but strong, though a little soft. Which way did you have the grain? On a kayak paddle you want the grain oriented so you have the edge grain showing on the face of the blade. If you lie it down with the blade flat on the floor, the grain lines should go vertically, not horizontally. It reduces the flex on kayak paddles and I guess it would be similar for a canoe paddle

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Got it working fine on my PC just didnt want to work on my mobile. I like the look of those paddles you made. Im not quite sure why but I am quite drawn to the ottertail.

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Just started working on a paddle for my daughter. I am making a Ottertail profile because the measurements are there. Did you use the measurements provided for one side of the profile from the centrline? I started working it out as total width but it looked very narrow. I am going to laminate some Douglas Fir with Western Red Cedar or make it out of Pine and dye it purple (my daughter loves purple).

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Haha I did the same.... Measurments from the center line out on each side... I still looked at the template I mad a few times thinking "really" just because of the shape and how long they are relative to the width. Post up some progress shots :)

Last edited:

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score

Template cut out ready to go just need to go and get a decent piece of wood. I made the shaft length longer so I can reuse the template possibly as my daughter gets taller may need to make another. My plan now is to use pine which I may need to laminate in order to get the handle thick enough. After the main cutting I am going to stain the timber purple and reinforce the paddle with fiberglass.

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
Looks like a good shape mate. Looking forward to see how it goes. Lep made me my Algonquin paddle and its a winner. Can't beay a home made paddle.

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Still have not finished my home made paddles however managed to get my boat on the water today. Wow!! I did not realise it would be so enjoyable however I found paddling quite difficult with my plastic aluminum shaft paddles. I had difficulty trying many strokes but im not sure wether it is me or the terrible design of the plastic paddles, any ideas?

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Mongoose. I am 6'4 and I found the plastic paddles with al shafts to short for many of the strokes, having the correct length will help.
Timber paddles have a feeling to them it might all be in my head but there is something about timber comfort , weight , feel who knows but get a timber paddle

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Well I am making good progress with my daughters paddle just need some varnish or something to finish it off. I have heard flax seed oil is very good but I may need something hardier.

Last edited:

barefoot dave

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Still have not finished my home made paddles however managed to get my boat on the water today. Wow!! I did not realise it would be so enjoyable however I found paddling quite difficult with my plastic aluminum shaft paddles. I had difficulty trying many strokes but im not sure wether it is me or the terrible design of the plastic paddles, any ideas?
Choose the correct length paddle for you:
The 'T'grip needs to be up to shoulder height (I prefer nose height)
Make sure you keep a grip of the T, it is your power grip.
Paddle vertical in the water and frame your face with the top forearm (opposite to paddle side).
Reach a long way forward and lift when level with you, don't drag unless you are doing the 'J' or rudder strokes.

Crappy consumer grade paddles do me in a wobbegong (usually towing another that wants to do circles). My record is towing 6 into a 15knot headwind. Don't want to do that again. :/
Oh, I in no way resemble Arnie or even Sly!
Technique will overcome most pooly designed paddles

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I think the problem for me mostly is previous upper limb injuries. After having carpal tunnel, cubital tunnel and tearing the muscles in my shoulders I am hesitant to work my upper limbs too hard.

Last edited:

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Not yet my daughter is eager to try it though. I decided to use spar varnish on this one after applying 8 coats it should hold up to abuse. I did just finish making myself one which I decided to oil instead it has a much nicer feel than varnish.