Mammal Wallabia bicolor (Swamp Wallaby)

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Scientific Name: Wallabia bicolor

Common Name: Swamp Wallaby

Sub-class: Macropodinae

Family: Macropodidae

Other Names: Black Wallaby, Black-tailed Wallaby, Fern Wallaby, Black Pademelon, Stinker (in Queensland), and Black Stinker (in New South Wales).

Distribution: northernmost areas of Cape York in Queensland, down the entire east coast and around to south-western Victoria to south-eastern South Australia.

Habitat: inhabits thick undergrowth in forests and woodlands, or shelter during the day in thick grass or ferns, emerging at night to feed.

Field Notes: The Swamp Wallaby is the only living member of the genus Wallabia.The species name bicolor comes from the distinct colouring variation, with the typical grey coat of the macropods varied with a dark brown to black region on the back, and light yellow to rufous orange on the chest. A light coloured cheek stripe is usually present, and extremities of the body generally show a darker colouring, except for the tip of the tail, which is often white.
The gait differs from other wallabies, with the Swamp Wallaby carrying its head low and tail out straight.
The average length is 76 cm for males, and 70 cm for females (excluding the tail). The tail in both sexes is approximately equal in length to the rest of the body. Average weight for males is 17 kg, females averaging 13 kg.

Photo by Auscraft 2011

View attachment 2328

Last edited:

Eugenio Coscarelli

Les Stroud
Reaction score
You need to make a correction to this as Wallabia bicolor is neither absent or rare in the southeast of South Australia. Their numbers have increased in the area in the last ten years and I encounter them just about everytime I go out bushwalking when in that part of the country. You may also wish to note that the Swamp Wallaby is crepuscular which means it feeds at dawn and dusk. I have seen them even later in the morning on a track in the forest where there is minimal traffic disturbance, mainly in wetter habitats.

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
I took this photo just after Xmas 2012 at Wilson's prom at Darby river. Notice the burrs stuck to it.
For those that don't know, Wilson's prom is the Southern most point of mainland Australia.

I have read that they can interbreed with other wallabies so there might be some argument over their classification.