WA meet - Grimwade in July

Browny

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Planning on loading some firewood in the back of the slug to take down. If it's convenient for a few of us to take some we should be covered whether we need it or not.

Should I pack the bushcraft chainsaw as well? ;D

Browny

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
On a side note... What sort of distractions are people looking at for the weekend?

Trad firelighting is obviously on the cards, anyone got any knappable goods?

Thoughts from others would be good.

I know that Doc would be most upset if we didn't carve a few spoons :_risata:

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Doc's also doing a 40 minute lesson on billy tea. . .
I was thinking about, maybe, string making and, possibly, trying out a bush loom but not sure how to do it. Will do some reading.
Probably both a night activity. By day maybe a tracking plate but I would need to call on the expertise of those who are more experienced than I.
Other than that, not much, but we will see. Keen to check out your ideas.
Cheers
Bloffy

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Here's a list we can add to;

Navigation excercise (Night and day), pace counting, traditional and emergency fire lighting, knapping, cordage, water procurement, bandaging for snakebite, knife sharpening for different grinds, basic deadfall triggers(demo only!), tracking, different tarp set ups.
Beer drinking for beginners, ghost stories(...perhaps not)

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Doc's also doing a 40 minute lesson on billy tea. . .
I was thinking about, maybe, string making and, possibly, trying out a bush loom but not sure how to do it. Will do some reading.
Probably both a night activity. By day maybe a tracking plate but I would need to call on the expertise of those who are more experienced than I.
Other than that, not much, but we will see. Keen to check out your ideas.
Cheers
Bloffy
:ngazzat:

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Here's a list we can add to;

Navigation excercise (Night and day), pace counting, traditional and emergency fire lighting, knapping, cordage, water procurement, bandaging for snakebite, knife sharpening for different grinds, basic deadfall triggers(demo only!), tracking, different tarp set ups.
Beer drinking for beginners, ghost stories(...perhaps not)
1) Practising first aid on Thrud
2) disarming Thrud
3) Practising small, concealed knife first aid on Thrud
4) drinking beer
5) checking on Thrud

... too harsh?

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Harsh, but, given my recent form I think extremely fair:risatonaD:

oncedisturbed

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I have bail out of this meet up as I go into Hollywood on the 20th for 5 days with stage 1 of spinal surgery so will be out action for awhile

Never underestimate the power of the tap, let it flow through you.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
All the best with your surgery, we will catch up once you're back on deck.

Browny

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
@oncedisturbed - Best of luck mate. Been under the knife twice for back issues, gotta be super careful with the recovery. Hope all goes well.

On a side note, the Excel has a bad case of asthma and smokes like a steam train. Hoping to have reliable transport in time for the big weekend. Will be there even if I catch the bus and have to bum a lift from the nearest town.

oncedisturbed

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Thanks guys, looking forward to being able to head out bush again

Never underestimate the power of the tap, let it flow through you.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
@oncedisturbed - Best of luck mate. Been under the knife twice for back issues, gotta be super careful with the recovery. Hope all goes well.

On a side note, the Excel has a bad case of asthma and smokes like a steam train. Hoping to have reliable transport in time for the big weekend. Will be there even if I catch the bus and have to bum a lift from the nearest town.

And so the excuses begin.....
Will the elusive Browny emerge into the wilderness. ......
Hoping you can make it.
Cheers
Bloffy

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Is there a specific spot we are meeting in Grimwade? I'll be heading down on the Saturday early am

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Not really anywhere specific. Google Map Grimwade and you will see that there is a dam. It's not big so you should be able to find us fairly easily. I would think this time of year we will probably be the only ones there.
Cheers
Bloffy

Bodge

Les Stroud
Reaction score

Which direction are you coming from? I can provide you a lift from the Bunbury area Friday arvo, I'm working but will drop to 8hrs so can be ready by 3.30 onwards.
cheers,
Bodge.

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Guys, I will not be able to make the Grimwade meet as I fly off to Saudi Arabia on Saturday 23rd July for a week. I hate it when work gets in the way of bushcraft!