BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

• As of the 01/01/2023 the Bushcraft Oz Forum is now closed and has been placed in Archive mode. New Posts and Post Replies have been disabled but existing content can still be viewed. For more information please see the following post for more infomation. It is our goal to retain the wondeful contributions to the Bushcraft community over the years and a more appropriate way of displaying this is being considered for the future so the information is not lost. A perminent web archive of the forum state as of 30 Jan 2022 has been captured and can be viewed herea>.

Thank you all for a wonderful adventure and for your contributions over the years!

WA Avon Valley Trip report...Pic Heavy

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Doc, Uneekwahn, Myself and No2 son met at Doc’s on Friday Arvo and drove in Uneekwahn 4wd to the site in the Avon Valley, which we had permission from the ranger to camp at. Uneekwahn had done some earlier recon and had carted out the rubbish he found there. Rob Williams (of knife fame) had very kindly dropped of loads of his excellent home brew to keep us supplied, even though he could not join us. (Rob you are a gentleman.) Sadly when we arrived at the planned location there was more rubbish including a half burnt tent. We moved a little further down the banks of the Avon and found a very flat site with some good trees for the 4 hammocks. We deployed the hammocks, Doc had kindly brought along his spare set up for my son and instructed him in the setting up complete with knots. (He’s taught me the knots previously, but I can never remember them) There was plenty of dead, seasoned wood around to build a fire. The wood was hard, very hard and a combination axe and Bahco was required Uneekwahn’s experiments at home had shown that coconut oil soaked cotton wool balls would burn for 10 minutes, No2 son lit the fire on first strike of the fire steel and the coconut oil will be in the kit from now on. Once the tarps were up we wandered down to the Avon and Emu falls. The levels were slightly lower than recently, but still good flow and hopefully if the rain we have had today in Perth continues, the Avon descent will be a cracker. After various experiments with shutter settings for creative shots we headed back to camp. Supper was steak and chorizo and some rehydrated meals. Chocolate was individual portions, for safety reasons! The night was clear and cold and trying out the Crux clock I had made was a little tricky as the Crux was very high in the sky and I was about an hour out. For lighting we used Luminaids, I cannot recommend these highly enough. After enjoyable fireside banter we turned in for a night where the temperature dropped to zero. I had forgotten how close and how frequent the trains are at night in the Avon valley. The full moon provided some good photo opportunities.
The morning was misty and cold, but a breakfast of bacon, sausage, and scrambled egg with smoked salmon ( oh yeah!) sorted us out.
We went for a walk up the banks of the Avon, on a beautiful clear day. Returning in the early afternoon we collected resin from the xanthorrhoea, fluff from zamia and water from a small stream, using an excellent silnylon bucket from Sea to Summit. Back at camp we used the Sawyer filter, but the water was saline. I tried making a filter from a beer can with charcoal, sand and coffee filter. It did not work too well. Made some resin and charcoal to join flakes of stone to a wooden shaft, really as proof of concept. We gave my son the challenge of where he would build a temporary shelter; he correctly picked the tree and made a lean-to with the space blanket, small fire and reflector. It worked really well, relecting the heat back onto you when lying down or sitting. We made a video of Condie’s crystals, sugar and zamia fluff to start a fire ( see elsewhere)

Another cold night; Uneekwahn uses a Jacks r better full length under quilt, Doc uses a 3/4 length as do I. My son had a heavy duty space blanket then a 6mm foam mat and my old 5 season Mountain Equipment bag. I also used a very lightweight and very good Thermartex blanket under my legs and feet, it certainly worked very well. The ground sheets were black Tyvek.

A very enjoyable weekend.DSC02437.jpgDSC02436.jpgDSC02424.jpgDSC02423.jpgDSC02410.jpgDSC02460.jpgDSC02457.jpgDSC02454.jpgDSC02443.jpgDSC02476.jpgDSC02496.jpgDSC02494.jpgDSC02482.jpgDSC02480.jpgDSC02500.jpgDSC02502.jpgDSC02520.jpgDSC02529.jpgDSC02544.jpgIMG_1699.jpgIMG_1706.jpgIMG_1759.jpgIMG_1763.jpgIMG_1764.jpgIMG_1765.jpgIMG_1766.jpgIMG_1769.jpgIMG_1780.jpg

Attachments

• DSC02410.jpg
    DSC02410.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 21

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Guys, it was a truly great weekend. Thrud you certainly got to practice lots of skills whilst Uneekwahn and I lazily watched.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds great. I really love the night photography.

Its great that #2 Son was able to come along too.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
What a great trip! thanks for sharing the photos with us. I like the look of that space blanket shelter

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
And the LuminAID - where's the best place to get those?
Kathmandu want $31.98 each and promise to donate one for every ten sold to charity.
The manufacturer's website lets you "Give one (to charity), get one (for yourself)" for $27.95USD plus postage.
Postage shouldn't cost that much, I'da thunk. Might go check that out now and answer my own question.

Update: their website asks that international postage queries be emailed, but Contact page says they can't provide international postage. Hmmm.

Last edited:

SimonM

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Black Tyvek is an interesting choice what made you go for that?

I haven't seen black Tyvek before but if I am not mistaken it is usually a type 10 hard structure Tyvek, whereas most people would go with a type 14 soft structure for a camping application as it is lighter,more compressible, and still waterproof and breathable.

I haven't seen it first hand so curious as to how it performs.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
@simon The tyvek looks the same as mine, but in the ad it states it is 5mm thick, mine is about the thickness of a piece of paper and folds up very small and light it may be that that is a misprint and the thickness is 0.5mm, which would be right.

@Redtail, I got the Luminaid as Doc says from Ray Mears, as that was the only place I could find them last November, for one it would be $50+

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
@Redtail, I got the Luminaid as Doc says from Ray Mears, as that was the only place I could find them last November, for one it would be $50+

Thanks, I just looked them up ... 22GBP

Looks like Kathmandu is the best so far.

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Kathmandu (Hay St, Perth) has Luminaids in stock at $31.98 each. I may have to wander past on the way home.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
JEALOUS
Wow, looks like you blokes had an awesome trip. Pity about the first camp. There are some A$$hole$ out there.
If life stops going past at 500km/h for me, I'm gunna have to get some hang time with you again.
Fantastic photos mate. Well done mini-Thrud. Great bushcrafting. You survived the weekend without potentially severing a limb, which is more than your old man can usually say.....
Cheers
Bloffy