WA - Stargazing on the Bibbulmun Track, Sat 5 April

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Come join us! I've organised my bushwalking group to do a sunset walk and stay on and check out the stars. We may - emphasis on may - be joined by a fellow bushcrafter from the far east. (Details later if it happens)

Anyhoo, here's a good excuse to drag yourselves and your better halves out for a rather unique dinner. This is the description I've posted for Redtail Bushwalkers:

Break out your planispheres or Google Sky Map! Join us for a sunset dinner, far from the glaring lights and madding crowd of the city.
We'll head off along the Bibbulmun Track to Abyssinia Rock. Free from the light pollution of our fair city, we'll dine outdoors and take in the sunset and stunning night sky. Bring all you want to eat and drink, a torch for the walk out, and probably warm clothes. Binoculars (or even a portable telescope, anyone?) are a great way to view the sky at night.
The Moon will be waxing around 33%, Betelgeuse will be near busting, and the emu should be in full view. Crux Australis will be crucial in finding south - ask us how!
3.30pm - meet at the Gull service station on the corner of Brookton Hwy and Canning Rd, Karragullen. See Google Map.
Parking is tight at the start point. It will be best to car pool from the service station. (We can work out seats on the night.)
Convoy to the start point where the Bibbulmun Track crosses the Brookton Hwy.

4ish - best foot forward, we start walking
5ish - arrive at Abyssinia Rock
6pm - sunset
9.00/9.30ish - back at the cars. Exact finish time will depend on the group.
Total walk distance is less than 10km return. That's a bit over an hour in (4.7km), and the same out.

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi Redtail, I would really like to join you on the walk but I will be heading off to NZ for some work.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
G'day Redtail,
Long way for a night trip sorry and I am working that weekend,
Hey Doc, maybe Mozzie might still be in NZ. Ideal place for a Bushcraft Oz meet....
Cheers
Bloffy

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Take 24 people, the Bibbulmun Track, a big rock and a sunset on a warm April night. Blend and allow to sit. This is the result ...

Pit stop on the way in. Felt like I was being watched
highres_348983292.jpg
Abyssinia Rock
highres_349715312.jpg

Redtails on a rock
highres_348984772.jpg

Looking west over the Darling Scarp
highres_348878612.jpg

One of the group is a keen photographer. Crux Australis was in full view.
highres_349068362.jpg

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Great stuff everyone. Great shots too mate! Looks like a great walk. I did some of the Holland Track a few years ago but I admit I had some 2 wheeled help.