WA Avon Valley Trip report...Pic Heavy

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Fantastic pics mate. Looked like a great trip.

silver_capsicum

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Sorry to dredge up the 6 year old thread but thought it's better than posting a new one.

I recently took my four year old for an overnight camp trip to the Avon Valley NP - still can't believe it's only an hour's drive from Perth. It wasn't a particularly "bushcrafty" trip but he is getting pretty good at helping set the fire (in the designated fire ring unfortunately), making a cuppa, sleeping in a swag etc. It's all part of the long game!

Once we got down across the train lines to the river it was like another world. The river was flowing pretty well considering the dry winter and it was really nice walking along the river banks through the flowers and low grass. Not much scrub along there, I guess because the river clears it out periodically, so very pleasant wandering along. It got me thinking - have any of the WA crew walked up the river for any significant distance? Have you done end to end through the NP? How are the rangers generally about this kind of camping? Seems like you did it the right way on this trip and got permission first.

Even if you just did the 10-15km through the National Park and then camped at one of the official sites at night, then walked back I reckon it would be great. The river goes all the way to Toodyay but leaves the National Park and looks like it goes through some farm land before it gets there.

IMG_20200912_144722000_HDR.jpgIMG_20200912_142727533.jpgIMG_20200912_141342596_HDR.jpg

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
If you want to camp near the river and walk along it you could always camp at Valley campground then walk to Bald Hill and camp, then there is always 37 Mile Break as well which has a campsite.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
The very first meet I went on up there, we accidentally did a 17k walk, coming back to 37 mile in a big loop. I've done bells to Walyunga, but nothing between the two

silver_capsicum

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Thanks guys, this is definitely on my list. Weekends fill up very quickly this time of year though so it might have to be one for next winter, I doubt I'll get up there again before the end of the year and think it might be a pretty different experience in January.