WA meet - Grimwade in July

Decco

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Thanks for a great weekend. It was great having a laugh or two. Looking forward to the next one.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Okay, I got tabbed to do the write up. I never took any pix over the weekend, so I'll let the likes of Bodge and Thrud be the photographic recorders of a great weekend.
Bodge, they are great photographs. You're early morning walks obviously paid dividends.
I managed to be the first into Grimwade on Friday but only managed to be beat in Bodge by a half hour, and MJC88 followed another half hour later.
It's a strange thing meeting a group of strangers in a remote(ish) bit of bush, knowing full well they are going to be armed to the teeth with axes and knives...
We set up camp before dark and got the fire going. My Paul Bloffwitch patented fire set up worked well, but only after Bodge pulled out his fatwood supply as my usual trick of using drier lint let me down. It was taking a spark but not catching well.
The three of us sat around the fire, eating, chatting, having a quiet tipple (well not Bodge - he was a good boy) and getting to know each other, until about 10pm and headed off to bed.
There were light showers overnight which continued into the morning but it didn't dampen anyone's moods as the balance of our party, Decco, Mongoose DownUnder and his mate Adrian (I hope that's right - please forgive me if I got that wrong.) and finally Thrud rolled into camp.
It wasn't long before the toys started coming out and the bushcrafting skills started.
Thrud and I started building my bush loom (more on that in a minute), MDU and his mate set up their camp complete with a cooking fire and a reflector, MJC88 was building tent pegs using both axe and knives and Decco set up a pretty impressive cooking tripod over the "main" cookfire.
After dragging a long log out of the bush, MDU pulled out an assortment of saws which were pretty impressive and those others of us with saws also got involved. Mine wasn't in the race, let me tell you.
Now to the loom. After some R n D, Thrud and I managed to get the loom "working". I will say in my defence Your Honour, that I was merely intending to do a "proof of concept" experiment and, to that end, I class it as a success.
I intentionally used cheap as chips jute twine and never meant for this to be pretty. I didn't intend for it to quite so ugly but it did show that you could weave a mat in the bush. That said, I think it would take an awful lot of work to make anything of a decent quality.
However, some (actually pretty much everyone really) saw it, at best, as a modernistic, minimalist work of art, and, at worst, as a total WOFTAM....lol.
I am sure that, with practice, it would become easier. Honestly...nah, seriously, honestly, it would.
The day raced past and pretty soon we were set up around the campfire and enjoying each other's company.
After a yummy dinner cooked on the open fire, I decided to try a damper.
When it comes to cooking, I SUCK. BIG TIME. I must have thought my camp mates were Gods, because I gave them burnt offerings (with a nice doughy centre which I didn't charge extra for). I will take this opportunity to publicly apologise to all concerned for my severe lack of culinary skills.
Decco, I am sure your fry pan will recover. I hope....
Finally, it was time to hit the sack.
About 4.30am, two vehicles roared into our camp. One scared the begeez out of me, shining its spotlights straight into my hammock. Not sure what they were up to but it made for a bit of excitement in the 0'dark hundred.
Another down side of what was an absolutely great weekend was the motorbikes roaring around what was an otherwise fantastic site. Wouldn't mind so much if they came in, went past once and then went off exploring, but they just kept roaring up and down. They must have realised they were p1ss1ing us off but didn't care. Some people are just ignorant.
Sunday came around all too soon and with a sense of regret we all started packing up and getting ready to leave. After a round of goodbyes, we all headed off for home.
The only other thing that was a disappointment was the lack of an appearance by Browny.
Yes, that elusive creature of myth and fable failed to show again. The mystery continues.
Pix to come.
Cheers
Bloffy

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
A craftsman with words as well!

Thanks for organising this weekend Bloffy, you are a star.

Next time cook the damper on day one and we can use it as a road barrier to stop motorcyclists.

MJC88

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Cheers guys, now I can say I survived a weekend camping with a bunch of strangers I met on the internet!

It was nice to meet you all and get amongst it, lookin forward to the next one.

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Great write up Bloffy and thanks for the pics Bodge. Sorry I couldn't join you guys this weekend. I am baking in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia) with temperatures of up to 48°C and super dry, dusty and windy!

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Missed you out there, Doc. It was a great weekend.
@ Bunyipbait, Decco brought us up to date with your escapades.
Thrud sent a good range of pix through last night. I'll sort through, pick some out and put some comments against them.
Cheers
Bloffy

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
So, why is this distinguished body of fine gentlemen clustered around this log?

DSC04860.jpg

Of course! There's gear on show. In this instance, it was saws

DSC04861.jpg

The Adventure Sworn was pretty popular.

DSC04858.jpg

My personal favourite was the Opinel. Simple and stylish.

DSC04859.jpg

I think this was Decco's Silkie, but I would bow to the greater knowledge.

DSC04863.jpg

The BushcraftOz patch made a timely appearance.

DSC04919.jpg

And again on my "proof of concept" weaving experiment - or is it a piece of modernistic art? The jury was out.

DSC04921.jpg

Either way, it came to a fiery end, either as a way of me hiding the evidence, or as an expression of the average bushcrafter gaining release from his every day life.....

DSC04911.jpg

And some fat bastard wandering past a well set up and stylish Tiergear tarp, under which is a very comfortable Hennessy Hammock.

Thanks Thrud for sending these pix through. There were more but this was a cross section.
There are a couple missing though, mate.
Where is the evidence that you have progressed in your efforts to self-harm? Now you don't even need a knife and are doing it on reeds....
Also, where is the pic of my aborted damper? Thought that would have been the top of the list, given the amount of flack I copped.

A quick correction on my other write up.
MDU's mate is Aaron. My apologies to you both.
Cheers
Bloffy

Last edited:

Browny

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the write up and the pics. It was one of the hardest decisions I have made pulling out of the weekend.
In a major deviation from my usual state of being, I was forced to "Adult" and procure myself a roadworthy vehicle and fend of the dreaded man flu that we all fear so much.
My long suffering wife was actually surprised that I chose to tread the responsible path, but I have assured her it was the flu medication's fault and I won't let it happen again.
To add insult to injury, I have been forced (ok, maybe just coerced ) into purchasing a used sporty Mazda3 SP25 instead of the Tricked out mini 4wd Suzuki Jimny I would have preferred. (But could not afford)

Just for laughs, I think I may have to get myself a Ghille suit to wear when I can finally get my sorry arse down to a meet up with Bloffy. A bit like the elusive "STIG".

Anyways, thanks again for all the effort and reporting guys, super keen for the next meet. And I think the half way meet up point is a great idea too.

Be well my friends

Browny

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Sorry you missed it mate. It was a hoot.
Now you've got a good set of wheels, you might have to test it out on a road trip.
@ all the WA members: Seeing that this was a great success, would we be keen to opt for a quarterly meet? It can run at a different site each time, with someone new taking the helm. What do you think? Any takers to organise a Spring moot?
Cheers
Bloffy

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Sorry you missed it mate. It was a hoot.
Now you've got a good set of wheels, you might have to test it out on a road trip.
@ all the WA members: Seeing that this was a great success, would we be keen to opt for a quarterly meet? It can run at a different site each time, with someone new taking the helm. What do you think? Any takers to organise a Spring moot?
Cheers
Bloffy
This actually sounds like a very good idea!

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I thought I had sent the pics of the damper through?
Perhaps there is a good taste filter that prevented you receiving them.

I'll pop them up in the next day or so.

Good idea about Quarterly meets.

oncedisturbed

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Honey, I'm home :)

What did I miss while I was gone?

Great to see the meet up was a success and great pics and write ups, spewing I missed it.

A quarterly meet up sounds like a top idea which means I would be able to make an appearance at some point after recovery progresses.

On a side note, the slice and dice went far better than even the quack thought it would go as I've responded the fastest so far from all of his prior surgeries and fell over backwards the morning after as he walked into the ward seeing me out of bed having a feed.

He mentioned most of his prices have still been in bed 4-5 days or more after surgery before even trying to walk.

Never underestimate the power of the tap, let it flow through you.

oncedisturbed

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Damn autocorrect, should be "most of his priors" and not prices lol

Never underestimate the power of the tap, let it flow through you.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
No, prices is the right word.
Glad to hear you are making a good recovery. Great to hear.
Anyone want to take the bit between your teeth and organise the next meet.
Cheers
Bloffy

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Thrud, you are letting the team down mate.
Where's the pix of you continuiing your bleeding tradition and my damper abomination?
You know what they say. If there's no pix, it didn't happen. Which, I suppose is a win-win for both of us.
Cheers
Bloffy

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
And just to prove a point, here's my next attempt. Admittedly in the oven at home, but the same recipe.

20160730_130806.jpg

:_applauso: :fanculo: :_lol:

Cheers
Bloffy